Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-24, 04:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I still like a sedan for my daily car. I always seriously consider an SUV but when I get back into a sedan its just what I prefer.

Now, I wouldn't want two sedans in the house. Having a multipurpose vehicle in the garage alongside the sedan is a must IMO.
Same, I only have multiple since we prefer driving them. My wife was convinced she wanted a tall truck/SUV until she actually drove one post 2 years of LS driving lo!

Reality of vehicle class hit her hard.
Old 08-08-24, 04:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

I like my sedan for cruising around. It's comfortable, fast, handles great, easier to park. Going through roundabouts in a sedan is much more pleasant than a higher vehicle.

I have my truck for when I want to be big or high. No need for a CUV in my garage. Maybe in 20 more years when my back goes.

Old 08-08-24, 04:43 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Since we've had so many announcements killing off sedans lately and I'm sure will have plenty more down the road, I figured it would best to have it all in one thread rather than keep making individual ones for every announcement every other week.

Today, the Mitsubishi Mirage is officially dead:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ficially-dead/

It's shocking that the entire Mitsubishi company isn't dead yet.
Old 08-08-24, 05:37 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

It seems like they're about to catch a lifeline from Honda.
Old 08-08-24, 05:46 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Echo sentiments of others who enjoy sedans as a daily driver. Our GS handles everything we need it to. We pack it to the gills for car camping in the summer (tent, chairs, food, etc) or winter sports (two adult snowboards and kid's skis) and it handles it all. We somehow manage without a roof rack either!

Last edited by BlueIS05; 08-08-24 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-08-24, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,770 Likes on 1,978 Posts

I don’t know how you do that lol. With two kids we struggle to get everything to fit in the van sometimes!

But before the kids were born we travelled in sedans all the time, three adults to the beach for 2 weeks etc no problem.
Old 08-08-24, 06:13 PM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t know how you do that lol. With two kids we struggle to get everything to fit in the van sometimes!

But before the kids were born we travelled in sedans all the time, three adults to the beach for 2 weeks etc no problem.
It definitely isn't easy! Lots of Tetris to get it all to fit, which was the worst when my daughter was younger and there were larger items like a stroller. Thankfully we are past those days now. My wife is very diligent about minimizing to only items we need for the trip too. What also helps is buying smaller/lighter (i.e more expensive). 6 person tent that packs smaller than the typical, tiny foldable chairs, etc. REI is the place for these. Having only one kid also helps. lol
Old 08-08-24, 07:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
It's shocking that the entire Mitsubishi company isn't dead yet.

Yes.....they have (just barely) survived conditions that previously forced Suzuki, Daihatsu, Daewoo, and Isuzu out of the American market.
Old 08-08-24, 08:28 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I like my sedan for cruising around. It's comfortable, fast, handles great, easier to park. Going through roundabouts in a sedan is much more pleasant than a higher vehicle.

I have my truck for when I want to be big or high. No need for a CUV in my garage. Maybe in 20 more years when my back goes.
I starting to wonder if I really need an SUV anymore

By the time I'm ready to go back to a sedan there won't be any left at the rate they are being discontinued. Lol
Old 08-08-24, 09:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
not making this about ev's but they're changing the usual sedan/ute trade-off. my ioniq 5 is about as long as a cuv, maybe not quite as tall but not far off. it has great space because v. short front/rear overhangs, flat floor throughout. it's comfortable, VERY fast, handles well enough (esp. with it's low c of g). it's easy to park and fun to drive. when i look at fwd or rwd ice cars with the long hoods after or before the front wheels, it's easy to see the packaging inefficiency.
Old 08-09-24, 12:43 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not making this about ev's but they're changing the usual sedan/ute trade-off. my ioniq 5 is about as long as a cuv, maybe not quite as tall but not far off. it has great space because v. short front/rear overhangs, flat floor throughout. it's comfortable, VERY fast, handles well enough (esp. with it's low c of g). it's easy to park and fun to drive. when i look at fwd or rwd ice cars with the long hoods after or before the front wheels, it's easy to see the packaging inefficiency.
It's not that great of a CoG as the road holding is meh at .85gs......it's good for an SUV but it's still just an suv. The short overhangs make it look cheap vs a long hood IMO but I understand that it's naturally more space effective....same way a econobox hatchback is. The N version is fairly quick to 60 sure, fast enough actually it prompted me to spend $5500 on stage 4 to get a 2.1 sec 0-60 lol!

The non-N version is over 3 seconds slower to 100 than even my NA car so it's not in the tier I would consider fast, not bad but not fast. 4.8 seconds 0-60 vs 3.8 on draggy for my NA with a top speed is also 85 mph lower than I'm used too.....not bad though for a car over 10 years newer even if it does cost more than twice as much actual price.

The same "driveline" in a car would be better to drive and that's the point many of us know and are trying to illustrate.

Last edited by Striker223; 08-09-24 at 12:50 AM.
Old 08-09-24, 06:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's not that great of a CoG as the road holding is meh at .85gs......it's good for an SUV but it's still just an suv.
Despite the roadholding figure, like all EVs they feel like they handle very well because the batteries are so low in the vehicle. Its a big difference, even in the PHEV Pacifica I can feel the lower CoG compared to the ICE ones I had and it feels much better, even if the roadholding figure wouldn't reflect that with ultimate grip.

What matters to me and most buyers is handling feel not ultimate grip at the limit, because we will never approach the limit.

The same "driveline" in a car would be better to drive and that's the point many of us know and are trying to illustrate.

I don't think in this case thats true. The Ioniq 5 is a car, its not an SUV. Its like a little bigger VW Golf in design. The Ioniq 6 is the same vehicle in a sedan body, skidpad is .86g, so basically the same.

My guess is you haven't driven one, I haven't driven an Ioniq 6 but I have driven the Ioniq 5 and they are great. Very sure footed and premium feeling with a nice ride and very flat handling.

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-09-24 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-09-24, 08:28 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

There is just way more cool SUVs than sedans.
If you shop around, you can see that the auto manufacturers are clearly putting the $$$ into suvs vs sedans.

The new Eclass and 5series are pitiful.
3series has been refreshed for 3rd time instead of redesign.

There is maybe a handful of sedans I like compared to easily 10+ SUVs that I would consider.
Old 08-09-24, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The new Eclass and 5series are pitiful..
The new E Class is excellent, not pitiful at all.

Overall though no question manufacturers are putting more into SUVs. I still prefer a sedan.
Old 08-09-24, 08:39 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This "Dead Sedan Announcement" thread has become the debate about the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread haha.

Quick Reply: Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)