Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-24 | 08:41 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jwong77
This "Dead Sedan Announcement" thread has become the debate about the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread haha.
Of course.
How else will we figure out whyyy??? 🤓
Old 08-09-24 | 08:41 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t know how you do that lol. With two kids we struggle to get everything to fit in the van sometimes!

But before the kids were born we travelled in sedans all the time, three adults to the beach for 2 weeks etc no problem.
Easy, you just bring less stuff. If you were flying to the beach instead of driving, you'd somehow figure out how to manage within the limits.

We only have one kid, but took multiple week or longer trips when he was young in an E46, E90 (both of which are smaller than a modern civic/corolla), or RX350. He's a teenager now, and in a few weeks some friends are flying up and the five of us will be driving out for a 4-day weekend involving boating, waterparks, and cooking roughly half our meals. One of the goals of this trip vs. prior iterations is doing no grocery shopping while we're there, so we'll be bringing that food/beverage/snacks up with us as well. We're taking the Q7 which is obviously bigger than all of those (and it's admittedly not 2 weeks long), but I will 100% still be able to see out the rear window when fully packed.
Old 08-09-24 | 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Easy, you just bring less stuff. If you were flying to the beach instead of driving, you'd somehow figure out how to manage within the limits.

We only have one kid, but took multiple week or longer trips when he was young in an E46, E90 (both of which are smaller than a modern civic/corolla), or RX350. He's a teenager now, and in a few weeks some friends are flying up and the five of us will be driving out for a 4-day weekend involving boating, waterparks, and cooking roughly half our meals. One of the goals of this trip vs. prior iterations is doing no grocery shopping while we're there, so we'll be bringing that food/beverage/snacks up with us as well. We're taking the Q7 which is obviously bigger than all of those (and it's admittedly not 2 weeks long), but I will 100% still be able to see out the rear window when fully packed.
Thats why we don't fly to the beach lol

I'm all for bringing less stuff. Convince my wife!

This is 3 adults and two kids at the beach for a week

Old 08-09-24 | 09:03 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
3series has been refreshed for 3rd time instead of redesign.
2nd time. Pre LCI was 2019-2022. LCI is 2023-2024, and at that time they announced an extension of production of about a year, through June of 2027. They're doing a 2nd (not 3rd) refresh for MY2025-2027. This is so that the G50 (CLAR platform, ICE) 3-series and the NA0 (Neue Klasse platform, BEV) i3 can be introduced together.

Last edited by geko29; 08-09-24 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-09-24 | 09:56 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I'm glad the 3 series is getting at least one more ICE generation. Unfortunately I assume it will be 4 cylinder only except for the M3, the same way the new 5 series lost the V8 outside of the M5.
Old 08-09-24 | 10:31 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I'm glad the 3 series is getting at least one more ICE generation. Unfortunately I assume it will be 4 cylinder only except for the M3, the same way the new 5 series lost the V8 outside of the M5.
I wouldn't be so sure, for 2 reasons:

The G20 "LCI2" (in quotes because they're not using that term here) is introducing the B58TU2, I would be extremely surprised if they stop putting that in the 3-series less than 3 years later.

The initial launch model designations of the G50 have already been announced, and the top one is the M350 xDrive. Highly unlikely that's a 4-cylinder. My guess is B58 mild hybrid.
Old 08-09-24 | 08:15 PM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by jwong77
This "Dead Sedan Announcement" thread has become the debate about the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread haha.
And this is how conversations usually go off-topics.
Old 08-10-24 | 12:12 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's not that great of a CoG as the road holding is meh at .85gs......it's good for an SUV but it's still just an suv. The short overhangs make it look cheap vs a long hood IMO but I understand that it's naturally more space effective....same way a econobox hatchback is. The N version is fairly quick to 60 sure, fast enough actually it prompted me to spend $5500 on stage 4 to get a 2.1 sec 0-60 lol!
The non-N version is over 3 seconds slower to 100 than even my NA car so it's not in the tier I would consider fast, not bad but not fast. 4.8 seconds 0-60 vs 3.8 on draggy for my NA with a top speed is also 85 mph lower than I'm used too.....not bad though for a car over 10 years newer even if it does cost more than twice as much actual price.
The same "driveline" in a car would be better to drive and that's the point many of us know and are trying to illustrate.
there is so much self-congratulation and 'superior' attitude in your post vs my 'cheap' and 'slow' car, lol, not worth responding to your points, and not on topic. glad you're happy with what you have.
Old 08-10-24 | 09:14 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
The new X3 kept inline 6 for M50 model so it should be available for new 3series. There are rumors that there will be no X3M though.

The new X3 interior is horrendous btw. All the cars approved during Covid have significant cost cutting.
Old 08-10-24 | 11:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
there is so much self-congratulation and 'superior' attitude in your post vs my 'cheap' and 'slow' car, lol, not worth responding to your points, and not on topic. glad you're happy with what you have.
Funniest part is your car cost more than his did…
Old 08-10-24 | 11:42 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Most of the cheaper cute utes and smaller crossovers are just fancy cars that are jacked up to be a crossover it really makes no difference IMO. A Corolla and Corolla Cross are pretty much the same thing. Same with a A class Mercedes and whatever the Crossover they call it. Subaru Impreza hatch and the crossover version are apparently identical inside design and space wise too

Personally. If I were looking or a sedan replacement, I might as well just get a crossover. Two crossover designs I really like are the new Lexus NX and Lexus RX. I also admire that the NX are RX are both 2 row
Old 08-10-24 | 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Most of the cheaper cute utes and smaller crossovers are just fancy cars that are jacked up to be a crossover it really makes no difference IMO. A Corolla and Corolla Cross are pretty much the same thing.
A major difference between the Corolla and Corolla Cross is that, except for the GR model, Corollas do not offer AWD, one of the primary reasons why people choose crossovers. And the AWD system and underpinnings/tires on the GR are designed more for high-performance than for winter traction.
Old 08-10-24 | 02:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A major difference between the Corolla and Corolla Cross is that, except for the GR model, Corollas do not offer AWD, one of the primary reasons why people choose crossovers. And the AWD system and underpinnings/tires on the GR are designed more for high-performance than for winter traction.
Corolla sedan does have awd.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-10-24 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-10-24 | 03:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Corolla sedan does have awd.

ICE Corolla sedans don't, except for the hybrid and GR. But, yes, you have a point, if you include the hybrid.

But, the point was that most Corolla Cross models are probably going to be sold with AWD, and most regular Corollas won't. Plus the Cross has a little higher ground clearance.
Old 08-10-24 | 04:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
ICE Corolla sedans don't, except for the hybrid and GR. But, yes, you have a point, if you include the hybrid.

The Corolla hybrid awd doesn’t sentence the owner to a fuel economy penalty. Awd actually adds fuel economy.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-10-24 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)