Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-24 | 05:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't looked into the AWD Corolla hybrid. Are the rear wheels driven solely by electric motors?

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 08-10-24 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-24 | 05:43 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

They are. The rear is electric awd. I assume the car runs mods in EV mods as the awd is 1 MPG greater than the Corolla FWD hybrid.

(might be different batteries)

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 08-10-24 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-10-24 | 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I haven't looked into the AWD Corolla hybrid. Are the rear wheels driven solely by electric motors?

Yes, there is a separate electric motor for the rear axle.

If you are interested in one, give yourself plenty of time to research and find one. The relatively few that are available are in high demand, and dealerships typically either don't have them readily in stock, or don't get many allocated ones.

Personally, I think most Corolla interiors (and those of most lower-grade Toyota products) are on the cheap and tacky side, but I have a lot of respect for the drivetrains and mechanicals that are under the skin....that is where you usually find Toyota quality.
Old 08-10-24 | 11:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you are interested in one, give yourself plenty of time to research and find one. The relatively few that are available are in high demand, and dealerships typically either don't have them readily in stock, or don't get many allocated ones.

Personally, I think most Corolla interiors (and those of most lower-grade Toyota products) are on the cheap and tacky side, but I have a lot of respect for the drivetrains and mechanicals that are under the skin....that is where you usually find Toyota quality.
I'm not in the market for an economy sedan. I've got all my vehicular bases covered between the F-150 and the 540i.
Old 08-12-24 | 02:26 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I just remembered that the Jaguar XF was getting axed after this year too, along with every other vehicle in their lineup save the F-Pace crossover.

Just a few days ago it was revealed that the brand won't unveil anything until a concept car in December and then suspend all new car sales for at least a year.

Last edited by Motorola; 08-12-24 at 02:44 AM.
Old 08-12-24 | 07:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

RIP Jaguar
Old 08-12-24 | 07:39 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

The last gen of Jag sedans were really great looking cars. That said, reliability was still hit or miss. An old colleague of mine had an XJ and when it worked it was great, but at least once a quarter he was in a loaner because it had some issue. He got rid of it when the lease was up.
Old 08-12-24 | 10:09 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Jaguar is still a brand? Lol
Old 08-12-24 | 01:26 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
RIP Jaguar
Yeah, they're done for.
Glover also said that the brand’s higher prices and lower volume ambitions (put at a maximum of 50,000 units a year) mean it is less preoccupied with mainstream market trends: “We’ve chosen a value over volume game, which is why we’ve gone to the price points we’ve gone to.
Old 08-13-24 | 04:39 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
I just remembered that the Jaguar XF was getting axed after this year too, along with every other vehicle in their lineup save the F-Pace crossover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqLZiUZEsk

Just a few days ago it was revealed that the brand won't unveil anything until a concept car in December and then suspend all new car sales for at least a year.
Its so disappointing how badly Jaguar has been managed while Land Rover is doing really great.

I think they were planning to go all EV but now nobody wants EVs so they are in no man’s land. Horrible mismanagement!
Old 08-13-24 | 04:42 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Allen K
The last gen of Jag sedans were really great looking cars. That said, reliability was still hit or miss. An old colleague of mine had an XJ and when it worked it was great, but at least once a quarter he was in a loaner because it had some issue. He got rid of it when the lease was up.
The old XJs are still so classy looking.
My dad had one of the newer ones with the modern design. Too bad Jaguar never updated it, its still a great design to me.
Old 08-14-24 | 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Some manufacturers are still staying with sedans...they aren't dead yet in the U.S. Kia, for example, is introducing a new gas-powered K4, which replaces the old Forte. I won't go into it much in detail here, since I just opened a new Car Chat thread on it.
Old 08-14-24 | 05:23 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Some manufacturers are still staying with sedans...they aren't dead yet in the U.S. Kia, for example, is introducing a new gas-powered K4, which replaces the old Forte. I won't go into it much in detail here, since I just opened a new Car Chat thread on it.
Sedans are way more popular in South Korea than the U.S. The US only gets a fraction of the sedans that Hyundai and Kia sell in SK.
Old 08-21-24 | 11:34 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Another dead Nissan product:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...50-sedan-dead/
Old 08-21-24 | 12:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That ones a shame

Quick Reply: Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)