Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-24, 08:16 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)

Since we've had so many announcements killing off sedans lately and I'm sure will have plenty more down the road, I figured it would best to have it all in one thread rather than keep making individual ones for every announcement every other week.

Today, the Mitsubishi Mirage is officially dead:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...ficially-dead/

Old 08-07-24, 09:44 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,221 Likes on 907 Posts

That's actually a sad loss, they were excellent industrial tools and crazy reliable/easy to live with from an operational perspective.
Old 08-07-24, 09:51 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Not something I've ever been in the market for, but it is sad to see the last sub-20k new cars disappear from the market.

Just a sign of cars becoming less feasible for the poor.
Old 08-07-24, 09:56 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Not something I've ever been in the market for, but it is sad to see the last sub-20k new cars disappear from the market.

Yes sir, I feel the same way.
We need low cost appliance cars but I also know the margins are razor thin.
Old 08-07-24, 10:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I, for one, am also sorry to see the Mirage go, but the inevitable question comes up.....does anyone actually BUY them? In the last ten years, I have personally known only one person who has actually done so....one of my neighbors, with a low income by my standards, buying one for his daughter. While it is true that you cannot sell what you do not produce (and I have strongly said that for years), it is also true that, once it is obvious that a vehicle is not going to sell, the company only wastes time, money, and resources on its production when it could be using those resources elsewhere, and producing vehicles that ARE in demand.
Old 08-08-24, 12:40 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I think most people with low income just buy used cars. Hell, I'm not even low income and I've never bought a new car.

Sales of this model peaked in 2019 at 26,000 and has been dropping ever since.
Old 08-08-24, 04:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The good news, however, is that the new Chevy Trax, much more highly-rated in its new 2Gen version, is available now for not much more than that. And it will put a Mitsubishi Mirage to shame. In fact, for just 24-25K now, you can get a new Buick......Envista.
Old 08-08-24, 05:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

if no one was buying them and there was no money in making/selling them, i don't see it as 'sad'... just reality.
as you said, rather than a very basic small vehicle like the mirage, might as well get a used car.

inflation and endless regulations have forced prices for cars up and squeezed margins when trying to sell to a price point, so the cheapest cars are always going to be the first to go.

Old 08-08-24, 06:54 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I don’t have a strong feeling about this car one way or another. The general trend of sedans being killed off does bother me It’s just going to be a sea of SUVs and CUVs which bothers me because there won’t be any options who do not like the handling characteristics/ driving dynamics of vehicles like that. When I hear someone say they like to sit up high, to me, that’s a non driver who most likely doesn’t routinely look down the road to anticipate upcoming hazards or traffic patterns. I do acknowledge I just described the majority of people who operate vehicles on public roads (they are not drivers).
Old 08-08-24, 10:34 AM
LexFinally
Racer

Received 940 Likes on 590 Posts

I think most people with low income just buy used cars. Hell, I'm not even low income and I've never bought a new car.

Sales of this model peaked in 2019 at 26,000 and has been dropping ever since.
The only cars in demand at Nissan dealers are the two cheapest ones, the Versa and the Sentra, because of their circa-$20k pricing.

The carmakers just don't want to accept the reality that there's a limit on what consumers can pay. Which is also why you had a giant run on Mavericks while $80k F-150s piled up on dealer lots with a 9-month supply.

Cars like the Spark and the Mirage died a deserved death because they were miserable. Cars like the Accent and Rio died because their makers eyed the higher margin of marketing the same car with taller struts and plastic cladding as a "crossover" and charging $3k more.
Old 08-08-24, 12:13 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 461 Likes on 306 Posts

Why kill sedans only to revive even lower volume coupes like: Toyota Supras, MR2's, Honda Preludes and Mazda RX-7's?
Old 08-08-24, 03:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,221 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Why kill sedans only to revive even lower volume coupes like: Toyota Supras, MR2's, Honda Preludes and Mazda RX-7's?
They are platform shared so it doesn't cost them anything. Toyota doesn't even make the Supra nor did they develop it
Old 08-08-24, 03:20 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

There is really no good use for sedans at all at this point.
They provide less space, comfort and utility than a SUV.
They provide less performance, worse handling and less appealing styling compared to Coupes / convertibles.

If you have kids - its a no brainer to get SUV.

I was a huge sedan fan but having our X3 SUV, it is sportier and faster than most sedans and provides much more space / utility.

I still have my M3 sedan btw 😀 but unlikely I will get another sedan in the future.

Last edited by RNM GS3; 08-08-24 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-08-24, 03:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I still like a sedan for my daily car. I always seriously consider an SUV but when I get back into a sedan its just what I prefer.

Now, I wouldn't want two sedans in the house. Having a multipurpose vehicle in the garage alongside the sedan is a must IMO.
Old 08-08-24, 03:58 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
One of those is a BMW and is being discontinued, the others don't even exist yet outside of Kirk Kreifels's clickbait fantasy wishlist.

Quick Reply: Dead Sedan Announcements Thread (now the merits of CUV/SUV's vs sedans thread)