Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Cuts S-Class Production Because of Lower Sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-24, 11:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Is Maybach even a brand or a model? I thought Maybach was just the highest end package for the GLS and S class. I'm not sure a buyer looking to buy a RR or Bentley would go and say yea I want a tarted up S class for stupid money.
Exactly. It used to be a brand but now it's just a trim level
Old 08-26-24, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
Yes they have S500.
I thought the options and interiors were the same.
They have AMG pack and bunch of other options.
The S500 doesn't have the Nappa leather standard, it has crummy basic leather. Nappa leather is very rare on an S500. My S580 has exclusive nappa which includes real leather on the doors, dash, etc which you hardly ever see on an S500.

I also disagree that young people don’t want Sclass. The styling of the car from exterior is great. It lacks sporty driving feel obviously but most young ppl could care less.
I am by far the youngest person I see driving an S Class lol

I see about 10 new Sclass for each new 7.
Well sure, the new S has been out since late 2020 and the new 7 came out in 2023. 7 is outselling the S Class this year though and last year it was within a couple hundred units.
Old 08-26-24, 12:03 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The S500 doesn't have the Nappa leather standard, it has crummy basic leather. Nappa leather is very rare on an S500. My S580 has exclusive nappa which includes real leather on the doors, dash, etc which you hardly ever see on an S500.

I am by far the youngest person I see driving an S Class lol

Well sure, the new S has been out since late 2020 and the new 7 came out in 2023. 7 is outselling the S Class this year though and last year it was within a couple hundred units.
Come to NY - plenty of young ppl driving them.
Its the status symbol for immigrants that achieve success.

The only way 7 is selling more is if BMW is offering huge lease incentives to move them. MB lease programs are typically much higher.
Either way its a huge blow to Sclass. Hopefully MB redesigns interior for mid-cycle refresh.
Old 08-26-24, 12:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

The only way 7 is selling more is if BMW is offering huge lease incentives to move them. MB lease programs are typically much higher.
Either way its a huge blow to Sclass. Hopefully MB redesigns interior for mid-cycle refresh.
Thats very true, the triple pointed star is the stereotypical "we made it" brand for basically everyone. I've seen many a C/E class owner who acted like the king of roads lol!
Old 08-26-24, 02:30 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 475 Likes on 314 Posts

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sales Figures | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)
BMW 7-Series Sales Figures | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)

Benz know what they are doing.
Benz tend to charge maximum prices with minimum discounting.
After a bit of settling, the aging S Class will outsell the 7 Series.
Past years, 7 Series sales well behind S Class.
IMO, the new 7 Series has such an ungainly nose, I could not buy it.

Old calendar 2015-22 7 Series, esp refresh gorgeous:

New calendar July 2022 - onwards 7 Series fugly:

Last edited by peteharvey; 08-26-24 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-26-24, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

We've talked before about NYC not being a representative sample of anyplace but NYC lol

To be clear, the 7 is outselling the S Class, thats a fact. Look up the numbers. Of course BMW has better lease programs, but they always have thats nothing new.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
IMO, the new 7 Series has such an ungainly nose, I could not buy it.
Thats you, but thats my point...people are clearly buying it. More people that are buying the S Class. Also more people than the G12 generation you prefer.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of young Armenians/Middle Easterns driving S-Class leases here in SoCal too. I wouldn't be surprised if other large urban cities share similarities in this.
Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The average S Class owner is 63. I looked it up.
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gor134
Lots of young Armenians/Middle Easterns driving S-Class leases here in SoCal too. I wouldn't be surprised if other large urban cities share similarities in this.
100%

I’m down in Miami a few times a year and definitely young ppl there driving Sclass obviously if you go up north a little bit to Boca / Palm Beach then its lots seniors.

I think overall it’s based on affordability not because young ppl don’t want Sclass.
911 has average owner over 60yrs old I believe.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

911 has average owner over 60yrs old I believe.
Actually its 52
Old Yesterday, 12:44 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

We've talked before about NYC not being a representative sample of anyplace but NYC lol

To be clear, the 7 is outselling the S Class, thats a fact. Look up the numbers. Of course BMW has better lease programs, but they always have thats nothing new.

Thats you, but thats my point...people are clearly buying it. More people that are buying the S Class. Also more people than the G12 generation you prefer.
BMW 7-Series Sales Figures | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)
The G11/12 debut in July 2015 with 2016 its first full year and sales peaked at nearly 13k units; thereafter, sales decayed as usual.
The G70 debut April 2022 with 2023 its first full year with less than 11k USA.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Sales Figures | GCBC (goodcarbadcar.net)
W222 debut June 2013 with 2014 its first full year sales at a whopping 7 Series bashing sub 25k!
W223 debut September 2020 right in the middle of COVID-19, but by 2022 COVID, S Class sales still managed to exceed 15k - which even new G70 7 Series has not been able to match at only sub 11k in 2023.

7 Series sales has only managed to just surpass S Class sales in the first 6 months of 2024 USA.
If I'm not wrong - a midlife refresh is yet to come for the aging S Class to nail the new G70 7 Series, or has refresh come already?

Yes, I also suspect that high age of S Class ownership more to do with capacity to purchase.
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

7 Series sales has only managed to just surpass S Class sales in the first 6 months of 2024 USA.
Which is something that never happens...thats the point.

As usual your analysis of sales figures ignores the fact that sedan sales are a diminishing market to begin with. Every generation will have lower sales, whats interesting is that the 7 is outselling the S Class which is extremely atypical.

Yes, I also suspect that high age of S Class ownership more to do with capacity to purchase.
Then why does the more expensive Porsche 911 have a 10+ year younger average buyer age? The S Class is just not a young persons car.
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

As usual your analysis of sales figures ignores the fact that sedan sales are a diminishing market to begin with. Every generation will have lower sales, whats interesting is that the 7 is outselling the S Class which is extremely atypical.
Generation for generation, sedan sales falling, however September 2020 W223 Benz with peak >15k sales still outsold newer April 2022 G70 7 Series which only managed <11k.
7 Series only "just" outsold S Class first 6 months of this year; not by a large margin.
W223 midlife refresh not yet released???

Then why does the more expensive Porsche 911 have a 10+ year younger average buyer age? The S Class is just not a young persons car.
The more expensive Porsche 911 is a coupe with 2+2 impractical seating, hence lower sales than S Class sedan.
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Generation for generation, sedan sales falling, however September 2020 W223 Benz with peak >15k sales still outsold newer April 2022 G70 7 Series which only managed <11k.
7 Series only "just" outsold S Class first 6 months of this year; not by a large margin.
W223 midlife refresh not yet released??
You miss the point. This has not happened before even when the 7 series was much newer than the S Class.

The more expensive Porsche 911 is a coupe with 2+2 impractical seating, hence lower sales than S Class sedan.
We’re not talking about sales amounts, we’re talking about average buyer age. The point is that the price is not the reason why average age of the S Class is higher.
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Comparing 7 Series and S-Class sales isn't providing the whole picture because 7 Series sales also include the i7. To be a totally fair comparison, S-Class and EQS sales would have to be lumped together - and when they are they're higher than the 7 Series as usual.

Mercedes' big mistake was making the EQS and S-Class two different vehicles.

Quick Reply: Mercedes Cuts S-Class Production Because of Lower Sales