Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes Cuts S-Class Production Because of Lower Sales

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The average S Class owner is 63. I looked it up.

That's older than the average new Buick-buyer today LOL....which, today, is between 55-60, depending on which particular survey you look at. It once was up near 70...but the Encore and Encore GX lowered it quite a bit. The convertible Cascada COULD have probably lowered it even more, but few were sold.
Old Today, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Comparing 7 Series and S-Class sales isn't providing the whole picture because 7 Series sales also include the i7. To be a totally fair comparison, S-Class and EQS sales would have to be lumped together - and when they are they're higher than the 7 Series as usual.

Mercedes' big mistake was making the EQS and S-Class two different vehicles.
I don't agree with this. The EQS and the S Class are very different cars, and the EQS doesn't necessarily ppeal to the same buyer. S Class sales in the past included the coupe, for instance...MB has the Maybach variants and BMW has no Alpina or V12 model this generation...they have always had different trims. The EQS and S Class are no more similar than the 7 Series and 8 Series GC, should 8 Series GC sales be lumped in with the 7?

You just compare model to model, its the only way.
Old Today, 08:32 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don't agree with this. The EQS and the S Class are very different cars, and the EQS doesn't necessarily ppeal to the same buyer. S Class sales in the past included the coupe, for instance...MB has the Maybach variants and BMW has no Alpina or V12 model this generation...they have always had different trims. The EQS and S Class are no more similar than the 7 Series and 8 Series GC, should 8 Series GC sales be lumped in with the 7?

You just compare model to model, its the only way.
The EQS fills the same niche as the i7 and is the direct competitor to the i7. And Mercedes already has the AMG GT 4 Door to compete against the 8 Series. Either way you can't compare S-Class to 7 Series alone because there is no actual EV S-Class to compare to the i7. If there is a way to see 7 Series sales without the i7, I would still bet they are less than the S-Class.

The S Coupe was a super niche offering and didn't have much of an impact on sales numbers, hence why it was axed. I don't know if the same can be said about the i7.

Last edited by Motorola; Today at 08:36 PM.
Old Today, 10:03 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

I think the EV's and Ice should always have different model names and should be compared only to another mfgs EV or ice.

Another words, an Ice S Class should not be compared with sales numbers for a BMW EV.

Totally different market so no mixing and matching models and drivetrains.
Old Today, 11:04 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I bet the lease incentives and other typical EV dealer discounts on the i7 are doing quite a bit to help pump up the sales numbers similar to the EQS.