Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jay Leno, the ultimate car enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-24, 12:39 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

I grew up watching Leno. Really enjoyed him on the Tonight Show.

As for the current crop of hosts, I probably prefer Colbert. Kimmel has a few hits here and there.

I really miss Conan. He is great.
Old 08-25-24, 07:46 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Go watch some Youtube clips - I haven’t watched any late night show in years but the few clips of the current hosts are all terrible. Much rather have Leno / Letterman back.

Hope Leno’s health is ok.
I don't have to watch clips I've watched all the shows. I just always tune out for the interview segments, I always did with Leno and Letterman too. I watch the monologues and the bits and thats all.

The new shows are products of the times, and are way more popular with younger viewers.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I really miss Conan. He is great.
Conan is great. Have you watched/listened to his podcast? Its great too.
Old 08-25-24, 08:32 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I find the fact that every time I flip channels and watch late night, it’s always political and even if I agree/disagree, it’s fatiguing and I don’t care what celebrities think. In the same vein of Seinfeld, the shows would be funnier if they were about nothing.
Old 08-25-24, 08:51 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I find the fact that every time I flip channels and watch late night, it’s always political and even if I agree/disagree, it’s fatiguing and I don’t care what celebrities think. In the same vein of Seinfeld, the shows would be funnier if they were about nothing.
I agree...I want some escapism lol.
Old 08-25-24, 11:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Anyhow, back to Leno. Here's a video on what is arguably his favorite set of wheels.....a perfectly-restored 1955 Buick Roadmaster that is fully-stock on the outside but heavily-modified in powertrain and chassis. He spends the first couple of minutes on an automotive steam engine from 1925, then gets into the Buick.

I can understand why he loves the Roadmaster. I once had a 60s-vintage Electra 225, which superseded the 50s-vintage Roadmaster. Most comfortable car I ever owned, hands-down.

Old 08-25-24, 12:03 PM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

if he is a car guy I like him..He is going to leave a museum of cars when he goes.
Old 08-26-24, 11:27 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I don’t find anything “disgusting” but late night shows are definitely different than they used to be, it’s a sign of the times. Jimmy Fallon is kind of Leno-like

Stephen Colbert is a very funny guy.
colbert was at his funniest when he played the character of himself on the colbert report, his genuine personality rarely makes me laugh anymore these days... it's not like the good ol days where letterman could sort of be a **** to celebs but it was only his show or leno's if they wanted to promote their movie... nowadays the hosts mostly just have to suck up to avoid the guest not wanting to come back lol

peak letterman interview for me is probably paris hilton right after she got out of jail for her dwi: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33y2e

fallon is leno-like in that he plays 'the game' and doesn't do anything edgy that might upset network execs and affiliates, but he's a shill and rarely funny anymore
Old 08-26-24, 11:33 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Go watch some Youtube clips - I haven’t watched any late night show in years but the few clips of the current hosts are all terrible. Much rather have Leno / Letterman back.

Hope Leno’s health is ok.
i always liked leno for his car stuff but as a tonight show host total snoozefest... tbh the best late night host had to be craig ferguson, conan's the best for his remote segments and letterman would crack me up the most when it came to handling on stage awkwardness and peculiar moments that clearly annoyed him lol
Old 08-26-24, 03:02 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

saw this vid over the weekend. i've always like jay for his love of cars (and bikes) and this video highlights that. seen him driving around when i lived in the valley.
with james (loved TG), jay goes into british vehicles and cycles which was wonderful and appropriate. merlin powered car?! i've seen his heli powered bike before.

he does look much older than before due to recent face and knee surgeries - both car/bike related incidents!