Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I bought a 2024 Ford Mustang. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 11:59 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Is there really a need for the douchebaggery? Can't we just celebrate someone enjoying their new car? And more to the point, it's for his 23 year old son.
​​​​​​ Right? It seems that there's often a lot of punching down on this forum at "lesser" cars and their owners
Old Today, 12:48 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Really nice, and I like the Fox Body gauge view. Wish BMW would allow customized vintage displays.
Congrats to your son!!
Old Today, 12:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegean
My 23 old son needed a car mostly to commute to his new job and going out. I told him buy only a reliable Japanese car but he bought a brand new 2024 Ford Mustang Ecoboost. I am impressed with the car so far.

Handling, power, exhaust sound but the big surprise was the technology. Two screens with 13.2 inch for the middle one and almost every driver assistance technology available by other manufacturers. Ford did its marketing homework for the millennials.

What do you think overall about the 2024 Mustang?
Congrats to your son. He is 23 so it’s highly unlikely he will want to drive a Japanese car. The screens inside the Mustang are pretty nice. My friends son purchased a new 24 Mustang 5.0 with manual. I hope you son gets many many years of enjoyment out of his new car.
Old Today, 12:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 241 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
​​​​​​ Right? It seems that there's often a lot of punching down on this forum at "lesser" cars and their owners
i'd say you have a point if it were about someone's corolla or civic, those are perfectly fine cars that someone gets because they need "a car"... but the mustang is a "cool car" thus is fair game for further critical comments... nobodys ever found themselves in a tough situation where the only way they could continue making it to their job and supporting their family was by buying a new mustang lol

tbh a non-V8 mustang should get some flak, it's just "not right" and won't make any of the sounds a mustang is supposed to make... gotta say though it looks sharp!
Old Today, 01:51 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Even better than the B58?

RC F Sport
RC F other choices
B58 is BMW so inherently not part of the comparison

The F cars use engines from 2006 so they aren't relevant and if they were in the conversation they would be up against the 5.0 and we know how that plays out
Old Today, 01:54 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Congrats to your son. He is 23 so it’s highly unlikely he will want to drive a Japanese car. The screens inside the Mustang are pretty nice. My friends son purchased a new 24 Mustang 5.0 with manual. I hope you son gets many many years of enjoyment out of his new car.
I'd be surprised if 23 year-olds at large prefer American cars to Japanese. All the young dudes I talk to would prefer a BRZ/GT86 or a hot hatch like a Veloster N(i know, not Japanese), a Civic Type R, or a GR Corolla.
Old Today, 02:57 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Looks sharp! I think I prefer the previous design but it should be fairly reliable and fun. By the way I think the screens are appealing to Gen Z and not millennials. Gen Z started at birth year 1997.
Old Today, 02:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,226 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I'd be surprised if 23 year-olds at large prefer American cars to Japanese. All the young dudes I talk to would prefer a BRZ/GT86 or a hot hatch like a Veloster N(i know, not Japanese), a Civic Type R, or a GR Corolla.
Till they get exposed to V8s......I'm doing my best to convert as many as possible lol!
Old Today, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Till they get exposed to V8s......I'm doing my best to convert as many as possible lol!
With all due respect, you apparently forget that, all else equal, the 4-Ecoboost version handles better.....less bulk and weight up front to burden the front wheels.
Old Today, 03:21 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,007 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With all due respect, you apparently forget that, all else equal, the 4-Ecoboost version handles better.....less bulk and weight up front to burden the front wheels.
I haven't driven one so I only take off -1 in coolness points.

Still gets cool points because it's a cool car.
Just need to name "eco-boost" something else.

Remove the "eco" part, that's all and back in business!. Lol
Old Today, 03:30 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Very nice car, especially for a 23 year old. Congrats!!
Old Today, 04:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Couple years ago guy in a 620hp 2nd Gen Viper GTS was behind me on the track. Coming up on a 3,200 straightaway his exact words were “man I couldn’t catch you on the straight. What do you have done to this thing?” We’ve been buddies ever since. Also the owner and his father of a 1LE SS came up to ask about my car as well. I ran him down by turn 4. I was in my Japanese 4dr 4 banger.😉

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Ive never seen an Ecoboost mustang on track. See tons of GT350s