Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Latest Gimmick for Pickup Trucks...or a Useful Option?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-24, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Lightbulb The Latest Gimmick for Pickup Trucks...or a Useful Option?

GM has just filed a patent for a new system on pickup beds that automatically moves cargo from the front of the bed to the back, supposedly making it easier to unload in some cases. Seems like vehicles get more and more complex each year......but what do you all think? Is this feature potentially useful enough to be worth its complexity and risk of failure, or just one more gimmick for the engineers to try and justify their salaries with?

https://gmauthority.com/blog/2024/08...nloads-itself/

GM Files Patent For Pickup Truck Bed That Unloads Itself

GM has filed a patent application for a pickup truck bed system capable of uploading itself. The patent application was assigned patent number US 2024/0262274 A1 with the United States Patent and Trademark office (USPTO) and was published on August 8th, 2024. The patent was originally filed on February 3rd, 2023, and lists several U.S.-based engineers as the inventors, including Paul. W Alexander, Jesus Anthony Bernal, and Eric James Bontrager.

This patent application describes a cargo unloading system designed specifically for pickup trucks. The system aims to automate the process of unloading cargo from the truck bed, making it more efficient and less labor-intensive.

The system utilizes a tension-loaded drive mechanism that incorporates multiple bladders connected to a compressor. The bladders can expand and contract along the length of the truck bed, pushing whatever cargo happens to be loaded there. The level of push pressure is controlled by a series of straps and spools attached to the bladders. As the compressor increases the pressure within the bladders, the straps tighten, creating a counterforce that moves the cargo towards the rear of the truck bed, making it easier to unload.

The drive mechanism is quite sophisticated, with the system capable of adjusting the push pressure to ensure that the cargo is moved at a consistent and controlled rate. This cargo unloading system could be particularly beneficial for people who frequently transport heavy or bulky items in their pickup trucks. As the application points out, the traditional methods of unloading, such as manually pulling items out of the bed or using a rope or chain, can be physically demanding and time-consuming. This system could prove to be highly valuable in commercial settings where efficiency and speed are critical – for example, construction workers, landscapers, or delivery services that need to unload materials quickly and safely.

Old 08-28-24, 07:41 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

If they want to impress me, make a dump bed a standard option! 🤓
Old 08-28-24, 07:47 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

I like dump beds in utility vehicles, this just screams lazy suburbanite status symbol to me.
Old 08-28-24, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
If they want to impress me, make a dump bed a standard option! 🤓
Originally Posted by Striker223
I like dump beds in utility vehicles, this just screams lazy suburbanite status symbol to me.
Yes, I was thinking more or less the same thing.
Old 08-28-24, 08:02 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Absolutely wasteful. I keep a $15 rake in my truck for pulling things to the back when I don't want to climb up in. It's a much simpler solution to this problem.

Old 08-29-24, 01:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Absolutely wasteful. I keep a $15 rake in my truck for pulling things to the back when I don't want to climb up in. It's a much simpler solution to this problem.

That's OK for light or less-bulky stuff, but a standard rake probably won't help much if you are carrying relatively heavy logs of firewood like many truck owners do.
Old 08-29-24, 02:33 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I still debating the value of GM’s multi folding tail gate. Looks cool but does it really get used?

In contrast I see the integrated bumper steps used all the time and quite a simple and elegant design.
Old 08-29-24, 03:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's OK for light or less-bulky stuff, but a standard rake probably won't help much if you are carrying relatively heavy logs of firewood like many truck owners do.
Many truck owners never use the beds at all, they are just the modern full size car around most well off areas if you can't afford the latest full size suv or want the truck vibe.