Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Will Stellantis (Chrysler) be reorganized yet again?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-24, 01:54 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
He doesn't need any of that. He has pride in the organization!
I love it, pride in an organization he claims to be CEO of that doesn't even exist.

Old 09-03-24, 01:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,781 Likes on 1,986 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
^
It makes no sense to have one model for a mainstream brand.
There are additional expenses for having signage, website, legal disclosures, etc to keep Chrysler name.

It would fit perfectly as Dodge Caravan.

Dodge will be losing Billions on the new Charger and who knows how much loss in sales revenue compared to previous gen. The new cars are priced 50% higher!
The Pacifica in the upper trims is a little too upscale to fit in right with the Dodge brand. Not saying that is worth them keeping the brand alive but I think that is true. Dodge gas a redneck-ey connotation that I could see Pacifica buyers having an issue with. Honestly I gotta say even for me the Dodge brand would be a turnoff, and I have bought 3 Pacificas...

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yet, Dodge-brand minivans sold in huge numbers for decades, even with competition from the Sienna, Odyssey, Quest, and Ford/GM minivans ....or are you just referring to the idea that the Pacifica itself may be too upscale to be branded a Dodge?
Thats my thought process.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
my credit score is too high to care.
Let Stellanis/Chrysler or whatever die, so other companies can survive and use the extra income for R&D.
FWIW Jeep products, Ram products and the Pacifica actually have pretty high average buyer incomes...
Old 09-03-24, 01:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,073 Likes on 2,584 Posts

I wonder after the 2nd bankruptcy the company will finally realize they need to make better vehicles.
Old 09-03-24, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

They actually make pretty great vehicles now. My 2017 Pacifica was a first year and it was a nightmare but my 2020 Pacifica was great as is my 2023.
Old 09-03-24, 02:06 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

The Ram Tungsten that just came out is seriously incredible. The interior blows away anything I have seen from any brand (yes, including the luxury makes) in these past couple of years. Chrysler could have never dreamed of making an interior like this back under either Iacocca or Mercedes.

Old 09-03-24, 02:48 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Pacifica in the upper trims is a little too upscale to fit in right with the Dodge brand. Not saying that is worth them keeping the brand alive but I think that is true. Dodge gas a redneck-ey connotation that I could see Pacifica buyers having an issue with. Honestly I gotta say even for me the Dodge brand would be a turnoff, and I have bought 3 Pacificas...

FWIW Jeep products, Ram products and the Pacifica actually have pretty high average buyer incomes...
No offense but I have never looked at a Chrysler and thought of it as a premium or even luxury vehicle. Just old looking and cheap, probably PT Cruiser effect.

The Dodge brand is more associated with Sportiness led by the Hemi push the past 20 years. It’s very popular with the young people and hip hop world now plus those street takeovers. Obviously not great for brand association.

I saw a clean white Challenger the other day and still great looking American car. Sad it’s no longer made.
Old 09-03-24, 02:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No offense but I have never looked at a Chrysler and thought of it as a premium or even luxury vehicle. Just old looking and cheap, probably PT Cruiser effect.

The Dodge brand is more associated with Sportiness led by the Hemi push the past 20 years. It’s very popular with the young people and hip hop world now plus those street takeovers. Obviously not great for brand association.

I saw a clean white Challenger the other day and still great looking American car. Sad it’s no longer made.
Not offending me, its a minivan lol. I don't look at the Chrysler brand and think of it as upscale either, but Dodge does feel downbrand to me. For instance I have no interest in a Durango but I would buyt a 3 row Grand Cherokee.
Old 09-03-24, 04:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Yes, thanks..........that's why I said earlier I couldn't vouch for the total accuracy of that story. Seems like You Tube is full of non-prophetical "prophets" LOL.
you said the ram was canceled, not the article or video.

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
my credit score is too high to care.
thanks for sharing, but what relevance does that have here?

The Pacifica in the upper trims is a little too upscale to fit in right with the Dodge brand.
haha, yeah the dodge doesn't have corinthian leather.

Dodge [h]as a redneck-ey connotation that I could see Pacifica buyers having an issue with.
well having a brand with one model is also a turn off to a lot of people, wondering when the axe will fall!

also, dodge has the durango, which may be older than dirt, but it's still pretty nice inside with great space.

you are very much not the typical pacifica (or car) buyer!

yeah, but having said that, part of my association of chrysler is the 300 and breaking bad's walter white finally getting the hot hemi version.

yup, i know young people with challengers in wild colors. also, just check out the website - confirms everything you say.

I have no interest in a Durango but I would buyt a 3 row Grand Cherokee.
the durango is 30 years older design than the jgc.
however, it should appeal to you because it's based on an old mercedes platform when mb owned chrysler!
Old 09-03-24, 04:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

forgot to add... i looked at the model 300 web page which shows it's a 2023 model (cuz i guess they wouldn't be bothered to do anything this year ).

but look at the center screen. (if you can find it )

Old 09-03-24, 04:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
well having a brand with one model is also a turn off to a lot of people, wondering when the axe will fall!
Pacifica sales are doing very well...I have never heard anybody comment on the brand only having one model.

you are very much not the typical pacifica (or car) buyer!
I don't know that I agree with that. I think I fit the demographic pretty well. Early 40s, two kids, dog...

Theres a reason why Chrysler cancelled the Caravan and not the Pacifica, and why they had a Chrysler variant of their minivans to begin with...they could have very easily made the Pacifica a Dodge but they haven't, theres a reason...their market research shows them that would somehow impact their bottom line.
Old 09-03-24, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Pacifica sales are doing very well...I have never heard anybody comment on the brand only having one model.

Perhaps not specifically here at CL, but virtually every auto journalist I have heard recently has commented on it.

I think I fit the demographic pretty well. Early 40s, two kids, dog...
Soccer Dad? Seriously, that's probably more of a stereotype than a demographic.

Theres a reason why Chrysler cancelled the Caravan and not the Pacifica, and why they had a Chrysler variant of their minivans to begin with...they could have very easily made the Pacifica a Dodge but they haven't, theres a reason...their market research shows them that would somehow impact their bottom line.
Despite the Caravan's (and Grand Caravan) explosive sales for many years, I don't think Dodge management really wanted it on their plate anymore....it no longer fit their image. Dodge was trying to be the Stellantis sport-oriented "Excitement" division......just as Pontiac once was at GM before it got dropped.
Old 09-03-24, 05:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Perhaps not specifically here at CL, but virtually every auto journalist I have heard recently has commented on it.
I mean people who actually buy the vehicle.

Soccer Dad? Seriously, that's probably more of a stereotype than a demographic.
My kids inherited my total lack of athletic ability lol

Despite the Caravan's (and Grand Caravan) explosive sales for many years, I don't think Dodge management really wanted it on their plate anymore....it no longer fit their image. Dodge was trying to be the Stellantis sport-oriented "Excitement" division......just as Pontiac once was at GM before it got dropped.
I think that’s part of it too.

Theyre on track to sell 140,000 Pacificas this year, so my guess is they don’t want to mess with success. Bear in mind that does not include the Voyager…which is fleet only now.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-03-24 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-04-24, 07:11 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Another tragic loss of life, a 21 year old who was driving a 2016 Cry Slur Challenger

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...hicago-suburb/
Old 09-04-24, 07:18 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

@S2000toIS350 , we get it. You don't like Chrysler. That's enough posts about the actions of individual owners. This thread is about the organization of the company itself.
Old 09-04-24, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Because nobody ever dies in any other carmakers products...

Quick Reply: Will Stellantis (Chrysler) be reorganized yet again?