Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Project Farm Test: Strongest double-sided tape on the market?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-24, 07:43 PM
hyperformance
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Farm Test: Strongest double-sided tape on the market?

While not all products are made the same, which brand double-sided tape is stronger?
This is a post focused on identifying which type and brand of double-sided tape works best for different types of surfaces.

You can watch the strength test video here

While searching for information on mounting tapes, I was forced to conduct research on the differences between the black 3M double-sided tape and the dark-grey double-sided tape. After conducting secondary data research on the various types of mounting tapes, I learned that a number of the tapes that are made by various brands, many of them are too boastful while underserving.

My researched ended up on a YouTube video that was produced by Project Farm. In this video, the gentleman who tested out a number of tape brands identified which tape worked on different surface types. The one key factor he didn't cover was which type of 3M VHB tape was strongest. As a result, I continued my research and learned that:

The main difference between black and dark grey 3M VHB tape is that the black tape is flame retardant, while the dark grey tape is designed for high temperatures:
  • Black 3M VHB tape
    This tape is flame retardant and has a closed-cell acrylic foam carrier. It adheres well to painted and powder-coated surfaces.
  • Dark Grey 3M VHB tape
    This tape is designed for high temperatures and has a closed-cell acrylic foam carrier.
The main difference between black and gray 3M VHB tape is that the 3M VHB 4611 Dark Gray Tape is a general purpose adhesive with firm foam and high temperature resistance.

3M VHB tape is known for its durability, solvent and moisture resistance, and ability to create a consistent bond. It's also flexible and viscoelastic, which means it can flow into surface irregularities to create a strong bond.

3M VHB tape is a double-sided acrylic foam tape that can be used for a variety of applications, including:
  • Assembly, mounting, fastening, and sealing: 3M VHB tape is used in the assembly of many products, including cell phones, skyscrapers, refrigerators, and electronic highway signs.
  • Joining materials: 3M VHB tape can be used to join a wide range of materials, including metals and plastics. It can often replace mechanical fasteners like rivets and screws.
  • Decorative applications: 3M VHB tape can be used for nameplates, logos, and sign assembly.
  • Transportation: 3M VHB tape is used in transportation applications. For example, aluminum trailer skins are attached using 3M VHB tape because it's stronger than rivets.
  • Combining dissimilar materials: 3M VHB tape can be used to combine dissimilar materials.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-05-24 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Fixed video link