Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota's legendary V8 has a problem

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:47 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
Default Toyota's legendary V8 has a problem

Take CCN's advice and change your coolant every 50,000 miles and forget about 10,000 mile oil changes go for half that. If you don't this will very likely be the result. I'm baffled to this day why Toyota didn't continue to evolve the UZ series engine there was zero reason to scrap it and go with the UR series.

Old Today, 06:17 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

I watched this one last night. Interesting that cylinder 7 is almost always the problem, sometimes cyl 5.

I don't remember the IS F ever having head gasket issues and some of those have high miles. I don't spend any time on the RC F board to see if anyone is having issues.

Oil changes for me are 5k or less and coolant will be done earlier than recommended. I just crossed 7k miles in my 500. It's going to take me a long time to reach 200k.

Last edited by LH1; Today at 06:22 AM.
Old Today, 06:57 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,234 Likes on 918 Posts

The UR is the evolution of the UZ, it's a modernized V8 with advanced tech using a similar bottom end and size from the same company.

Issues mentioned here are typical and why I've been also saying for years that IMO it doesn't matter what engine it is never go over 5k miles on oil and coolant lifespan should always assumed to be half. It's more about prevention of electrolytic corrosion than anything else due to all the dissimilar metals in car engines......
Old Today, 07:27 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 164 Posts

In its 229k mile life I never drained or flushed coolant on my ‘08 Tundra. I added coolant 1 time because the hot engine coolant light popped on one time while I was towing my car (just left home). Bought some coolant from Walmart, filled up the radiator then proceeded to tow 210 miles. Never touched it again after that. Never seen the light againNot great advice to follow but just my experience.
Old Today, 07:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Maybe the Land Cruiser owner shouldn’t have ran regular octane gas
Old Today, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

My mechanic told me never to go 10k OCIs in my LS460s years ago.

To be fair comparing the UR to UZ, nobody ever suggested that you could do 10k OCIs in the UZ, if everybody was running around doing 10k OCIs with UZ engines you have no idea what issues you would have.

My MB Mechanic also said no 10k OCIs in the Mercedes either. He said the valve cover issue I had at 50k miles was caused by clogged oil separators which wouldn't have happened with 5K OCIs. I did 10k in the S560 because I knew I wouldn't keep it where the LS460s I always entertained the idea I might. I will do 5k OCIs in the S580. I'm actually considering doing the in between 5k change myself just for giggles.

In general 10k OCIs are just not a good idea on an engine you want to keep for 100k+ mileage.
Old Today, 10:22 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

My Civic apparently has the ability to gauge and report oil degradation. It shows oil life % and oil changes are typically between 4-5k miles.

Unrelated, but I always use premium octane gasoline
Old Today, 11:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,199 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I watched this one last night. Interesting that cylinder 7 is almost always the problem, sometimes cyl 5.

I don't remember the IS F ever having head gasket issues and some of those have high miles. I don't spend any time on the RC F board to see if anyone is having issues.

Oil changes for me are 5k or less and coolant will be done earlier than recommended. I just crossed 7k miles in my 500. It's going to take me a long time to reach 200k.
The ISF did have an issue with Valley plate leaking coolant, but I don't think it was anything serious.

Even using 10k oil, I've always done 5k intervals. Every other oil change I would send samples to Blackstone, and they would always tell me what I suspected....around 7K is the "sweet spot". And if you have a turbocharged with DI, I would never go 10k because of fuel dilution in the oil
Old Today, 11:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
The ISF did have an issue with Valley plate leaking coolant, but I don't think it was anything serious.

Even using 10k oil, I've always done 5k intervals. Every other oil change I would send samples to Blackstone, and they would always tell me what I suspected....around 7K is the "sweet spot". And if you have a turbocharged with DI, I would never go 10k because of fuel dilution in the oil
Any DI will dilute the oil, Lexus is one of the worst because of the start to strategy to get the cats lit off. They start and spike rpm's high and dump fuel instead of using an SAI system, current Hondas have severe issues with fuel thinning the oil causing total failure
Old Today, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Any DI will dilute the oil, Lexus is one of the worst because of the start to strategy to get the cats lit off. They start and spike rpm's high and dump fuel instead of using an SAI system, current Hondas have severe issues with fuel thinning the oil causing total failure
Tell me about it 🤣 I had a 2018 Si and the oil level would be higher in the morning until the fuel would burn off. You could smell it. My mechanic told me that he's getting quite a few 10th and 11th gen Accords and Civics in that need new engines. When I was there Friday for a tire rotation, a guy delivered a replacement Civic engine for yet another one that was blown
Old Today, 11:23 AM
gor134
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do my oil changes every 5k on my Audi alongside some oil treatment which has improved it's oil burning. It's funny.. you will find people who SWEAR by doing the 10k oil changes on their Audi 2.0 and in the same breath they say it's "normal" to burn a quart every 2,000 miles.. no, it's not normal and if you did your oil changes every 5k from the start you wouldn't be burning oil.
Old Today, 11:39 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gor134
I do my oil changes every 5k on my Audi alongside some oil treatment which has improved it's oil burning. It's funny.. you will find people who SWEAR by doing the 10k oil changes on their Audi 2.0 and in the same breath they say it's "normal" to burn a quart every 2,000 miles.. no, it's not normal and if you did your oil changes every 5k from the start you wouldn't be burning oil.
My 2013 Sienna is now over 170k miles, and has no leaks whatsoever, and I never have to add even a drop of oil between oil changes. Engine also still purrs like a happy kitten. When I used to have the "free oil changes" from Toyota, I used to take it to the dealership, and then one of my friends who was service manager for Toyota of Milpitas told me that even though I'm bringing it to them every 5k, they are actually only changing the oil every other visit...I stopped taking it to them and just took it to my mechanic for oil changes so I could change the oil every 5k.

I'm normally a follow the service manual type of person, but not when it comes to oil changes, transmission service and brake fluid. I follow the Severe service Intervals, which is why I'm pretty sure my Sienna is going to easily last over 200k
Old Today, 12:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Oil is so cheap, may as well.
Old Today, 12:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oil is so cheap, may as well.
He charges me $60, fully synthetic, and that also includes tire rotation. He'll also fully inspect the car if I ask him to at no extra charge. Cheaper than a new engine
Old Today, 12:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tell me about it 🤣 I had a 2018 Si and the oil level would be higher in the morning until the fuel would burn off. You could smell it. My mechanic told me that he's getting quite a few 10th and 11th gen Accords and Civics in that need new engines. When I was there Friday for a tire rotation, a guy delivered a replacement Civic engine for yet another one that was blown
I have been blanket warning ALL of my customers with those engines that they NEED to use euro spec XX-30w oils or at least a high spec 0W-20 with short changes to prevent death and to not do a bunch of short trips, most of them listened to me and were stunned that the issues stopped. It's really disturbing to me Honda just doesn't take the simple fix of recommending a different oil weight or spec to stop the failures, it's like Land Rover with their idiotic 20 weight recommendation for the 3.0/5.0 SC engines

Quick Reply: Toyota's legendary V8 has a problem