Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Upcoming Ford GT SUPERCAR Is The Truth!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-03, 03:33 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Upcoming Ford GT SUPERCAR Is The Truth!

Just how BIG of a deal is the upcoming Ford built SUPERCAR the GT? (which it's performance numbers clearly put it into the category!)
Well let's see what the Europeans have to say:

11/24/2003 -- The number of European customers expressing interest in buying the Ford GT is twenty times greater than the number of cars that will be brought to Europe by Ford! As a result the number of Ford GTs that will come to Europe through official Ford channels has been increased to 101 from the 80 proposed originally.

This number is the same as the original volume of 101 Ford GTs that was produced by Ford in Europe. The increase also recognises the extraordinary interest generated by the car in Europe, the Ford GT having been a highlight of Ford Motor Company’s 100th anniversary celebrations in 2003.

Potential customers have been eager to register their interest although European prices have yet to be announced. In the US, a price of under $150,000 has been indicated, but there will be a premium in Europe to cover additional shipment and homologation costs. Deliveries in Europe are expected during the fourth quarter of 2004.

Over 2,000 customers for 101 cars

European customers wanting to register their interest in purchasing one of the limited edition of Ford GTs have been able to do so via a dedicated website, www.FordTeamRS.com. So far there has been a total of 1,900 website registrations and a further 250 customers have approached Ford directly to express interest in buying the Ford GT.

Unfortunately, only a proportion of those European customers applying to buy a Ford GT will be able to take the ultimate step towards purchase. The lucky few will be selected according to a set of criteria intended to match the most deserving and appropriate buyers with this iconic car. The President and COO of Ford of Europe, Lewis Booth, and his most senior executives will approve the final selection.

Production Ford GT comes to Europe

Earlier this year, one of the three non-saleable Ford GT production prototypes made specifically for Ford Motor Company’s 100th anniversary was brought to the UK. This red Ford GT, chassis number 002, took part in the tenth annual Goodwood Festival of Speed, where it appeared alongside a line-up of Ford's most famous racing cars from around the world, including the three winning GT40s from the 1966 Le Mans 24-hour race. A highlight of the Festival is always the central display outside Goodwood House. This year Ford created the tallest structure ever seen there, a massive work of art depicting one of the proudest moments in Ford’s motorsport history, the 1966 GT40 Le Mans 1-2-3 victory. The Ford GT40 went on to further Le Mans victories in 1967, 1968 and 1969, and the Ford GT is a modern reincarnation of that fabulous racing car.

First car sold at Pebble Beach Auction:

The first GT offered for public sale in the US, car number 10, was auctioned by Christies at the 2003 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on August 17. The successful bid of $557,500 exceeded expectations, with the proceeds going to charity. For 53 years the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance in California has been the place to see the most beautiful, unusual and rare automobiles. It is also an event at which a great deal of money is raised annually for charity. Ford Motor Company supported both of these Concours staples by making a Ford GT available for sale.

Ford Motor Company will certify that this is the first Ford GT sold, and the car will be produced to the successful bidder’s specification, including colour and options, for delivery through a Ford dealership after production begins in spring 2004.

Innovative Engineering

A little more than one year ago, Coletti was offered a career opportunity – lead the Ford GT engineering program. The catch: The first three cars were to be delivered for Ford’s Centennial celebration.

Coletti teamed up with Neil Ressler, a former Ford vice president who left retirement to consult on the program, to quickly select the Ford GT “Dream Team” of engineers and consultants. Neil Hannemann was tapped to be chief program engineer and oversee the day-to-day development of the Ford GT after years of cross-industry supercar engineering assignments.

The Ford GT features many new and unique technologies, including super-plastic-formed aluminum body panels, roll-bonded floor panels, a friction-stir welded center tunnel, a “ship-in-a-bottle” gas tank, a capless fuel filler system, one-piece door panels and an aluminum engine cover with a one-piece carbon-fiber inner panel.

Braking is handled by four-piston aluminum Brembo monoblock calipers with cross-drilled and vented rotors at all four corners. When the rear canopy is opened, the rear suspension components and engine become the car’s focal point. Precision-cast aluminum suspension components and 19-inch Goodyear tires – combined with the overwhelming presence of the V-8 engine – create a striking appearance and communicate the performance credentials of the Ford GT.

The 5.4L powerplant is all-aluminum and fed by an Eaton screw-type supercharger. It features four-valve cylinder heads and forged components, including the crankshaft, H-beam connecting rods and aluminum pistons. The resulting power output is 500 horsepower and 500 foot-pounds of torque.

The power is put to the road through a Ricardo six-speed manual transaxle featuring a helical limited-slip differential.

Aerodynamic alterations were contained underside to preserve the vehicle's historic profile. A subtle rear spoiler extension, front and side splitters and dramatic venturi tunnels wrapped under the rear clip are its only visible changes.

The 2005 Ford GT's striking interior blends vintage cues from the 1960's Ford GT race cars with modern, sophisticated materials.
Inside, the '05 Ford GT is significantly roomier than the original GT40 cockpit and reflects Ford Motor Company's increased attention to interior design.

As Autocar's Howard Walker describes, "The cabin feels surprisingly roomy. There's plenty of legroom and headroom, and with a tilt wheel and plenty of seat travel, it's easy to get comfy."

The '05 is not just for the practiced race car driver. It is intended for the road and designed for the enthusiast.

The chassis is "easy and rewarding to drive quickly," writes Douglas Kott of Road & Track magazine, and according to Motor Trend's Todd Lassa, its steering is "quick, precise, and linear."

Gillies also notes, "The GT's performance is much more accessible than that of a GT2, a Z06, or a Ferrari Modena, which require all your attention to keep them pointing the right way."

"With 500 horsepower and a weight of around 3350 pounds, the GT should be able to outaccelerate the Dodge Viper and the Porsche 911 Turbo and come close to the Lamborghini Murciélago's straight-line performance!"
Rumor has it a GT has already beaten a 911 GT2 and 360 Modena's lap times in back-to-back track testing. Even if the numbers are close, we're certain the Porsche and Ferrari drivers had to work much harder than the GT driver to get each car's best lap times. Plenty of exotic car owners would consider such a statement a badge of honor, but for our money we'll take the kind of all-access performance offered by the GT. At least the Ford's confident nature means we'll have a free hand to wave at the Ferraris and Porsches as we pass by.

2005 Ford GT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Specifications:
Engine
Type: V8
Displacement cu in (cc): 330 (5409)
Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 500(367) / 6000
Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 500(678) / 4500
Redline at RPM: 6500
Brakes & Tires
Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc
Tires F-R: 235/45 ZR18 - 315/40 ZR19
Exterior Dimensions & Weight
Length × Width × Height in: 182.8 × 76.9 × 44.3

Old 11-25-03, 03:37 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Talking

And you can bet your **** that if your boy TX comes across the cheddar...$150k is an absolute steal for what will surely become a LEGEND on the road once again........

This car is gonna have so much damn "Curbside Appeal" it ain't even gonna be funny!

Just compare it's above dimensions to that of current Exotics...

Old 11-25-03, 04:42 PM
Yankees Diva
Lexus Test Driver

it looks really futuristic. i duno if id want to drive one though.

~ Stella
Old 11-25-03, 04:47 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Originally posted by Yankees Diva
it looks really futuristic. i duno if id want to drive one though.

~ Stella
That is a very ironic quote if I've ever heard one. A nearly exact replica in shape of a car built in the 1960's and it is still considered "Futuristic"

This is one Ford I WOULD buy, and probably the only one...
Old 11-25-03, 08:00 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ChrisFL

This is one Ford I WOULD buy, and probably the only one...
Word on that. The interior looks a little plasticy and cheap in those zoomed pics though. Americans gotta get working on fine interiors, especially on one of the only $150k cars we got.

James
Old 11-25-03, 11:53 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

They had one on display at SEMA 2 weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails Upcoming Ford GT SUPERCAR Is The Truth!-gt401.jpg  
Old 11-26-03, 08:18 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the numbers hit, I'll get one of those too
Old 11-26-03, 09:09 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Reborn to Run:
2005 Ford GT

POWERTRAIN/CHASSIS
Drivetrain layout Mid-engine, rwd
Engine type Supercharged and intercooled V-8, alum block/heads
Valve gear DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
Bore/stroke, mm 90.2/105.8
Displacement, ci/cc 330.1/5409
Compression ratio 8.4:1
Horsepower @ rpm 500 @ 6000
Torque @ rpm 500 @ 4500
Redline, rpm 6500
Transmission 6-speed manual
Axle ratio 3.36:1
Final-drive ratio 2.12:1
Suspension, front; rear Unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar; unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Brakes, f;r 14.0-in vented discs; 13.2-in vented discs, ABS
Wheels, f;r 18x9.0; 19x11.5, cast alum
Tires, f;r 235/45ZR18; 315/40ZR19 Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar
DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase, in 106.7
Track, f/r, in 63.0/63.7
Length, in 182.8
Width, in 76.9
Height, in 44.3
Curb weight, lb 3300 (est)
Weight, f/r, % 43/57
Seating capacity 2
Cargo capacity, cu ft As much as you can fit in your pockets
Fuel capacity, gal 17.5
Turning circle, ft 40.0
MT ESTIMATED PERFORMANCE
0-60 mph, sec 3.7
1/4 mile, sec/mph 11.70/122.0
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 100
Skidpad, g 1.05
600-ft slalom, mph 71.0
Top speed, mph 195

CONSUMER INFO
On sale in U.S. Spring 2004
Base price $147,000 (est)
Airbags Dual front
Basic warranty 3 yrs/36,000 miles
EPA mpg, city/hwy 10/16
Recommended fuel Unleaded premium
Old 11-26-03, 11:56 AM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Looks Amazing! 150K is way out of my price range though.

-Anthony
Old 02-02-04, 07:38 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Tell me you guys saw the THREE (3) commercials Ford unleashed at the Superbowl of the upcoming Ford GT.........

Pricing has been announced: $140k

Mark my words...........
"Should I come into enough cash to afford a car in this price range........This will surely be that car!"

p.s. I'm working on a project that just may allow for it in a year or two.........

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 02-02-04 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 08:21 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by TXSTYLE
[B]Tell me you guys saw the THREE (3) commercials Ford unleashed at the Superbowl of the upcoming Ford GT.........
From one Marcus to another........

I liked the Ford GT since they came out with the concept but seeing those commericials with the GT drifting through through the corners while lighting both tires up, backed with the sound of that engine shifting through the gears, did something to my brain man!!
Old 02-02-04, 10:22 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

the design is very different and i really like it....the commercials 4 it were great by the way...
Old 02-02-04, 10:27 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

i posted a top gear vid of the car a while back, search and ye shall find

it's vewwy vewwwy nice.
Old 02-02-04, 10:33 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

psssssssst

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=ford+gt40

original thread, link is dead, but search for the vid, it's great.

new commercial:
http://www.magiccitymustangs.com/ima..._TheONE_FL.wmv

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-03-04 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 02:12 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

You guys MUST check this out: JUDGEMENT DAY!!!

Originally posted by Car & Driver We know of only 1 Car that will surely outrun the Ford GT........ The $600k+ (more like a Million from what I'm reading) Ferrari ENZO!

ENOUGH SAID...........!

Quick Reply: Upcoming Ford GT SUPERCAR Is The Truth!