Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help choose a new car for my parents

Search this Thread

Old Today | 04:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
So far I've come up with some ideas that, while I may not be a fan myself, might be good options. I have not physically looked at anything, so I don't know if they actually are.
  • Tesla Model Y
  • Toyota Crown sedan
  • Subaru Outback/Forester
  • Ford Mach E
  • Lexus RX
As well as a few that I do like:
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5/Kia EV6
  • Hyundai Pallisade/Kia Telluride
  • Pacifica Hybrid
Thanks for asking, and I join with the others here in wishing your parents a quick and safe recovery.....they will be in my prayers.

As for that specific list you provided, the first one I'd eliminate is the Mach-E Mustang. I reviewed and test-drove one, and I found the interior to be ultra-cheap considering its price (much more so than the Chevy Bolt EUV, which was only half the price). Its drive-train did not feel very refined by EV standards. It also has an (IMO) ridiculous welded-on thick-steel outside door-handle at the base of the window that not only feels awkward to grip and pull, especially with sore hands/fingers/arms/shoulders, but you also have to push a button to release it.

The Pacifica Hybrid seems to be a very nice-driving machine....Steve and his wife have one, and seem to enjoy it. It ranks very low in the Consumer Reports reliability-rating, but Steve's seems to have been mire reliable so far than his last Pacifica was...he can give you more detail than I can, of course. He was not happy with the dealer experience, though.

As for the Outback/Forester, I have always liked the design of the large/square windows that make for good outward visibility...no squinting through small slits or peep-holes or depending on cameras, which is important for safety, particularly for older people who may have mobility/motion or vision-issues. Subarus have been reasonably reliable, and their excellent car-based AWD systems (if your parents live in Chicago, like you do, with its harsh winters), helps out a lot in bad road conditions. I'd strongly consider either of them. Like Buicks, the non-performance lineup of Subarus tend to have supple suspensions and fairly good ride comfort for the price.

The Lexus RX has some good things going for it, and an excellent reputation for reliability, but it will cost a fair sum, and its ride-height may be a little high for your folks for easy ingress/egress.....they would have to try it and see.

I can't give much detailed advice on the Toyota Crown because I don't know a lot about it, but, based on past Toyota American-market sedans, it's probably a safe bet to say that it's hard to go wrong with one.

Also hard to go wrong, IMO, with the Palisade/Telluride. Good design, 10/100 and 5/60 warranty, good design inside and out, and, like Ford/Chevy/Toyota, a widespread dealer network. I reviewed and test-drove a mid-level Palisade some time ago...drove nice and would probably be pretty easy to live with. The only flaws I could find (and one of them is not the vehicle's fault), is that, First, the exterior sheet metal/doors and the materials for the interior hardware don't seem quite as thunk-solid as on previous-generation Hyundais and Kias...this I notice across much (but not all) of the current Hyundai/Kia lineup. Second, demand for the Palisade and Telluride has been very high since they were introduced, so they may not be readily available on dealer-lots to your satisfaction, and, even with a lot of haggling, dont necessarily expect a big discount.

Old Today | 04:48 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't give much detailed advice on the Toyota Crown because I don't know a lot about it, but, based on past Toyota American-market sedans, it's probably a safe bet to say that it's hard to go wrong with one.
The Crown is neither made for the American market nor made in America.
Old Today | 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thank god your mom is okay...

My first thought was minivan. Tall with good sightlines and big door openings yet low to the ground with low step in. Pacifica hybrid would be a great choice, then they have the best of both worlds.

I would also second the Ioniq 5. My neighbor who has one has two elderly parents, her dad has been in a big boot for months and her mom uses a walker. They love riding in it because its so easy for them to get in and out of.
Old Today | 06:04 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by JDR76
First off, sorry to hear about the accident. I hope your mom's recovery goes well.

Have you considered a BMW X3? I haven't been in a recent version so I am not sure about height and step in, but it seems like maybe a consideration. I see you stated the Crown sedan, but what about the Crown Signia? Acura RDX?
Originally Posted by Motorola
The Crown is neither made for the American market nor made in America.
+123 on Crown Signia. AWD,right under 40mpg, and assembled in Japan (even better imo)
Old Today | 08:26 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by geko29
Appreciate it!

Though I will take a look at the X3, my expectation is that it will be too small. The RDX is definitely too small. Crown Signia would absolutely be in the mix, but they're so new I'm highly doubtful that we could even see one, much less buy one on such short notice. Toyota's Lease and Finance terms are also horrid, so the Signia is more expensive than many other similarly-priced options. Obviously they could do outside financing, but not outside leasing.
We have both a Model Y and an X3. If the X3 is too small, the Model Y should be crossed off the list as well, as they are about the same when it comes to seating. If anything, we prefer the higher seating position of the X3 over the Model Y, which feels quite low to us.

Now if they need alot of storage space, the Model Y does have the advantage of having extra storage under the trunk floor and in the frunk as well.

Just my two cents.