Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Help choose a new car for my parents

Search this Thread

Old Today | 11:57 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Default Help choose a new car for my parents

Considering they just bought out the lease on their 2022 Santa Fe Limited Hybrid a couple of months ago, I was not planning on doing this research anytime soon. But as the wise oracle Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." In this case, that punch came in the form of a broadside and rollover on Monday afternoon. My mom is ok, aside from being incredibly sore because seatbelts hurt like hell (though obviously far better than the alternative), and getting pulled out through the windshield isn't exactly easy on an elderly body either. But now they don't have a car.

They absolutely loved the Santa Fe, but probably wouldn't get another for 2 main reasons: They can't stand the looks of the new one (ironic since apparently Hyundai meant to target older buyers with the redesign), and my dad is in between spine surgeries (totally unrelated to the accident, he was not in the car at the time) and has extremely limited mobility for at least the next year. So ease of entry/exit is absolutely paramount, and it's actually a little easier for him to get into our Q7 than their deceased Santa Fe because the door is taller, the step-in height is lower, and the floor is utterly flat to the sill.

My initial thought is to push them to lease an EV, since there are some pretty good incentives for doing so, they do mostly short trips and though they like long driving vacations, they're unlikely to do so in the near future. They do have an unused 50A circuit in their garage, but are unlikely to need an L2 charger. That would give them the opportunity to re-evaluate their needs in 2-3 years. But that said, everything is on the table.

My idea of their criteria:
  • Safety, both active (driver aids) and passive (crash protection)
  • low step-in height and flat floor
  • reasonably high seating position ("heel to hip ratio")
  • large door opening (height and width)
  • Efficiency (I don't think this matters with their annual mileage, but no way they break this habit)

They're not really premium/luxury customers, and a direct replacement of their Santa Fe would be $47k, so kinda targeting that general area--call it $40-60k OTD if purchasing, obviously <$400 lease payments are ideal as well.

So far I've come up with some ideas that, while I may not be a fan myself, might be good options. I have not physically looked at anything, so I don't know if they actually are.
  • Tesla Model Y
  • Toyota Crown sedan
  • Subaru Outback/Forester
  • Ford Mach E
  • Lexus RX
As well as a few that I do like:
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5/Kia EV6
  • Hyundai Pallisade/Kia Telluride
  • Pacifica Hybrid

Though I definitely expect to get some pushback on the last few as being way too physically large.

I've also come up with some more wacky ideas:
  • Audi Q5 on lowering springs--basically turning it into a giant hatchback
  • 2022 BMW iX 50 with the air ride--depreciation puts these just in range

So I know this isn't exactly where most of our enthusiast minds are typically focused, but I'll definitely welcome any insights on the above or new ideas in general.

Last edited by geko29; Today at 01:20 PM.
Old Today | 12:06 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

First off, sorry to hear about the accident. I hope your mom's recovery goes well.

Have you considered a BMW X3? I haven't been in a recent version so I am not sure about height and step in, but it seems like maybe a consideration. I see you stated the Crown sedan, but what about the Crown Signia? Acura RDX?
Old Today | 12:19 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JDR76
First off, sorry to hear about the accident. I hope your mom's recovery goes well.
Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by JDR76
Have you considered a BMW X3? I haven't been in a recent version so I am not sure about height and step in, but it seems like maybe a consideration. I see you stated the Crown sedan, but what about the Crown Signia? Acura RDX?
Though I will take a look at the X3, my expectation is that it will be too small. The RDX is definitely too small. Crown Signia would absolutely be in the mix, but they're so new I'm highly doubtful that we could even see one, much less buy one on such short notice. Toyota's Lease and Finance terms are also horrid, so the Signia is more expensive than many other similarly-priced options. Obviously they could do outside financing, but not outside leasing.

Last edited by geko29; Today at 12:33 PM.
Old Today | 12:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

very sorry to hear about the terrible accident and injuries your folks have. hoping for a good and speedy recovery.

based on your description of needs, i'd recommend an ioniq 5 (not surprisingly!) or a model y. they're both excellent. easy to drive, comfortable and roomy but not huge vehicles.

the ice vehicles are just so much worse in terms of space efficiency and cost of ownership.

my gas car: 20c a mile. my ev car: 4c a mile. no brainer.
Old Today | 12:59 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Sorry to hear this occurred. I second the Ionic 5 recommendation. They have a wide opening door and flat floor, and seem to be the best of the electrics.
Old Today | 01:00 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Glad they are okay, make sure they keep monitoring themselves etc.

I hate to say it by the most optional order person car is a minivan, it's the easiest thing to get in and out of if you aren't going to do something like you mentioned with a lowered Q5 etc. issue is I would also want to suggest a German car or Tesla since they crash the best but the latter doesn't have as good active safety systems/is a little strange to operate and may cause its own issues.
Old Today | 01:03 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Short term lease in an EV makes a ton of sense if they aren't going to do the longer drives. On the non-EV side, maybe the Crown Signia? More usable space and better looks vs. the (IMO) fugly crown sedan
Old Today | 01:11 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
very sorry to hear about the terrible accident and injuries your folks have. hoping for a good and speedy recovery.
Thank you. I should clarify (and will edit my original post) that my dad's issues have nothing to do with the accident, other than the fact that my mom was on her way to pick him up from physical therapy when it happened. He just has about everything wrong with his spine that CAN be wrong without acute trauma.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
based on your description of needs, i'd recommend an ioniq 5 (not surprisingly!) or a model y. they're both excellent. easy to drive, comfortable and roomy but not huge vehicles.
Yep, the Ioniq 5 is literally the first thing that popped into my head. Both because of the formfactor, and their good experiences with Hyundais in general. They very much loved the Santa Fe, as well as the 2012 Hyundai Genesis (before it became the G80) that they had for 10+ years prior to it. She's also super impressed (as am I) with how well the Santa Fe handled an extremely serious accident, and I can only imagine that the Ioniq would be again a step or two better than that. Obviously the Y's gigacast is crazy strong as well.

The bummer is that all of the ridiculously cheap lease deals on the Ioniq 5 are on the SEL RWD, and there are no equivalent (incrementally more expensive in line with the price difference) deals for the Limited AWD that they'd need. Not exclusionary by any means, just unfortunate. Also so close to NACS built-in, as that's coming for 2025.
Old Today | 01:15 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Second rec - if they do want a larger EV, the Kia EV9 is really nice. Entry/exit is a very comfortable height and has a ton of space inside
Old Today | 01:15 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

My vote goes for X3 - I believe they are offering 39 month leases on 4cyl
models.

It it an excellent SUV with great build quality, fit/finish.

The entry / exit is very easy without the higher step for something like X5. It has lots of space in the back seat and cargo area.

My 2nd choice would be Subaru Outback - very comfortable, quality interior and safe car.

Last edited by RNM GS3; Today at 01:19 PM.
Old Today | 01:17 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Sharing a couple of the pics, spoiler tagged so folks don't have to view them unless they want to

Spoiler

Old Today | 01:17 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Allen K
Second rec - if they do want a larger EV, the Kia EV9 is really nice. Entry/exit is a very comfortable height and has a ton of space inside
That's a great option that I hadn't thought of--thanks!

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
My vote goes for X3 - I believe they are offering 39 month leases on 4cyl
models.

It it an excellent SUV with great build quality, fit/finish.

The entry / exit is very easy without the higher step for something like X5. It has lots of space in the back seat and cargo area.
Will definitely check them out.
Old Today | 01:50 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

I was impressed by the new Mini Countryman's packaging when I got to check it out. Very boxy and spacious, and the technology is pretty much the latest BMW has to offer. It's also significantly larger than before, around RAV4 size. $45K loaded is an extraordinarily good price for something with the power, space, and technology it offers, and IMO it might be BMW's best effort in their latest lineup.
Old Today | 01:55 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Motorola
I was impressed by the new Mini Countryman's packaging when I got to check it out. Very boxy and spacious, and the technology is pretty much the latest BMW has to offer. It's also significantly larger than before, around RAV4 size. $45K loaded is an extraordinarily good price for something with the power, space, and technology it offers, and IMO it might be BMW's best effort in their latest lineup.
I'll check that out when I go to my local BMW/Mini shop to look at the X3 and iX, but I'm 99% positive it's going to be both too small and too low. The Rav4 was too small for my dad before his back started to give out.
Old Today | 02:03 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I'm sorry, I'm not help because all the choices look good to me.

They may prefer Ice over EV though unless they know about Evs.

Quick Reply: Help choose a new car for my parents