Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Anyone In asia with suggestions for my upcoming trip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-03, 03:31 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone In asia with suggestions for my upcoming trip?

In about 4 weeks I'm going to asia, and was wondering if anyone can suggest some places to purchase cheap auto parts, accessories, etc for my lexus sc300. Also any cool places for electronics. I thought some of you guys might be of some help! Thanks.

I will be visiting the following cities.
Taipei
Bangkok
Hongkong
Singapore

Thanks Again, any help is apprecated!
Old 11-27-03, 04:56 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Hong Kong
Old 11-27-03, 05:10 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Lol, Like where? What will i find good buys on? What should i avoid? thanks
Old 11-27-03, 05:17 PM
benxd
Lead Lap

Default Re: Anyone In asia with suggestions for my upcoming trip?

Originally posted by technol
In about 4 weeks I'm going to asia, and was wondering if anyone can suggest some places to purchase cheap auto parts, accessories, etc for my lexus sc300. Also any cool places for electronics. I thought some of you guys might be of some help! Thanks.

I will be visiting the following cities.
Taipei
Bangkok
Hongkong
Singapore

Thanks Again, any help is apprecated!
Eat A LOT in Taipei. The Taiwanese "small eats" are the BEST. You can't get anything like it in the states. You'll gain 10 pounds in a week.

Bangkok has a lot of REALLY cheap things. You'll probably spend more in one day than a lot of the people make in a week. Remember that even though it's winter here, it's summer there. It's friggen hot.

Hongkong... My advice is to go sightseeing. I don't recommend buying electronics there because there are a lot of very shady businessmen. Trust me on that. If you're in the Kowloon area, visit "Woman Street". Lots of cheap things. I bought a bunch of Mashimaro dolls for 8 bucks when they sell it for 40 bucks here. Just stay away from the high end stuff. I know you can get a lot of auto parts in HK, but I'm not exactly clear as to where. Someone can help you on that. Be prepared to have your jaw drop when you see every street full of Ferraris, MB, BMW, RR, etc.
Old 11-27-03, 05:33 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

You are the man! Thanks any info is much appricated! Any info you can give me is great! my trip is about 15 hotel nights total or so.. So your staying stay away from electronics in hong kong?
Old 11-27-03, 06:39 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

just let me know when u go
i usually go back to Hong Kong when i have more than 1 week holiday, i am going back in 2weeks , staying for a month
i can show u around, buying electronics i am sure i know where to go
parts, i know where the shops r, but dont know y they dont have much Aristo stuffs
Old 11-28-03, 01:03 AM
benxd
Lead Lap

Here is the thing. In HK, the shops do a little of that "bait and switch" kind of thing. They also sell illegal electronics meant for other markets. If you really want to go shopping for electronics, make sure you take a local with you (VERY important) and shop around.

You can also eat a log in HK too. Dim sum! And they have those small local shops where I went day and night for some wantons. I'm getting hungry.

Oh yah and while in Taiwan, you should check out the "night markets". They are the best. Really cheap prices on bootlegs too. Great way to make that sprint of gaining 10 pounds while in Taipei. Actually, I mean 15 pounds.

And I forgot, while in Bangkok, I don't know if you would be interested in watching some of the "transsexual" shows. I don't remember if they were in Bangkok but it was pretty interesting. Some of the guys are more female than some females out there. Not everyone's cup of tea, but just a suggestion and something that you could look into.

-edit-
One last thing, don't forget to not chew gum in Singapore. It's illegal to chew gum there.

Last edited by benxd; 11-28-03 at 01:04 AM.
Old 11-28-03, 01:46 AM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by benxd
while in Bangkok, I don't know if you would be interested in watching some of the "transsexual" shows. I don't remember if they were in Bangkok but it was pretty interesting. Some of the guys are more female than some females out there. Not everyone's cup of tea, but just a suggestion and something that you could look into.
-edit-
One last thing, don't forget to not chew gum in Singapore. It's illegal to chew gum there.
Dont got to those shows..........they are dumb.

If you go looking for females go to the place that has about 50 females behind a glass w/ a number on them. After you been drinking for a while and your ready you pick the number or numbers you want. LOL

Honestly if your looking for a fun time with a woman dont pick one up from a bar. Just find one from a store or the hotel they work at and she can show you around, get you the good deals. I know I have been to those places......... she will not let you get ripped off not even on a taxi ride.

I think the rules have changed or changing on chewing gum. But make sure or dont do it at all. I dont want to read about you getting whipped for breaking the law.
Old 11-28-03, 08:44 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Hahah , Thanks alot guys! This is why I love CL!
Old 12-01-03, 08:57 AM
gs400Fan
Driver School Candidate

quick advice, watch out for those shady taxi drivers in HK. They tried to ripped me and my wife off thinking we were not from there and went in circles. She told the guy that I'm only paying you this much b/c you went in circles. His jaw dropped when she spoke in her native tongue. Have fun....
Old 12-01-03, 10:48 AM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

Hahah thanks!
Old 12-02-03, 12:32 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

technol,

I stayed in Taiwan for about 6 weeks during one summer (2 weeks in Taipei). It was my first time visiting there, and I was in awe of the nature, scenery, urban culture, "KTVs" (karaoke places), restaurants, and of course, the very popular "night markets". You will definitely appreciate the experience of visiting Taipei and Taiwan, perhaps even pick up a little bit of the Mandarin/Taiwanese language. When you go into the city (of Taipei), you will notice that it's very dirty on the streets, so be careful where you walk

There's a lot more to Hong Kong than just bargain shopping. Here's a good website: Discover Hong Kong. Hong Kong knows how to celebrate!

benxd is right. You can really spoil yourself with the tasty traditional eats in Asia. Make sure to gorge some fresh too