Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should I sell all my cars and just get one cool one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 06:09 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, what cars do you own?
Second off, one of the things I hate most about having only a two car garage (oh and no additional cash), is that I am stuck driving the same car every day. I would love some spice added into the mix. So depending on what you own, I would keep multiple cars over having only one car. Unless of course it was an E39 M5....
Old 12-02-03, 06:09 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MickeyLex
RE: I had an NSX (95) and, no offense, but I thought that was the most boring car I had owned. It was nice, just boring. I would consider owning an NSX for a daily, but not for my "sports" car.

-Ethan

The NSX isn't for everyone, and I see your point on the NSX. Sometimes its called boring b/c its so easy to drive. I agree that its a good daily driver too. If sports car means something you have put alot of effort into driving, then maybe a Viper or Corvette might be an option.

In any case you are probably better off keeping your current set up unless you decide to get a 993 or 996 Porsche (easier and more comfortable to drive than Viper and Corvette and definately not boring).
I have REALLY wanted a 993 C2S with good suspension and 18 or 19" fikse rims for a while now, and that is definately one car I am in a constant state of considering.

-Ethan
Old 12-02-03, 06:12 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by doug_999
First off, what cars do you own?
Second off, one of the things I hate most about having only a two car garage (oh and no additional cash), is that I am stuck driving the same car every day. I would love some spice added into the mix. So depending on what you own, I would keep multiple cars over having only one car. Unless of course it was an E39 M5....
I have an 03 VW GTi for a daily, a 94 Land Rover D90 for bad weather, and a 95 SC300 Single Turbo for racing.

The problem for me is to make all these cars the way I want them I need about $15000 for the VW, $12000-$15000 for the D90, and another $40k to finish the lexus (if I were to TOTALLY finish it).

I think if I had one car that could accomplish all these things for me it would help me keep my sanity as far as what I want to do to them, but I also think it would be a compromise in every area instead of having vehicles suited for my various needs/wants.

-Ethan

Last edited by Ebanks; 12-02-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 06:19 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMFG! I am in the wrong line of work. Here in OK, I'm making about $10/hour at a credit union and thats pretty da%^ good for here.
Old 12-02-03, 06:20 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Ethan,
Not to be a smart a.., but didn't you say you could sell them all for like $80K? The three cars you list don't add up to $80K IMHO.
Old 12-02-03, 06:22 PM
MickeyLex
Rookie

Default 993 a beautiful machine

The 993 is truly a beautiful machine - has been since the day it debuted. Its powerful and a work of art at the same time. If I had a car like that I wouldn't need any others (no SUV, no other daily driver, nothing else). That would be the daily driver (I don't belive in garage queens), b/c with that in the garage, what else would you want to drive that could even come close. You only live once, so you might as well drive what moves you. Its a tough choice. Keep what you have or go with what you want. Its your head vs. your heart. Tough decision, but ask anybody - we all would love to own and drive a 993 (especially with the way you described you would mod it).
Old 12-02-03, 06:28 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ebanks
I don't mind you asking... I am 100% open with basically anything anyone would ever ask me.

I work as a polysomnographic technician (sleep tech). Hourly is $24.50 and I get usually 15-20 hours overtime per pay period which is at @$35.00 hour.

It isn't a killing, but once I am registered (June is when I take my registration exam) it opens up opportunities to do a few more things if you are motivated enough to do them. I have a contract set up and waiting for me as soon as I get registered which will pick me up another $3500-$4000/mo immediately on top of what I make now, and will only require another 15 hours a week of work or so. I should also be able to pick up more scoring (when you are registered you can overview studies and "score" them). If you work your services well you can usually get $80-$100 study which takes @1 hour to score each one, so you can basically make $80-$100 hour if you are motivated and willing to go out and cold call sleep labs in small areas to get contracts.

-Ethan
I assume you went to college for all of this? Would that be under the category of pred-med and then into the med area? I'm very curious about your line of work.

-Anthony
Old 12-02-03, 06:35 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by doug_999
Ethan,
Not to be a smart a.., but didn't you say you could sell them all for like $80K? The three cars you list don't add up to $80K IMHO.
I could EASILY part out the SC for $30-$35k and still have the shell left over if I wanted to make a full door car out of it, the D90 is worth $28-$29k with the low mileage, and the GTi is worth $21k private party book value which is what it would get because of the particular model it is (20th AE).

-Ethan

Last edited by Ebanks; 12-02-03 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 06:40 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Captain Bone
I assume you went to college for all of this? Would that be under the category of pred-med and then into the med area? I'm very curious about your line of work.

-Anthony
Nope, no school really. You basically have to go through part of a Respiratory Therapy Program then you have to have an "in" somewhere in the industry to get your training done. I was lucky enough to have that in, and that is how I accomplished this.

Networking = more powerful than a degree IMHO. If I had gone to school and graduated I wouldn't be making what I am now, but since I had a good network of contacts I have done decent for myself up to this point.

Now, in Sleep the Doctors do make GOOD money (pulmonologists are who become sleep doctors). The pulmonologists get the office visit, and they also get something like $200 per "interpretation" which takes probably all of 10 minutes to do. They just look over the notes and overview that a registered tech puts together from scoring a study, and then make a recommendation to the family doctor who referred the patient to begin with so he can order the scrip for the cpap/bipap/ambien/whatever they decide to use.

-Ethan
Old 12-03-03, 03:40 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

I'm gonna have to say get the 993TT.

With the money you spend to finish up modding the 3 vehicles you have now, you could probably buy a 993 TT. Now think if you sold you cars, got a 993TT, and invested 3 cars worth of mod money into one Porsche?
Old 12-03-03, 07:21 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Ebanks
Nope, no school really. You basically have to go through part of a Respiratory Therapy Program then you have to have an "in" somewhere in the industry to get your training done. I was lucky enough to have that in, and that is how I accomplished this.

Networking = more powerful than a degree IMHO. If I had gone to school and graduated I wouldn't be making what I am now, but since I had a good network of contacts I have done decent for myself up to this point.

Now, in Sleep the Doctors do make GOOD money (pulmonologists are who become sleep doctors). The pulmonologists get the office visit, and they also get something like $200 per "interpretation" which takes probably all of 10 minutes to do. They just look over the notes and overview that a registered tech puts together from scoring a study, and then make a recommendation to the family doctor who referred the patient to begin with so he can order the scrip for the cpap/bipap/ambien/whatever they decide to use.

-Ethan
The story of life... It's not what you know, but who you know. I give you a lot of credit. You've done nicely. Nice work Ethan

-Anthony