Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Should I sell all my cars and just get one cool one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-03, 02:26 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I sell all my cars and just get one cool one?

I could probably sell my cars for something like $80-$85k. Should I sell them all and just get one cool car like a used 993 TT or something or should I keep what I have now since they all accomplish different things?

-Ethan
Old 12-02-03, 02:52 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'd vote for the latter since the need to accomplish those different things will not diminish. And up there in Missouri, do you really want to have just one car to go thru winter/road salt with??

But that's just mho and, as I've gotten older, I've gotten more practical. (I have this mental pic of the 993 with a big load of mulch in the back............)

Old 12-02-03, 07:36 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Only if the pleasure/fun is gone from working with your current setup.
Otherwise keep what you have, since more than likely you'll miss it and regret selling it.

This sort of thing happened to one of my friend.
Old 12-02-03, 10:19 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Default Sell your SC???

Noooo I think you have one of the most practical line ups. The GTi for everyday, the Rover for rain and offroad and when you really need a 1000 hp luxury car, well you have that too. If you do decide to sell the lex though, at least do it AFTER you take it to the track and get some good times.

James
Old 12-02-03, 12:28 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque
I'd vote for the latter since the need to accomplish those different things will not diminish. And up there in Missouri, do you really want to have just one car to go thru winter/road salt with??

But that's just mho and, as I've gotten older, I've gotten more practical. (I have this mental pic of the 993 with a big load of mulch in the back............)

How about a Cayenne Turbo? Porsche that can handle the snow and haul stuff (just get a nice cargo liner...
Old 12-02-03, 12:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

I like a car for different uses so long as there is no overlap. Based on the other comments, I'd keep the Rover and Lex. It you need a door ding car, keep it too. Sometimes it's nice to not worry if you'll get body work.
Old 12-02-03, 03:04 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Maybe I should just sell the GTi and the D90 and get one car that accomplishes the same thing (daily and winter vehicle) like a TRD blown crew cab tacoma or something like that...

I don't know, I just find myself wanting to mod the GTi over the winter, but I really need to finish the Lexus too. I just have too many cars I want to mod now, and it is driving me insane because I need to not mod any of them (other than finish the lexus to make it track worthy).

I think I am fooling myself though, because regardless what I have I will always go off the deep end with it

-Ethan
Old 12-02-03, 03:07 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Knowing the problems you've had with the Lexus, I think you should keep the GTi as a reliable, mostly stock car. Thats what I'd do at least, because if I had a modded winter/daily driver and it broke, I'd be screwed.

James
Old 12-02-03, 03:09 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep your current setup. And some of you young guys just have too much money- more than you know what to do with. What's your story? inherited, parents, or good job.
I just wonder b/c I'm 23 and still in school and wondering what you guys are doing that I'm not
Old 12-02-03, 04:08 PM
MickeyLex
Rookie

Default Keep a car for each purpose

Someone already said it...keep a car for each purpose if you can. If you really want to sell something and get something that will keep you interested for a while try a used Acura NSX. If you don't have a sports car, you might want to look at the NSX. Used NSX's are real exotic sports car bargains.

Last edited by MickeyLex; 12-02-03 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-02-03, 04:51 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I had an NSX (95) and, no offense, but I thought that was the most boring car I had owned. It was nice, just boring. I would consider owning an NSX for a daily, but not for my "sports" car.

-Ethan
Old 12-02-03, 04:54 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by TGRich
I would keep your current setup. And some of you young guys just have too much money- more than you know what to do with. What's your story? inherited, parents, or good job.
I just wonder b/c I'm 23 and still in school and wondering what you guys are doing that I'm not
I'm 22. My parents helped me with the Lexus until I moved out (matched my spending), but the D90 the GTi, and now all of the lexus is all on me. My dad used to match me on the lexus on mods dollar for dollar, but when I moved out and he doesn't get to see it/get any benefit from it anymore I have to pay for all of the mods now.

I only finished 27 credit hours of college. I will finish a little at a time, but see no need for it as I am currently making more money than any of my friends who did go to school and graduated. Granted I have to work nights, but I actually kind of like it.

-Ethan
Old 12-02-03, 05:40 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Ebanks
I'm 22. My parents helped me with the Lexus until I moved out (matched my spending), but the D90 the GTi, and now all of the lexus is all on me. My dad used to match me on the lexus on mods dollar for dollar, but when I moved out and he doesn't get to see it/get any benefit from it anymore I have to pay for all of the mods now.

I only finished 27 credit hours of college. I will finish a little at a time, but see no need for it as I am currently making more money than any of my friends who did go to school and graduated. Granted I have to work nights, but I actually kind of like it.

-Ethan

What kind of job is it and what kind of hourly are they paying you if you don't mind my asking? I guess I'm at a slight disadvantage b/c I only work part time and have to pay for 15 hours of school on my own every semester.I barely have enough to live, let alone mod
Old 12-02-03, 06:03 PM
MickeyLex
Rookie

RE: I had an NSX (95) and, no offense, but I thought that was the most boring car I had owned. It was nice, just boring. I would consider owning an NSX for a daily, but not for my "sports" car.

-Ethan

The NSX isn't for everyone, and I see your point on the NSX. Sometimes its called boring b/c its so easy to drive. I agree that its a good daily driver too. If sports car means something you have put alot of effort into driving, then maybe a Viper or Corvette might be an option.

In any case you are probably better off keeping your current set up unless you decide to get a 993 or 996 Porsche (easier and more comfortable to drive than Viper and Corvette and definately not boring).
Old 12-02-03, 06:07 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

I don't mind you asking... I am 100% open with basically anything anyone would ever ask me.

I work as a polysomnographic technician (sleep tech). Hourly is $24.50 and I get usually 15-20 hours overtime per pay period which is at @$35.00 hour.

It isn't a killing, but once I am registered (June is when I take my registration exam) it opens up opportunities to do a few more things if you are motivated enough to do them. I have a contract set up and waiting for me as soon as I get registered which will pick me up another $3500-$4000/mo immediately on top of what I make now, and will only require another 15 hours a week of work or so. I should also be able to pick up more scoring (when you are registered you can overview studies and "score" them). If you work your services well you can usually get $80-$100 study which takes @1 hour to score each one, so you can basically make $80-$100 hour if you are motivated and willing to go out and cold call sleep labs in small areas to get contracts.

-Ethan

Quick Reply: Should I sell all my cars and just get one cool one?