Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What's the skinny on the HEMI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-03, 07:32 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What's the skinny on the HEMI?

So why all the hub-bub Dodge is making about the hemi? Aside from retro nostalgic appeal to 60s-era muscle car drivers, what advantages does it have? I would like to think that the past 35 years of automotive engineering and innovation have produced SOMETHING superior to what was available in the past, so why is Dodge brining this design back? Is there more to it than targeted demographic marketing?
Old 12-06-03, 08:34 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

I've been wondering the same thing.. I tend to think they are just using the hemi tag as marketing
Old 12-06-03, 08:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 356 Likes on 229 Posts

The creators of the Hemi would roll over in their grave if they knew they were sticking them in SUV's.

The one's that are still alive, probably ticked.
Old 12-07-03, 03:56 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I think its mostly so popular due to the nostalgia and reputation the hemis had. Hemispherical combustion chambers (HEMI) started with Chrysler back in the muscle car days but its not strictly a Chrysler thing anymore. I believe it achieves more efficient combustion due to the shape. I guess its kinda like VTEC where its a recognizable name, has some benefits but its the name thats gonna sell the product.

James
Old 12-07-03, 04:08 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chrysler is big on nostalgia--witness the "retro" PT Cruiser, the bringing back of the 300-series nameplate (including the ad campaigns they ran with footage of the old 300 when the 300M first came out), and now this new Hemi.

Of course, other companies play on nostalgia (new Mustang, Chevy SSR, etc.) Heck, even Toyota is supposed to bring out a "retro" Land Cruiser FJ.
Old 12-07-03, 04:19 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

The worst example of retro marketing is the whole Buick "Harley Earl" thing. What a joke! Their cars are still stodgy and built from dime-store parts, so who are they trying to attract with this ad campaign? I don't know--is Harley Earl a real guy from the past or a fictional character?
Old 12-07-03, 05:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hemi is nothing but a marketing gimmick now; there's a whole slew of motors with hemispherical combustion chambers...

"Hey its got a Hemi!!!"

"Yeah well I got a Garret!!!"
Old 12-07-03, 05:11 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Iceman
The worst example of retro marketing is the whole Buick "Harley Earl" thing. What a joke! Their cars are still stodgy and built from dime-store parts, so who are they trying to attract with this ad campaign? I don't know--is Harley Earl a real guy from the past or a fictional character?
Harley Earl was Buick's legendary designer from back in the day when Buicks were big and beautiful. Very impactful and helpful to GM, but still, I don't want some dead guy's spirit in my LeSabre...kinda creepy.

James
Old 12-07-03, 05:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,591 Posts

Seeing the "actor playing Harley Earl" and Tiger Woods in shorts in the same commercial is bizarre. Sure doesn't work for me.
Old 12-10-03, 01:45 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HEMI marketing strategy is a good move, even though it is nostalgic BS like someone else said.

Did anyone see that SNL where Will Farrell is the father of a family and to stop an argument he just yells "I DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS!!" That's what I used to think of when I heard the word "Dodge." Now I think HEMI even though I don't know what the heck it is.

I don't think the Harvey Earl thing will be around much longer. I really want to like Buick but they are still way behind. At least they are trying. Those commercials just remind me that if I want a Buick I need to go grab a "classic auto trader."

I want OLDS to bring back a variant of the Cutlass 442 W-30, but I'm not sure if designers work for Oldsmobile anymore.

That would be nostalgia, though.
Old 12-10-03, 01:50 PM
LexFather

Exactly, another DUMB GM move. No one knows or remembers this guy. No one alive today. Yeah, he was innovative back in the what 50s and 60s. WHo from my generation is gonna give 2 figs about that? Hell even the older generations? It is one of the stupidist marketing moves in history.

Old 12-10-03, 04:51 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nah; the new GM SSR truck takes the cake

i saw one driving around 2 days ago with a dealer tag; it was bright red and it outdid the thunderbird in pure ugliness
Old 12-10-03, 05:17 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by Pianoman72
The HEMI marketing strategy is a good move, even though it is nostalgic BS like someone else said.
I dunno.. .a 340 HP V8 is nothing to sneeze at. We'd be happy to have that in our next gen GS. The marketing may be a bit of reach but it's still worth promoting an engine that has only 10HP less than the current base Corvette.

IMO

Last edited by Mr Johnson; 12-10-03 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-10-03, 05:50 PM
LexFather

I dunno.. .a 340 HP V8 is nothing to sneeze at. We'd be happy to have that in our next gen GS. The marketing may be a bit of reach but it's still worth promoting an engine that has only 10HP less than the current base Corvette.
Q and M45 already have 340hp outta their V-8 and they are slower than our smaller displacement/lower HP cars.

I see 0-60 in high 5s, the cars will be heavy, they are pretty big. I am looking foward to these cars, RWD, nice mean looks. THough I have read, the HEMI models will be 40k plus cars.
nah; the new GM SSR truck takes the cake
Oh yeah, I've seen it too, it's pretty big. They canceld the Camero/Firebird for this? It is slower, uglier, has just as lil cargo room and twice as expensive.

Old 12-10-03, 07:53 PM
moparpopo
Driver School Candidate

Just for information Chrysler did not start the Hemi it was Ford. Chrysler bought the design from Ford when Ford dropped it over the price of production. Chrysler improved the design and dominated the race tracks with it in the 50's and 60's. This is well documented!

Here recently Chrysler needed a replacement for the aging magnum engine line, so they decide to bring the hemi back. It is the best head design out. At least to me. A lot of cars use this design now and a lot of people do not realize it. Almost all 4 valve heads are hemispherical in design. The new hemi has a lighter valve train so reliability and maintenance will be better than the old design. Plus where it only has two valves per cylinder, it has the low end torque that is need in a pickup truck for heavy towing. This is much better than the 4 valve engine that is used in the Tundra. The engine makes 345 hp and 375 torq from 345 cubic inches. The torque is in the mid range where it is really needed for heavy towing/hauling. Plus the after market companies (aka Kenny Belle) makes a supercharger kit that can raise the output to over 500 HP. I think that this can compete with anything from Garrett.

There has been a lot of hype from Chrysler about the hemi but it is a lot more than just marketing.

Quick Reply: What's the skinny on the HEMI?