Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Appreciate your Lexus over the holidays! A recent car rental experience...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-03, 07:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Default Appreciate your Lexus over the holidays! A recent car rental experience...

I always appreciate my wife's and my Lexus vehicles (RX300 and GS400) after I have to rent a car on a trip, but this one deserves a special mention.

My wife and I just got back from a nice to trip to the beach in southern Florida and prior to going I booked an "intermediate" rental car through Hertz. Hertz' web site showed a Mazda 6 as the vehicle I would get, but of course there must have been some fine print somewhere saying "or similar" because when we got to the Hertz counter I got a Pontiac Grand Am. OK I thought, they're not that bad, and pretty peppy. Only 4000 miles - should be fine. Driving out of the lot I turned up the air a bit and noticed that positioned 1, 2, and 3 didn't really increase the air flow much but 4 really did so I didn't think much of it and off we went. About 5 minutes into the trip I realized setting 4 was way too much air but I learned that positions 1, 2, and 3 delivered NO AIR at all, so it was obviously broken. Not wanting to return to the airport I called Hertz and inquired about swapping the car at the Hertz place near the hotel we were staying at. No problem they said, and I got there, and was given a Pontiac (2 door) Sunfire. This is a TINY CAR. Hardly an 'intermediate' in my view - God knows what a compact is, a skateboard?

First off, the Sunfire sits really low so it's awkward to get in and out of. Getting stuff into the back seats is also REALLY awkward, so that was a joy getting our suitcases in and out. The car only has 2000 miles on the clock, so you'd expect it to not have any problems, but sure enough, driving down the road I notice the driver's mirror shakes. But on the bright side, the air fan setting works! But to cut a long story short, when we were leaving our hotel we got on the highway with the Sunfire, the first time we'd been on the highway because we'd come to the hotel in the Grand Am. Holy hell, what a ROAR! SO NOISY. Even my wife notices it, and she is usually oblivious to car attributes good or bad. It's not just tires or engine, it's obviously because there's no sound deadening material in the car! What a POS! I say to my wife "NOW you know why GM can't compete with Japanese car makers, their products SUCK!"

We get back to Atlanta, walk out to economy parking, where my wife's RX300 with 102,000 miles on it is parked. Over a 100,000 miles remember. We get in and both say "ahhhh, the seats are so comfortable!" I start the engine and think, DAYAM, where's the noise? We drive off and my wife is saying "it's so quiet and smooth!" I said "NOW you know why we both drive Lexus's!"

Old 12-19-03, 09:35 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

man u were in florida and didn't say anything...
Old 12-19-03, 09:39 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Appealing story bitkahuna, and with a happy ending During some of the past holidays, I have left my ES for 5 to 7 days each time at either a friend's house or at the airport parking lot. I'm always relieved every time I come back and drive off in my car; the comfort and quietness of the Lexus can't be beat
Old 12-19-03, 09:59 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

The last couple times I've rented Hertz has been out of 'regular' cars with Neverlost GPS and have upgraded me to a Jaguar. Not impressed.... it's pretty much like driving a Licoln LS, but less sporty and more rattles. Still better than most alternatives for rentals.

This week I got a Mitsubishi Galant that pulled hard to the left. When I got back to the LS in the parking lot on the other end it was like a different (better) world.
Old 12-20-03, 04:03 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

There are some advantages to a rental that I believe you've overlooked. For instance:

1. It's an ATV. These things will go ANYwhere. They may not, of course, come back. But, what the hell, it's a rental, just leave the keys in it......

2. It is absolutely true that its transmission can be shifted into "PARK'" at a higher rate of speed than any other car made. Interesting sound, too.

3. The backseat can be used as an ice chest for the beer. If worried about melt water, punch a few holes in the floor pan. (The ice also helps to keep the barf smell down since one no longer needs to pull over for the inevitable "technicolor yawn"; just turn your head instead.)

4. Always wanted to try some of those cool driving stunts from "Ronin" or "The Italian Job"? Now's your chance........

Of course, the list goes on and on. Hopefully, you'll feel better about your next rental selection from Hertz ("Yeah, we're the ones who hired O.J."), Avis ("Still #2 but falling fast!"), or Dollar ("We guarantee 4 wheels or your money back!")

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-20-03, 06:02 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bit, my other vehicle is a 2003 Ford Taurus with about 10k on it (had it since new), so i get to do these types of comparisons every day!!

The most amazing was when I had my 96, it was baffling that the old car with 90+K miles on it rode better, had better seats, etc etc than the Taurus. My Ford never breaks down, and all the accessories work, but man you just feel like you are driving an appliance, with the mushy engine, and its loud, coarse operation, etc etc.

Now when I'm driving the 400 and get into the Taurus, I have to change my WHOLE driving style as not to kill myself LOL
Old 12-20-03, 07:06 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bluelex
man u were in florida and didn't say anything...
Sorry, but I was in Naples, didn't have my car, and I see a lot of you guys are near Miami or Orlando or Gainesville (not close).

I was just chillin' on the beach for a few days.

I'm building a house in Ocala though so I'll definitely be spending more time down in Florida!
Old 12-20-03, 07:07 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

ocarla is that on th e west coast? and what is naples near...i just moved hear last year so not great with towns and cities yet..i'm in west palm...
Old 12-20-03, 07:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

ocarla is that on th e west coast? and what is naples near...i just moved hear last year so not great with towns and cities yet..i'm in west palm...
West Palm - I was nowhere near you. Naples is South of Fort Myers on the south Gulf coast (West side).

Ocala is sort of between Gainesville and Orlando right on I75, also nowhere near West Palm beach.

Check your maps, Florida is a BIG state!
Old 12-20-03, 07:14 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna
West Palm - I was nowhere near you. Naples is South of Fort Myers on the south Gulf coast (West side).

Ocala is sort of between Gainesville and Orlando right on I75, also nowhere near West Palm beach.

Check your maps, Florida is a BIG state!
ya i know Florida is huge , i've driven 2 tampa,4.5hrs...its funny u say that cus anyone who's never been 2 florida just asks if i live in miami, like that all of florida congrats on the new home.. mayb next big meet we do u can make it...?

Last edited by bluelex; 12-20-03 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-20-03, 08:33 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between this thread and the what are you getting your GS for xmas thread, guess I should at least go wash it today.
Old 12-20-03, 10:54 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Paul, I know where you are comming from.
Remember, I came from a civic to a GS.
Old 12-20-03, 05:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

congrats on the new home.. mayb next big meet we do u can make it...?
Thanks, and yes, I will definitely make a Florida meet some time!
Old 12-20-03, 05:44 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Richie
Paul, I know where you are comming from.
Remember, I came from a civic to a GS.
No kidding! Civics are great economy cars, but no match for a Lexus!
Old 12-21-03, 03:41 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bitkahuna
No kidding! Civics are great economy cars, but no match for a Lexus!
Hahaha, I couldn't even talk above 90mph in civic.
In the Lex I wasn't even aware that I was doing 130. I could talk to the passengers no problem.