Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Decisions: Murano or FX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-03, 12:09 AM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions: Murano or FX?

Guys, I need your input. My girlfriends parent is thinking of trading their Isuzu Rodeo 4WD for a Murano. I am kind of against it because I like the FX 35 or FX45 better. Well, they're not well off so I was wondering whether the Nissan Murano is good or not. Does it have a lot of problems and how much should we be negotiating with trade in? I think MSRP is about $28.K.

Thanks,

PS. I have an RX300 with Navigation and I like ours better than the joystick the Murano has. Although their maps are 3D.
Old 12-23-03, 06:16 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

hey my gf has FX35 and my machenic has Murano neather have any complaints about this cars. FX35 base model will run in mid to high 30. Murano is considerably cheapper. cant help you on design as i'm exteremly bised toward FX. if i knew it was comming i wouldnt have leased my IS300.
re: performance i can talk only about FX as i havent driven Murano. every time i drive FX i
and with snow here in NY i even more. i took it to BestBuy parking lot in BK and damn i had to turn everything off in order to make it spin. with track and VOS on, and 4x4 locked in it was like on rails covered with snow but once evrything was off i had some fun.
as this two cars are running on same platform with Murano engine tunned down i'm sure they will perfome on the same level. with FX being abit faster with its 280 hp.

sorry for spelling and gram..... its to early.
Old 12-23-03, 06:39 AM
chuckisc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default MURANO!!!

Question: where do they live? Snowy countryside? Mountainous terrant??? And they want a AWD SUV? But they are not wealthy and filthy rich? (TOO BAD FOR YOU j/k) IMO, just go for the Murano, remember, Infiniti is a dressup Nissan. Can't say the same about Lexus and Toyota.

I like the Murano, A LOT! It's a well built vehicle with tons of space, bigger than the Pathfinder although appearance can be deceiving The price is very attractive for SUV lovers, and gosh, it's a freaking NISSAN, best V6 builder in North America!

You got my vote for the Murano

FX35: Infiniti can't hold its resell value as well as a Nissan, although they priced it brand new @ premium. I learned this experience first hand when i was car shopping a year ago. for the same year used infiniti, similar model (Nissan Maxima vs. Infiniti I30) the differences are about $4000.00 How crazy is it???? When a Lexus vs. Toyota, you will have to pay about $10,000 more... hahahah!

Again, MURANO!
Old 12-23-03, 06:54 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i'll make mine short and say FX...but the murano isn't a bad 2nd choice..
Old 12-23-03, 06:57 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by EvgeshaIS300
. . . . . . .as this two cars are running on same platform with Murano engine tunned down i'm sure they will perfome on the same level. with FX being abit faster with its 280 hp.

sorry for spelling and gram..... its to early.
Murano is based on the Altima platform, whereas the FX has the same FM platform used in the G35 & the 350Z
Old 12-23-03, 07:04 AM
EvgeshaIS300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SexySC
Murano is based on the Altima platform, whereas the FX has the same FM platform used in the G35 & the 350Z
hmm thanks for correction i didnt know that. makes it a bit more interesting
Old 12-23-03, 07:05 AM
Murph
Pole Position

If they are not concerned about the extra panache the FX gives them, the Murano is a great vehicle that will get them through any "soft roader" traction requirements. I'm thinking about one for my daughter as I had her transfer ownership of her Saab to my eldest son.

Murph
Old 12-23-03, 11:43 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Thanks guys,
Her parents want the Murano regardless. I'm glad there's not many problems. Reason for the trade in is because they have to drive to San Jose to get it fixed. In addition, they don't have loaner cars so their son has to drive too to bring him back to San Francisco.

Anyways, one last question, should we traded it in to the dealer, knowing that they're going to low ball the value of the car to us or should we try to sell it to an outside party, which may take time?

p.s. I wonder if FX45 fits the murano? heehee...
Old 12-24-03, 05:35 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

owned a Murano, it was very nice, don;t let the MSRP fool you though, especially if you are going after an AWD, they get close to a base rx330 once you start adding little options. Mine was $36,500. The CVT transmission is great, and also allows that heavy bastard to get around 20mpg. It is pretty quick and drives like a car. If I wanted to own another SUV, I would be hard pressed not to look at those again, even though I drove a fully loaded pathfinder today, and it was very nice too, not to mention, after owning and 4-wheeling the crap out of my Frontier, I wouldn;t mind an Xterra either.
Old 12-24-03, 05:37 AM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by HarrierRX300

p.s. I wonder if FX45 fits the murano? heehee...
the fx35 and 45 are based off the G35, and are a rwd configuration. The Murano is based off the altima, and is fwd based.
Old 12-24-03, 07:21 AM
LexFather

Recent comparisons in Car and Driver.
The Murano finished 2nd, ahead the Highlander, behind the Pilot. They liked the diff looks, sportiness, CVT, engine. They did not like the interior bits, small cargo room.
The FX45 finished 3rd, ahead the Tourag, behind the Cayenne and Caddy SRX. They liked the looks, speed, price point. THey did not like the ride, small cargo space.

Nothing to live by at all, just FYI.
Anyways, one last question, should we traded it in to the dealer, knowing that they're going to low ball the value of the car to us or should we try to sell it to an outside party, which may take time
Always sell if u can, dealers always give u crap for your car.

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I SWEAR all these SUVs are overpriced. Car makers are making a killing on them.

Old 12-24-03, 09:09 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

FX...like they said it is on the G35/350z platform. The murano is nice, but not nearly as nice as the FX. You need to remember that the FX is a sporty crossover model. I worked at Nissan North America on a project for the past 15 months and had a chance to get into all their cars, product launches, etc...and I wouldn't hesitate to get the FX over a Murano, but that's just me.

If you do get the Murano make sure it's AWD w/ CVT.
Old 12-24-03, 09:13 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
...I dunno, maybe it's just me but I SWEAR all these SUVs are overpriced. Car makers are making a killing on them.
Where do you think they get all their money...highest margins are in the SUV's! The RX300 MADE Lexus in the USA what it is today in terms of success! The SUV models are the manufacturers top sellers and bring in the most cash.
Old 12-25-03, 03:00 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Since the FX45 is based on the 350z platform I wonder if you could shoehorn the 4.5 v8 into a 350s or G35

Hmmm... Twin turbo v8 g35... Sound like something stupid I would end up doing and losing my *** on

-Ethan
Old 12-25-03, 04:25 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I SWEAR all these SUVs are overpriced. Car makers are making a killing on them.
No kidding!

Anybody see the sticker on the new Dodge Durango? Cheap looking interior, with prices in the RX330 range. I know the truck has that giant Hemi V8, but the interior plastics look like they were taken from a Neon. A far cry from the leather and wood of the RX330...

Quick Reply: Decisions: Murano or FX?