Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus haters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-03, 10:58 AM
Kameha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus haters?

What’s up all,

I just picked up a SC 400 two weeks ago and frickin’ love it. However, I have noticed a strange phenomenon: Haters!!!! A good portion of my “friends” and acquaintances do not congratulate me on my new purchase. In fact, they immediately change the subject!

On the other hand, some friends say: “Hell ya man, that’s a sweet car...a V8…nice...etc.” So I know, or rather WE KNOW, that the car rules.

Have you all had any experience with this?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/SC/Car_Beach
Old 12-28-03, 11:46 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default haters

Be choosy about who you talk about your car with. The car guys are okay. Others are not. Let other people bring up the subject of cars. When it's your turn, don't talk too much about it. I have 2 Lexus cars. I've learned they are good cars but still just cars. Others think more of them than they should. It may not be fair but I've learned it isn't worth it to ignore everyone else's feelings ( I used to be that way ). Wait until you're with other Lexus owners. That's why we are in this club. To talk as much as we want about our cars.
Good luck.
Old 12-28-03, 12:45 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the people who truely KNOW what you're driving and what you have under that hood are the ones you want to talk to (i.e. anyone on club lexus).

others see it as "oh, you have a lexus.... you must automatically be loaded and stuck up."

and still others see it as "lexus? well that means i'm insanely jealous because i drive a civic which you see 3,230.3 of everyday."

i wouldn't worry about the haters... for any car you will find them. the whole "world peace" thing hasn't caught on yet.
Old 12-28-03, 01:04 PM
Kameha
Driver School Candidate

Its just strange to me because my first response to anyone who gets a nice car is “Great car, good for you”; and I was the one driving a beat up 86 Civic. Talk about a fantastic upgrade. There is nothing like going from beat up white trash car to luxurious sport coop to make your Christmas.
Old 12-28-03, 02:42 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Been there, I know how it is. It has been worse since I bought my BMW, they say, "wow, a BMW and a Lexus, you must be loaded?" "How much did you pay for that?" etc., not do you like it? I don;t terrbly care to explain my circumstances, but yet, they feel the need to intrude. Should I bother to tell them that I work 60 hours a week, eat the store brand bread and bologna sandwiches and buy clothes 2 times a year (birthday and christmas, when I get gift cards) The cars are more of a reward than anything, a little something for me to enjoy my wife's and my hard work. That is not what they see. I take good care of everything I own, clothes, cars, house, etc. That is why they all look nice, not because I spend a lot.
Old 12-28-03, 03:08 PM
Kameha
Driver School Candidate

Exactly. I am not loaded either - but I am a personal trainer and want a nice car to go along with the rest of the facade...lol. Your right, the first question is not: do you like it? But, it is: how much did you pay for it? If I say 12g they usually say, “Oh, I could have got that”. If I say more, they just stare at the car..lol.
Old 12-28-03, 04:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

how much did you pay for it? If I say 12g they usually say, “Oh, I could have got that”.
and my response to "i could have got that" would have been "well, you'll know better next time , eh?"
Old 12-28-03, 05:20 PM
FLIPMOE
Pole Position

when i first got this lexus, all the people that i know where like "Nice car, u probably dont have any problems pick'in up girls" and here's my favorite " Nice car can I drive it".... No body that i know have any bad comments on this car even the civic guys (well i was a civic ownner b4 what a big diff. )
So far iam just furtunate that nobody hates my car......
Old 12-28-03, 05:56 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will find in life, hate & jealousy often come about because of insecurity . *Some* people don't like to acknowlege that someone else may have something a bit nicer than they have, or that something could be as nice as their stuff, because they want to feel superior. You really don't need be Dr. Phil to figure it out, and at least if you understand the reason for it, you can maybe take the sting out of any negatives you get. I see a lot of import and Lexus bashing ( "just a glorified Toyota" is common ) on many of the domestic car forums on the net, and I think it's just...sad. But It's ignorance and insecurity rearing its ugly head, and I pity those people really. Mama raised me with an open mind, and I like all kinds of cars because every car has something to like about it, (ok, well...almost every car, the Yugo comes to mind lol )

Most people aren't this way, and will give you honest enthusiasm for something they admire or respect, or at least say something like "It's not my cup of tea, but I can see why you like it " etc.

There will always be haters for anything, but the secure people that have open minds will hopefully make up for them .Congrads on your car.
Old 12-28-03, 06:27 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

I got the same ordeal when I 1st purchased my Lexus, people thought I was stuck up and loaded but they didnt know the other side to it. I worked very hard for my car it was handed to me. they would also talk about my car like they knew what was going on under the hood, basically bs talking to me... well thats why theres CL, people with the same passion and love for the lexus and know what they are talking about...
Old 12-28-03, 06:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

most common question:

"that thing got a Hemi?"
Old 12-28-03, 07:04 PM
Kameha
Driver School Candidate

hemi? Sry I am a noob.
Old 12-28-03, 07:12 PM
SDuquette
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Kameha
hemi? Sry I am a noob.
Dodge commercial
Old 12-28-03, 08:02 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

No true "haters" around my area, but there's sort of a looming sense of jealousy with my ES around, especially at my workplace (less than a handful of luxury cars are seen there). I sometimes get picked on or teased by co-workers who are years older than me, but most of the time it's all in good fun and I don't let it ever get over my head
Old 12-28-03, 11:17 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I just tell my friends that I could of bought a 14,000 civic, but opted to a get a car few people have.

Quick Reply: Lexus haters?