Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LEXUS GS 2005 - It must be so well done,otherwise ...(thread about MB Benz CLS 500 )

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-04, 07:06 PM
chrisleX
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEXUS GS 2005 - It must be so well done,otherwise ...

the competition will go ahead - the new MERCEDES CLS500, not considering here bmw 5 series which does not have a very high success

http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e...2sC5jL,aNvhT3N

and another article from CAR CONNECTION

Benz CLS 500 Coming in '05

At the L.A. Auto Show, Mercedes-Benz announced that the Vision CLS four door coupe that was unveiled in September as a design study at the Frankfurt Auto Show will go into production. The new coupe will fill the gap between the CLK and the CL. The CLS is based on the C-class and the CL on the S-class. The CLS is technically based on the E-Class.
The production version will be launched in March at the Geneva Auto Show and a month later in New York. The CLS is expected to arrive in European dealerships by the end of 2004. It is expected in the U.S. in the first half of 2005.

The CLS will have to compete with BMW's new 6-Series coupe, but has two doors more than its fellow countryman. Mercedes uses 85 percent of the components of the E-Class, such as Airmatic air suspension, SBC electronic braking and bi-xenon projector beam lights with active-curve technology. The body is 193.3 inches long, 72.8 inches wide and 54.7 inches high. The wheelbase is the same as of the E-Class, 112.4 inches. The luggage compartment has 16.6 cubic feet more space than any other coupe in the class. The Vision CLS is equipped with 19-inch wheels with 235/35 tyres in the front and 285/30 in the rear.
The CLS 500 will be powered by a 5.0-liter V-8 with 304 hp that is teamed to the new G7-Tronic seven-speed automatic transmission that was especially developed for the Mercedes V-8 engines. The G7-Tronic helps reduce gas consumption and emissions and provides improved acceleration from 0-60 mph. Even more improvement is reached in the acceleration from 40-80 mph. A 5.5-liter AMG V-8 with 476 hp will be available in a later stage. -Henny Hemmes
Old 01-01-04, 07:41 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I need some better pics, but if MB keeps making new models I say they're doomed. This will bring them up to 11 unique body designs (including the SLR) with different trim levels for 10 out of the 11and with every new design comes new problems. My moms 2004 CLK500 has had probably 10 problems before it was even officially 2004! (I can list em out if anyone really cares). Fine, let em make this model and try and slip it in somewhere but don't be surprised if their quality rankings continue to drop further and further. Such potential in this company, it would be a shame to see them screw up on something that seems as obvious as quality control! I guess we'll just have to see, but all those Lexus haters, don't say I didn't tell you...

James
Old 01-01-04, 07:48 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Jeez, I got so worked up, i forgot the point of the thread. The 2005 GS...

If rumors are correct (hate rumors but have nothing else to go by), AWD + V8 + POSSIBLY manual tranny, it will be a winner as long as quality remains #1. However, I think if the LFS body is the production design, it will be a little scary cuz it is just too big of a leap from the current GS. The gen 1 GS to gen 2 was perfect because popular styling cues were retained, but it was improved by leaps and bounds, and is now the great car that it is. The new GS must succeed and do so on its own terms to be successful. It shouldn't get caught up in the hp game, or new gadets game. Just make a good, all new car that excels over others in quality and looks and that NORMAL people will actually wanna buy. Please Lexus, don't fail on us now.

James
Old 01-01-04, 08:24 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by jet864
Jeez, I got so worked up, i forgot the point of the thread. The 2005 GS...

If rumors are correct (hate rumors but have nothing else to go by), AWD + V8 + POSSIBLY manual tranny, it will be a winner as long as quality remains #1. However, I think if the LFS body is the production design, it will be a little scary cuz it is just too big of a leap from the current GS. The gen 1 GS to gen 2 was perfect because popular styling cues were retained, but it was improved by leaps and bounds, and is now the great car that it is. The new GS must succeed and do so on its own terms to be successful. It shouldn't get caught up in the hp game, or new gadets game. Just make a good, all new car that excels over others in quality and looks and that NORMAL people will actually wanna buy. Please Lexus, don't fail on us now.

James
You are absolutely 100% correct man!! They should not stray FAR from what has been successful thus far, more power, evolutionary styling, added comfort and convenience, retained reliability and value will be the name of the game for the next GS!!

IMO that CLS is nothing spectacular. In order to get a M/B that gets the blood boiling you need to spend 50-100k and that just not nice!!
Old 01-02-04, 06:36 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

well, look down further on Auto Spies and you'll see the 2005 Acura TL-S, they're talking possibly OVER 300hp How they'll do that with FWD is beyond me, major torque steer. But I honestly think that alot of people will be upset if Lexus retains the same performance numbers and simply remodels the car. If this car looks gorgeous and has the same engine specs as a 7 year-old car, I'd find it hard for anyone to simply say "well, it's more than fast enough for me", even with all the tech goodies they'll throw in, that extra HP boosts the ego a little.
Old 01-02-04, 07:53 AM
chrisleX
Pole Position

yes, you're right ! and they CAN do it ! look at the others - infiniti 340 hp and a lot of technology /gadgets in their q45/m45, acura TL spec a v6 fwd with > 300 hp, mazda rx8 , subaru wrx sti. Toyota is the only one left to prove something !
Old 01-02-04, 11:19 AM
jet864
Lexus Champion

I agree with you guys that more hp is needed, but when I said they don't need to get caught up in the hp war, I mean like MB and BMW. We don't need a 500 hp TT monster thats the size of the LS but as fast as a Z06. Its not practical, and the everyday person who is looking for a luxury car will only dream about these. There are more of the type of people who would spend 55K for a great V8 with 330-350 hp, AWD, luxury to the max and great reliability than someone who would pay 140K for a car thats fast, luxurious, but with questionable reliability. Also, all the high hp cars aren't as reliable as proven engines. Lexus V8s are superior to MANY of the engines that are sold in luxury sedans right now, and sticking to that train of thought, Lexus will continue to be succesful in what they do.

James
Old 01-02-04, 11:50 AM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I agree with you guys that more hp is needed, but when I said they don't need to get caught up in the hp war, I mean like MB and BMW. We don't need a 500 hp TT monster thats the size of the LS but as fast as a Z06. Its not practical, and the everyday person who is looking for a luxury car will only dream about these. There are more of the type of people who would spend 55K for a great V8 with 330-350 hp, AWD, luxury to the max and great reliability than someone who would pay 140K for a car thats fast, luxurious, but with questionable reliability.
Ditto. Plus that shot of the CLS reminds me of an Intrepid. Maybe the Daimler-Chrysler union has moved to the other side of the Pond? And what's with those quilted door panels?
Old 01-02-04, 11:59 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Default Re: LEXUS GS 2005 - It must be so well done,otherwise ...

Originally posted by chrisleX
the competition will go ahead - the new MERCEDES CLS500, not considering here bmw 5 series which does not have a very high success

Why do you say the 5 series does not have very high success?
Old 01-02-04, 03:53 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by dseag2
And what's with those quilted door panels?
Werd, and that pale, ugly wood? I dunno about that one either....
Anyone got any better pics of the whole car?

James
Old 01-02-04, 04:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I agree with you guys that more hp is needed, but when I said they don't need to get caught up in the hp war, I mean like MB and BMW. We don't need a 500 hp TT monster thats the size of the LS but as fast as a Z06. Its not practical, and the everyday person who is looking for a luxury car will only dream about these. There are more of the type of people who would spend 55K for a great V8 with 330-350 hp, AWD, luxury to the max and great reliability than someone who would pay 140K for a car thats fast, luxurious, but with questionable reliability. Also, all the high hp cars aren't as reliable as proven engines. Lexus V8s are superior to MANY of the engines that are sold in luxury sedans right now, and sticking to that train of thought, Lexus will continue to be succesful in what they do.

James
I agree man well said!
Old 01-02-04, 04:37 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have full faith in Toyota/Lexus. Seeing how far they've come in only 15 years makes me that much more excited for the next 15 years.

This next GS is going to be great. Lots of Japanese safety, quality, technology, and luxury with a little performance on the side. Just the way I like it. I can't wait til the day I'll be able to afford one. Although that'll probably be the 4th or 5 th generation by then...
Old 01-02-04, 05:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Here's links to the page of CLS pics:

http://www.dealerrater.com/gallery/i...11&galleryId=2

Check out the pics of the Aston Martin DB9 too (WOW):

http://www.dealerrater.com/gallery/i...=5&galleryId=2

Here's a CLS pic from there:
Attached Thumbnails LEXUS GS 2005 - It must be so well done,otherwise ...(thread about MB Benz CLS 500 )-cls.jpg  

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-02-04 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-02-04, 05:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,408 Likes on 1,579 Posts

Some more:

Old 01-02-04, 06:17 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

saw that car today...the interior looks awesome. the rear looks like an accord...or the rear of the accord looks like this benz...

Quick Reply: LEXUS GS 2005 - It must be so well done,otherwise ...(thread about MB Benz CLS 500 )