Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2006 GS My seperate thoughts, since the informative 36 pg thread is not enough

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-04, 11:43 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a while I thought maybe this thread would escape the ranting on some of the other '05 GS threads, even though it started out that way. The first thing that I think a Lexus buyer would not accept is poor reliability. If you want to kill this brand, that is about the biggest single thing that will do it. A lot of us here are very wary about the GX for just that reason. If you look at the more common complaints about the Lexus models here, they are still quite minor and thankfully not very widespread. If the worst complaint I had about a bimmer was a ticking from the sunshade, I would very likely still be driving one. If the new GS has reliability problems, Lexus has a big problem.

Second, for me, and it is close with my next point, is suspension. I definitely don't find the stock Lexus ride, especially on the GS430, to be in any form "performance" oriented or even very luxurious. The disclaimer is that even for an old fart I am probably willing to give up more ride compliance than others in this area to get what I consider "safe" handling. I hope the new GS has been to finishing school because it doesn't cost a lot to get the handling up but ride is somewhat compromised. Other than announcing some atomic powered, ball bearing equiped, air suspension, no one knows what is underneath the new GS nor how it is in the real world.

Third is value. As far as I know, the pricing for the new GS has not been even rumored. I do like hp, to an extent. I am not a fan of paying for the mileage penalty. But would 340 or 350hp make me comfortable with a $70K sticker? Nope. And believe me, the 530 stickers I have seen have been low-mid to high 50s so I expect the 545 is going to be nudging $70K and simply, it ain't that good. If there is anything to guess about it is the lead from this introduction to sales. If the salesman that I talked to is right, the new GS will be out in Jan '05, that's a long way off. I don't believe there are a lot of major changes to the exterior to what was introduced this week. But some running gear changes? Maybe. If the rumored 5l is true, it will go into the LS and SC as well. You just might be able to make a case that early next year everybody (including the IS - wouldn't that be intriguing) goes 5l and maybe picks up those few extra horses that a few seem to feel is required to stop the ruination of Lexus.

Now I may not even be justified a comment because while I think the new GS is a pretty reasonable update, I think I am more interested in getting an LS next time. The opinions that count most are from the folks that are willing to back it up with their checkbooks. And, once again, if the reliability, handling, and/or price of the GS are disappointing, that means more to me than a few hp that I rarely if ever get a chance to use, but get to pay for at the gas pump every few days. I often think when I am stuck in silicon valley rush hour how much I need at least 400hp because when the cab in front of me moves those five feet, it is important that I fill it in another millisecond quicker to keep the SUV next to me from getting in front of me. How can I be expected to live with just 300hp?

Last edited by RON430; 01-08-04 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-08-04, 11:46 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

All I've got to say is this: I love Lexus (and Toyota too ). I very much admire cars like Ferraris, Astons, etc. I even give respect to BMW, MB, and Jaguar.

But I couldn't see myself driving any of them. There is just something special about Lexus. My dream car is an LS-whatever-it's-called-by-the-time-I'm-able-to-afford-one. And whatever other RWD sedans Lexus will have you at that time. As long as the car gets from 0-60 in around 6 seconds, that's fine with me. The point is that no car will ever ride like a Lexus. No car will ever be built like a Lexus. No car will ever have such well-thought-out design as Lexus.

Conservative? Maybe. But that doesn't mean they're boring. Most people on this site are well below the median age of Lexus buyers. We're a minority that will take a great car and, if we see fit, turbo it, upgrade suspension, etc. to suit our tastes, needs, and wants. Or just leave it alone because it's just that damn good.

Fine, so MB and BMW give you performance. But, IMHO, they're still miles away from many exclusive Lexus attributes.

And as Bit pointed out, people tend to forget that it was only 15 years ago this month that Lexus was unveiled to the public. If you'll be around in 50 years or so, then you can criticise Lexus for not having enough power.

Have you seen the recent C&D luxo-sedan comparo? Guess who came in first...Ahead of BMW, MB, Jaguar, and Audi...Oh yeah, LEXUS!

And if you want to look at it from a totally objective standpoint, there will always be an aging segment of the population to support Lexus.

And Lexus is smart for not getting involved in HP wars. That tells you they're FOCUSED. Focused on their original mission. And Lexus was designed specifically for America anyway. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks right now? Again, just give them some time.

The new GS is slowly but surely growing on me. And I can't wait to see the next wave of cars, like the LS, IS, and maybe even a new sports car if some of those rumors are true.

The point is that Lexus has no problems holding its own. They may not be able to consistently out-accelerate and out-handle the competition, but they can at least keep up. Not to mention that they've the competition beat on just about all other fronts.

Here's to the next 15 years of Lexus success!

Last edited by SecPole14; 01-08-04 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-08-04, 11:49 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RON430
For a while I thought maybe this thread would escape the ranting on some of the other '05 GS threads, even though it started out that way. The first thing that I think a Lexus buyer would not accept is poor reliability. If you want to kill this brand, that is about the biggest single thing that will do it. A lot of us here are very wary about the GX for just that reason. If you look at the more common complaints about the Lexus models here, they are still quite minor and thankfully not very widespread. If the worst complaint I had about a bimmer was a ticking from the sunshade, I would very likely still be driving one. If the new GS has reliability problems, Lexus has a big problem.

Second, for me, and it is close with my next point, is suspension. I definitely don't find the stock Lexus ride, especially on the GS430, to be in any form "performance" oriented or even very luxurious. The disclaimer is that even for an old fart I am probably willing to give up more ride compliance than others in this area to get what I consider "safe" handling. I hope the new GS has been to finishing school because it doesn't cost a lot to get the handling up but ride is somewhat compromised. Other than announcing some atomic powered, ball bearing equiped, air suspension, no one knows what is underneath the new GS nor how it is in the real world.

Third is value. As far as I know, the pricing for the new GS has not been even rumored. I do like hp, to an extent. I am not a fan of paying for the mileage penalty. But would 340 or 350hp make me comfortable with a $70K sticker? Nope. And believe me, the 530 stickers I have seen have been low-mid to high 50s so I expect the 545 is going to be nudging $70K and simply, it ain't that good. If there is anything to guess about it is the lead from this introduction to sales. If the salesman that I talked to is right, the new GS will be out in Jan '05, that's a long way off. I don't believe there are a lot of major changes to the exterior to what was introduced this week. But some running gear changes? Maybe. If the rumored 5l is true, it will go into the LS and SC as well. You just might be able to make a case that early next year everybody (including the IS - wouldn't that be intriguing) goes 5l and maybe picks up those few extra horses that a few seem to feel is required to stop the ruination of Lexus.

Now I may not even be justified a comment because while I think the new GS is a pretty reasonable update, I think I am more interested in getting an LS next time. And, once again, if the reliability, handling, and/or price of the GS are disappointing, that means more to me than a few hp that I rarely if ever get a chance to use, but get to pay for at the gas pump every few days. I often think when I am stuck in silicon valley rush hour how much I need at least 400hp because when the cab in front of me moves those five feet, it is important that I fill it in another millisecond quicker to keep the SUV next to me from getting in front of me. How can I be expected to live with just 300hp?
530 around here without the sports package, around 52k!! I was betting on getting a new AWD GS 330 ML\NAV for under 50k, we shall see. The 530 with the sports package and other options is like 56k. I love that car, but ouch.
Old 01-08-04, 11:54 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jpa2400
530 around here without the sports package, around 52k!! I was betting on getting a new AWD GS 330 ML\NAV for under 50k, we shall see. The 530 with the sports package and other options is like 56k. I love that car, but ouch.
I haven't spent a lot of time looking at them but I had a chance to go for a drive in one a friend was looking at and with an automatic it was right at 58K sticker. The dealer wanted 5 over that (don't reach for the calculator - $63K) plus tax and license. My friend didn't go for it.

Last edited by RON430; 01-08-04 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 11:57 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by RON430
I haven't spent a lot of time looking at them but I had a chance to go for a drive in one a friend was looking at and with an automatic it was right at 58K sticker. The dealer wanted 5 over that plus tax and license. My friend didn't go for it.
Just to much money for that car.

If the GS 330 comes fully loaded for under 50k with AWD, I will be pretty happy. With the chops people have done, the car is going to look very sweet with a few mods.
Old 01-08-04, 02:20 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

This just in from jimxo:

News Flash.

Had lunch today with the mole and was told some inside information. The GS430 will have 330-345 HP when released. The following year a Hybrid motor will be offered around 3k more making the car faster with a 13 sec 1/4 mile and 40 mpg city Did I mention AWD Blue tooth and much much more stuff under the skin. The car you see at the autoshow is exactly the way it will come. Unique transmission will be offered on the GS (no manual) pricing will stay about the same.

The GS is ready but Lexus decided they wanted the new RX400h to be relased first then the GS. Lexus may go from the 2004 directly to the 2006 and skip 05. Followed by the new BMWish IS330 with a choice of 2 V6 engines and many more models to choose from than the current IS. Sequoia based SUV and HPX soon to follow with Hybrid motors as well. 90% of all toyota's will be hybrid in 5 years.

Old 01-08-04, 02:25 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LexusPride
This just in from jimxo:

News Flash.

Had lunch today with the mole and was told some inside information. The GS430 will have 330-345 HP when released. The following year a Hybrid motor will be offered around 3k more making the car faster with a 13 sec 1/4 mile and 40 mpg city Did I mention AWD Blue tooth and much much more stuff under the skin. The car you see at the autoshow is exactly the way it will come. Unique transmission will be offered on the GS (no manual) pricing will stay about the same.

The GS is ready but Lexus decided they wanted the new RX400h to be relased first then the GS. Lexus may go from the 2004 directly to the 2006 and skip 05. Followed by the new BMWish IS330 with a choice of 2 V6 engines and many more models to choose from than the current IS. Sequoia based SUV and HPX soon to follow with Hybrid motors as well. 90% of all toyota's will be hybrid in 5 years.

Lets say it comes out at 330hp, is this really going to make someone buy the car who didn't like it staying at 300hp?

Old 01-08-04, 03:44 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

The following year a Hybrid motor will be offered around 3k more making the car faster with a 13 sec 1/4 mile and 40 mpg city
I have a hard time believing these numbers (especially 40 mpg when the RX400h is rated at 28 mpg).

However, I think Toyota/Lexus will be leaving most manufacturers in the dust once they convert most of their cars to a hybrid design, which by their own estimates is only a few years away. Good performance, mileage, and excellent build quality? What more could you want in a daily driver? It'll be interesting to see what other manufacturers can come up with to battle Toyota on this front.
Old 01-08-04, 03:54 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SexySC
The profit margins of SUV's are higher.

BTW, the RX330 is a car not a truck. If it's a car-based platform, it's a car.
Only the GX & LX are truck-based.
Well that means the X5 is a car!

Seriously, I know. My wife's RX300 registration shows it is a station wagon. But for sales comparison purposes, I think they group the X5 and RX330 into the truck category.
Old 01-08-04, 04:05 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally posted by doug_999
Well that means the X5 is a car!

Seriously, I know. My wife's RX300 registration shows it is a station wagon. But for sales comparison purposes, I think they group the X5 and RX330 into the truck category.
I really doesn't matter, they all count. I just think it's silly that some suggest(I've read in another forum) that Lexus can't really sell cars and has to rely on RX330(truck/SUV) sales to make it the sales leader in the luxury segment in the past few years.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 01-08-04 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 04:15 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SexySC
I really doesn't matter, they all count. I just think it's silly that some suggest(I've read in another forum) that Lexus can't really sell cars and has to rely on RX330(truck/SUV) sales to make it the sales leader in the luxury segment in the past few years.
Not my point at all. My point is that Lexus is focusing on where the growth is. People want trucks/car based sport utes so that's where Lexus is putting their effort. If what Jimxo writes is true, that they wanted the RX400h out first, then my point would be proven. Of course only the shadow knows .

Last edited by doug_999; 01-08-04 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 06:25 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Probably worth looking into exactly what "car based" means but I doubt anyone is really interested in that topic. What differentiates a true truck from a car based truck is not very clear anymore. If your definition of a truck is body on frame, there are a whole lot of "trucks" that don't qualify for the truck title. The Camry has no frame, as such, being unibody. When they say the RX is based on a car, it means there are a lot of Camry pieces, or more appropriately, dimensions, that wound up on the RX.

When my GS was in for the 30K, I had an RX330 for a loaner and it is very nice. Does it ride like a Camry? No way. It waddles like a truck, it quacks like a truck, it's a truck. At least for me. To those that are offended, sorry. But I am not sure very many people understand what is meant by "car based" or such terms as "platform sharing". The resulting vehicles are still fairly unique. And, like I said, anyone who thinks an RX is a butch Camry station wagon should go drive one.

More personal opinion. If the GS gets a 340 to 350hp 4.3, so will the LS and SC and it will probably mean no 5.0. And my opinion further is that the LS is really going to be serious competition to the GS on almost every count with that hp. A hybrid for 3K that gets 40mpg and does a 13 sec quarter will be one of the best deals ever in the automotive world. I can't say I have more than cursory info on the RX setup but I think I have read that there will be a 50 hp electric motor in it. The RX is much better designed to put that honking thing in than a GS. But if Toyota can pull it off, hey, we all benefit.

Last edited by RON430; 01-08-04 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-08-04, 06:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by pvmike1
I have a hard time believing these numbers (especially 40 mpg when the RX400h is rated at 28 mpg).

However, I think Toyota/Lexus will be leaving most manufacturers in the dust once they convert most of their cars to a hybrid design, which by their own estimates is only a few years away. Good performance, mileage, and excellent build quality? What more could you want in a daily driver? It'll be interesting to see what other manufacturers can come up with to battle Toyota on this front.
Second that. But you forget about environmental friendly=cleaner air. Performance from the high TQ motor from electric motor+AWD, mileage from the generator+gasoline engine and bluid quality since Toyota have been play with this Synergy drive for a while, so they're know what they're doing.
This's gonna be another wake up call from Toyota or what? I'm exciting to see the V-8 Hybrid... Everyone else doing the Supercharger or Turbo, but Lexus doing Hybrid to get more performance, gas mileage, environmental and technology. Plus you will save money in the long run when another car in its class have to fill up 2 tanks of gas while your Lexus only need one tank.
Old 01-09-04, 12:03 AM
mc003
Driver School Candidate

with all this talk... i think it's the perfect time to bring up
the new benz. vision grand sport.

www.mbusa.com

what is SUV and car and wagon now? well this will hardly
clarify anything. it's all of them combined. not only that, it's
also AWD, and is hybrid. even with all that it has good milage,
and can go 0-60 in 6.6 quite interesting, and makes me believe
lexus' hybrid can also do that if this SUV/wagon/car can be similar.
btw, lexus isn't the only one doing hybrid by far. GM, honda, benz, and
bmw working on it with hydrogen. i think everyone is going this route.
Old 01-09-04, 08:01 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

This is one of the best threads ive seen on this site in weeks... \

Most of lexus' new cars dont appeal to me at all anymore. The cars I love are the early lexus'.
In my opinion, the best years for the company were 1989-1992. Introduction of the LS400, a breakthrough in its field. The ES250 was cool, i guess. The 1992 ES300 was an extremely popular car, selling over 45,000 units. The SC400 was waaaay ahead of its time, managed to achieve motor trend car of the year, just like the LS did previously. The early lexus cars have just a certain niche of collectible value and lasting quality that makes buying a new car of virtually any type unnessesary.

Ive thought about what I want to replace my SC with in a few years and theres not a single car I can see myself in. Its just that nice when your cars a 92 and everyone thinks its a 2001 or 2002.

Quick Reply: 2006 GS My seperate thoughts, since the informative 36 pg thread is not enough