Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

NEED HELP-Taking Delivery of NEW Car-What should I be careful of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-04, 06:38 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default NEED HELP-Taking Delivery of NEW Car-What should I be careful of?

I'm taking delivery of a NEW Car (not here yet) - What should I know? Is there anything I should look out for or do to make sure:

1. I don't get screwed. (ie visual inspection, test drive, paperwork, accessories, warranty, etc?)
2. I keep it looking nice/new. (when need 1st wax? interior? details? etc?)
3. Other?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-04, 09:22 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the car being delivered to your home? In my mind all the details concerning the warranty should be known by now. I would be most concerned with the visual inspection, just making sure the car is the way it's supposed to be without any defects or pre-existing damage. If you can, you should apply a couple coats of wax for protection, many people on the board recommend Zaino with excellent results. I don't know where you are in the US but in NY it's below zero, the coldest temp I've waxed in was in the 30s. You shouldn't have to prep the paint much since it's brand new.

What car are you getting? Remember to post pics
Old 01-12-04, 11:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default New-car delivery

This is an area I have a lot of experience in...I do auto consulting and help a lot of people shop and get their wheels.

On a new car, check:

All underhood fluids

Tire pressures.....many new cars are grossly overinflated because they pump the pressures up on the transporter to avoid wheel contact on the truck / train bed over bumps. They then forget to readjust them at delivery. You will find the right COLD tire pressures on the doorjambs, glove box, or owners' manual.

Inspect body / trim / glass for scratches, chips, scuffs, and any obvious signs of repainting or accident damage such as paint / tire / wheel / pinstripe mismatches, etc...

Check doors / windows / mirrors / seat mechanisms for proper operation.

Check all vents and climate control functions for proper operation.

Check all functions of the sound / stereo system.

Check electronic systems like NAV / Trip computer, etc...

Do NOT check wipers on dry glass....especially with dirt. This could abrade the glass. Wait until the glass is wet.

Make sure all seat belts / harnesses buckle and unbuckle securely. This is VERY IMPORTANT...it could save your life.

Check for loose or ill-fitting trim

On the test-drive:
Check smoothness of transmission / clutch and make sure all gears engage or shift properly

At higher speeds;

Check for proper instrument panel gauge operation and normal readings
Check for wobble / vibration in brake pedal or steering wheel
Check that car tracks straight and brakes straight with hands off the wheel BRIEFLY on level road surface

Yes, I know that the dealer hands are supposed to do all of this, but trust me....they often don't. Lexus, however is generally much better than average in this area.....both in new vehicle quality and vehicle preparation. I inspect a LOT of new cars for friends, relatives, etc.... and don't find many problems with new Toyota or Honda products in general.

Good luck, Chief.
Old 01-12-04, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default After delivery...keeping it nice

I strongly recommend a product called SCRATCH-OUT. it comes in a small yellow bottle at auto-parts shops and is GREAT for keeping the paint nice. it will take out discolorations like those annoying paint marks from parking-lot dings, surface scratches in the clearcoat that are not too deep ( like those key marks around the door locks ), insect dropping stains, SOME bird-dropping stains (if they are not too deep), etc.....
Just wash/dry the affected area, rub it on / in like wax cleaner, wipe dry, and you'll see for yourself how good it works and does NOT leave swirl marks...in fact, it will take swirl marks out....but sometimes you have to rub it a little hard.
I give bottles of it away as small gifts to people I shop with and to those who get new vehicles. It is cheap, too...only $3 to $5 a bottle.

No, this is not "magic" snake oil stuff....but it does work (and work well) on many things. And I don't own stock in the company or sell it.
For real deep scratches, though, you'll either have to cover them with trim tape or go to the body shop and get them repainted.
Old 01-12-04, 01:30 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure everything's rite