Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-04, 03:56 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

I was just wondering who on club lexus has the same job as me. I sold Toyotas up until last month but now I'm trying to get on at a lexus or mercedes dealership. I went on two interviews today, one lexus and one mercedes both of which went pretty well. For those who are sales managers, any pointers for things to say that might impress a potiential employer? Oh yeah, I sell on average 15-18 cars a month which is pretty good, but those are toyotas, easy sell.
Old 01-12-04, 04:41 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Yeah somebody help this kid get a job, I'm tired of him sleeping late all the damn time!! LOL
Old 01-12-04, 05:39 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

Originally posted by Stefwilli
I was just wondering who on club lexus has the same job as me. I sold Toyotas up until last month but now I'm trying to get on at a lexus or mercedes dealership. I went on two interviews today, one lexus and one mercedes both of which went pretty well. For those who are sales managers, any pointers for things to say that might impress a potiential employer? Oh yeah, I sell on average 15-18 cars a month which is pretty good, but those are toyotas, easy sell.
What's the bigger benefit of working for Lexus / Mercedes instead of toyota?
Old 01-12-04, 05:53 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

...higher comissions?
Old 01-12-04, 06:15 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Default benefits

Elite Master Certified Program
Old 01-12-04, 06:44 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default Re: Re: Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

Originally posted by GS4fun
What's the bigger benefit of working for Lexus / Mercedes instead of toyota?
Much bigger markups, thus more $$$. Also the clientele does bargain as much!! People want a 30k Camry for 20k, yet they pay sticker for a 90k S500!! LOL
Old 01-12-04, 08:31 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey stefwilli, glad to see you're planning on moving on the up and up; it's the only way to go! Wish you the best of luck in getting your ground at either Lexus or MB
Old 01-12-04, 10:42 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

I hope I can just get my foot in the door at one of those high-end dealerships Doug.

As D already posted, there is alot more money at those high end dealerships that move volume. I'll keep you guys posted as I continue on my job hunt.
Old 01-13-04, 03:57 AM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Much bigger markups, thus more $$$. Also the clientele does bargain as much!! People want a 30k Camry for 20k, yet they pay sticker for a 90k S500!! LOL
True, True, soo true LOL... Could not have said it any better my self...

GL, Stefwilli, we will cross our fingers for you on the Lexus dealership and if you get the Benz job, well I am sure a mod will BAN you for your treason (I think I used the right work, LOL)...

Shawn

Last edited by asnatlas; 01-13-04 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-13-04, 02:18 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Default Re: Re: Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

GL, Stefwilli, we will cross our fingers for you on the Lexus dealership and if you get the Benz job, well I am sure a mod will BAN you for your treason (I think I used the right work, LOL)...

Shawn [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks man and hopefully I can stick with Lexus and I'll be a parts supply for all of my fellow clublexus members. That is one of the main reasons why my bro Dgot wants me to go to lexus, not for the money, or not that he wishes me luck in my new career, but just a source for parts. LOL
Old 01-13-04, 04:04 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Is anyone on CL a car salesman?

Thanks man and hopefully I can stick with Lexus and I'll be a parts supply for all of my fellow clublexus members. That is one of the main reasons why my bro Dgot wants me to go to lexus, not for the money, or not that he wishes me luck in my new career, but just a source for parts. LOL [/B]
I don't think the Benz dealthership will be all too happy about your ES
Old 01-14-04, 09:35 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I work for Toyota.Iv'e been here 4 years.I enjoy this very much,after you stay at the same place for a while you start seeing alot of repeat referral business,and that's what makes your job alot easier.

Stefwilli,I don't agree very much with the fact that there is more money at a higher end store.well, there is a lot more gross to be made but you wont be puting out the 15-18 cars your use to.I guess in the end it all works out to be about the same,it's just that I think toyota customers are way more down to earth.at a high end store you have to .....ohh....I guess,politicly correct (if you will) with all the **** uppity .......gotta go i'll continue later
Old 01-14-04, 10:39 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Gato- I would tend to agree with you, but I think the one difference for Stefan is going to be his location. As he lives in NYC, there is alot more footraffic and people that have disposable income for these cars!

Well, we shall see I guess!
Old 01-15-04, 07:58 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyhow,I started at selling new Toyotas in 99,thats were I got my start,but if you really want to make some cheezzz!!!(double,triple your income) you have to work at a pre- owned dealer.I work for one of the top TCUV ( toyota certified used vehicles) dealers in north texas,talk about cheez,we rip peoples heads off
There's always more mark up and opportunity in used,plus,cunsumer doesn't know how much you paid for the car,thus,giving you more payable gross. That's one thing I hated about new cars,customer knew your invoice,therefor kills your negotiation.
Well,good luck!! maybe you can work for a preowned lexus or mercedes store,if that's what you want to do.

El gato
Old 01-15-04, 10:22 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, you want to know what to say to the New car manager? Here it is, this will get you into ANY dealership if you come across as confident, and NOT cocky.
Your interview is coming to a close, and the manager asks, "Do you have any final questions?"
You should reply, "No Sir, I don't, but, May I be frank with you?" He's going to say, "Sure." and here it comes.....
Mr. Manager, I just wanted to take this time to let you know that I'm coming here to Work. (By saying this, you are already assuming that your going to be hired and, it shows confidence.) I'm not coming here to play around or to read magazines or newspapers. I'm not here to talk to other salespeople about yesterday's football game or baseball game. Do you know what? I don't even like sports. I'm here to make Money. I'm here to make money for myself, and for the dealership. I'm a money motivated individual and I need to SELL. (Now, if you say this the right way, the manager will either have a really big grin on his face (Because he knows your a good salesperson.) or, he's going to ask you, "When can you start?" This is no BS!! I used to be a new car manager for the largest GM dealership in Chicago and my brother was the General Manager. We both agreed that if an applicant came and said this to either one of us, we would hire him on the spot and give him a demo right away. Remember, do NOT come across as arrogant when you say this but, come across as completely confident. If this doesn't get you in the door, then you need to go look in the mirror and ask yourself, "Where did I do wrong in the interview?" It is key that you also come across as confident in the first part of the interview.

Oh... I forgot to ask you, did you wear a suit to the interview? If you didn't, forget about the job. Whenever you apply at a highline dealership, you better throw on your BEST suit and it doesn't hurt to wear a good looking french-cuff shirt. Go dressed for success. Dress like you own the joint

Last edited by Methodical; 01-15-04 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Is anyone on CL a car salesman?