Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura - What's wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 05:45 PM
LexFather

Is this for real? Now the Civic is a damn good car at what it does. To make it a "luxury" car is foolish and absurd. Notice BMW got rid of their 4 cylinder engines here. The C230 Benz hatchback has been called a stupid attempt for Benz.

Acuras are great cars for loyal Honda owners and for those want some more panache than an Accord and not willing to pay more for a prestige label. I think they fit this niche fine. ANd quite frankly they've been going *** backwards since the Acura Legend, which is still arguably their best car every built.

So this car company has a 1991-1995 car (the Legend) as their best car. Many Legend owners simply keep their cars or jump ship, since the new Acuras DON'T HAVE some of their features nor anywhere close to their build quality. Faster, hell yes, newer tech, yup, better, that is an arguement.

Imagine us saying the 1995 ES 300 was the best Lexus ever built? Benz loyalists saying the 1994 E 320 was their best car ever. BMW people saying, the 535 was the best BMW ever built and truly arguing that.

I do think the new TL is a great attempt for Acura but the build quality is seemingly just as bad as the previous model. They improved the interior, it handles better and costs a bit more, like a luxury car should.
Attached Images  

Old 01-13-04, 06:00 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Acura - What's wrong??

Originally posted by msilverIS
To me, Acura will never be able to compete w/ Lexus, in terms of overall prestige. The Acura name just doesn't stir up the same emotions like the Lexus name. I think they need to re-vamp, again, the entire line-up, save the NSX.

1) Get rid of that nasty RSX. Isn't a Civic SI enough?
2) TSX - no 4 banging or FWD'ing on this class of car.
3) TL is on the right track. Nice design, but still FWD.
1) Get rid of that nasty RSX. Isn't a Civic SI enough?

haha but why would you say that?? i mean i am sure it's not everyone's taste but it's look far better than civicSI. And RSX is 2 years straight winner of car and driver's 10 best award.
TSX has 4 cylinders but it's the smoothest 4 cylinders i'ver ever driven and it is the car and driver's 10 best winner too. TSX and TL has tons of standard features that no one can come close. (only option is navigation system).

Sure Acura can't compete with Lexus in terms of prestige but it's cheaper and gives all the realiability.
From the point of a broke college student who own DC5 RSX , my ACURA gives me the most bang for the bucks and it's a really great car to drive. And i like to acura stays where it is standing today (but get rid of those sales men and dealer with snooty attitude )
Old 01-13-04, 06:11 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Is this a luxury car?
holy cow! i never knew that this car exist. this is something wrong. i mean this is not right.
To acurified the civics is pretty nasty idea. Civics are great but not for luxury purpose. i am glad that they dont put acura emblem on the HONDA C90 scooter.
Old 01-13-04, 09:16 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by KVA
Acura is sporty, but so is Lexus (IS & GS), and Infiniti (G35, M45...even the FX)...it really comes down to marketing and demographics...who are they trying to sell to. We all agree that Lexus is more luxurious then the other two (and if you don't agree go to the dealer and sit in each of the models...it will paint a clear picture), but the (IS/GS) and G35 all compete head-to-head with acura in terms of sporty. I think Acura just markets to an overall younger crowd then the other two.

On the SUV (if you can call them that) side, the MDX is a little larger then the RX, but it is not stiffer then my SilverSport RX. Also the MDX competes head-to-head with the RX and cost the same (depending on options it can cost more).
I am surprised that you would call the GS sporty - it is anything but (trust me, I own one). Unless of course adding a spoiler to a luxury car makes it sporty.

re: MDX pricing...Go to the dealer, it is hard to find a MDX that costs more than a RX330 (compare with same options). The RX330 I just had as a loaner was $41K. A comparable MDX goes for $39K.

Finally, as ISinnXL points out, when was the last time a Lexus was on the C&D 10 best list?

Once again, my point is, Acura has different priorities. This is OK and doesn't make them any less of a luxury manufacturer.
Old 01-13-04, 11:54 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you know there's no Acura brand in Australia? All of Honda's cars are sold as Hondas over here. They are great cars as well, maybe except for the MDX (looks like a fish up front), but the Hondas that we do have here (equivalent to the Acura brand) are the Civic (hatch and sedan, no coupe), Integra (RSX), Accord Euro, Accord US model and that's about it. Idon't see anything wrong with these cars... the Accord Euro is a really nice car, especially for the money... an equivalent Camry V6 (called a Vienta in Australia) would probably be at least an extra $7000 over the Accord Euro.
Old 01-14-04, 12:21 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well to me acura has so much to work before they can really come close to the luxury lineup. getting rid of 4 bangers, offer some damn v8, rwd for sure, maybe awd, more performance oriented in some models, and probably more options for people to choose from.

what acura is doing now is still simply very entry level luxury. i dont' care what other people say but that's the way it is. the new TL is a lot better already but it's still not a car that i will consider buying. the interior is very nice alreayd, but if you look at the performance, etc... it's still not a car i would be interested in
Old 01-14-04, 12:35 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

ACURA are good for their price.
TL is a very good looking car and has a very nice interior with nice features but it has a horrible torque steering . i dont know why HONDA MOTOR is so stubborn with switching FWD to RWD. there's something wrong with 270HPS goes to front wheel. i like honda's 4 ports because they are very nice, esp, the one from S2K is just amazing. but they should make V8 as well.
Old 01-14-04, 08:58 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

rominl, the performance of the new TL is low 6 seconds 0-60. With the exception of the braking, the car's performance specs are near the GS.

ISinnXL - Where did you hear that the TL has horrible torque steering? All the reviews on the Automatic TL say there is none. The C&D review with manually tranny and limited slip had tons - but the equated that to the limited slip and manual trans.
Old 01-14-04, 09:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by doug_999
rominl, the performance of the new TL is low 6 seconds 0-60. With the exception of the braking, the car's performance specs are near the GS.

ISinnXL - Where did you hear that the TL has horrible torque steering? All the reviews on the Automatic TL say there is none. The C&D review with manually tranny and limited slip had tons - but the equated that to the limited slip and manual trans.
yeah i know, but the problem is handling. i can care less about straight line to some extend. heck the neon is faster than our cars too. but the handling of the tl is plain bad, coz' of the fwd. the understeer on that car is stupid, and the tq steer? man i was scared when i drove that thing
Old 01-14-04, 10:05 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

yes i am talking about that 6 speed tranny with LSD has tq steer. pretty horrible. it is direct linked to six speed tranny with LSD. The auto tranny has less tq steer maily because of tq converter.
TL perform 0-60 in around 5.5sec better than most of the sport sedans. but TL doesnt eat the curves easily as IS300 or 300i does becase of TL's 60/40 wt distribution and FWD platform.
this is the summary of TL :
straight line curves
would i take TL over ES300? : yes
would i take TL over IS300?: no! ( TL has tons of standard features but FWD isnt just right for the sport sedan)
Old 01-14-04, 10:11 AM
93 LS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Acura is loosing market share by the day.. They need a serious revamp of their entire lineup.
Old 01-14-04, 11:41 AM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I am surprised that you would call the GS sporty - it is anything but (trust me, I own one). Unless of course adding a spoiler to a luxury car makes it sporty...
Your on CL and you call the GS NOT sporty...come on...I own both a GS and an RX and believe me the GS is sporty...just ask anyone in the GS forum ...and another thought, why would Lexus add 300HP engine to a Luxury car that is not meant to be sporty...from their brochure/website:

"A virtual powerhouse, the GS 430 boasts a 4.3-liter V8 engine that turns out a robust 300 horses. Which means you can go from 0 to 60 in a mere 5.8 seconds, and from calm to exhilarated in even less."

"While the GS is unquestionably sporty, it also has its share of grace due to a sophisticated five-speed automatic transmission that gives you effortless acceleration while improving fuel economy. And the throttle body consists of an advanced drive-by-wire system called Electronic Throttle Control System with intelligence (ETCS-i) that connects the gas pedal directly to the engine's computer for more immediate, intuitive responsiveness."

...re: MDX pricing...Go to the dealer, it is hard to find a MDX that costs more than a RX330 (compare with same options). The RX330 I just had as a loaner was $41K. A comparable MDX goes for $39K.
First off...they don't even offer the same level of packages...many of the items that Acura lists as options are standard on the RX. In terms of pricing, the RX starts off at $35,800 and goes up from there, while the MDX starts from $36,400. Sure there are differences, but I was simply stating that they are both in the same ballpark...and they are!

...Finally, as ISinnXL points out, when was the last time a Lexus was on the C&D 10 best list?...
Who cares what C&D says....even YOU own a Lexus...I'll take my less than 10 best GS any day of the week!
Old 01-14-04, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

and about the tq steer. why you always just base on reviews, did you go drive one? i drove it and the tq steer was killing me. i was spending more time dealing with it then doing the real accel. and about the 10 best on CD, do you ever trust those stuff? i mean, everyone knows they are bimmer biased anyway. some other magazines say the ls430 is a bomb too, right? oh and the GS is not sporty? man, the GS is not a sport car i agree, but it's totally wrong if you say the GS is not a sport sedan. it can kill a lot of cars out there already
Old 01-14-04, 01:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

i didnt base on the review about tq steer and i drove one too.
TL would be very nice if they can shift the power to the rear wheels.
i dont think C&D bimmer biased and if they were, they would gave 745Li in the first place instead of LS430. they would gave X5 in the first place instead of 4th place while GX470 was 2nd. they would gave Z4 3.0i the 1st place instead of 3rd or 4th i dont remember instead of honda S2000 in the first place which is way cheaper than Z4. only BMW 330i ranked 1 in the entry luxury sedan test when IS300 got 3rd (just because of the 16 inches all season tires other wise it would have been 2nd).
GS is a sporty sedan and that's no doubt about it. but i just think that IS300 is more sporty than the GS( i mean GS300, not GS430)
Old 01-14-04, 01:44 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree. The IS is more sporty then the GS...but that is what Lexus intended all along. It's definitely a different niche market then the GS market.

Quick Reply: Acura - What's wrong??