Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura - What's wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-04, 03:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by regina_tsx
Having owned one for 2 years, I can honestly say "Yes"...the Acura EL is a luxury car!

Now it may not be as "high & mighty" (overpriced) as your precious Lexus' but for someone who wants the reliabilty of the Honda Civic but would like a few extra features (ex: Leather Interior, Power Sunroof, CD Player, Automatic Climate Control) it's a pretty damned good car!

And for those of you who have never heard of it, there's a reason...it's only in Canada!

Now I own an Acura TSX and when it comes to bang for buck, this is one of the finest cars ever.

How much would you pay for a Lexus with the following features:

- 5 Disc In-Dash CD Changer
- Dual Automatic Climate Control
- Dual-Mode Heated Leather Seats
- 6 Speed Manual Transmission

Probably a hell of a lot more than I paid for my TSX!

And when it comes to power, sure it may only be a 4 cylinder engine, but Honda has manluxaged to honk out every little bit of power from those 4 cylinders pushing it all the way up to 200bhp!

And you know what really makes me laugh? When you Lexus people complain that Acuras are just Hondas with another badge on it...who the hell do you think makes your precious Lexus? I hate to burst your bubble, but it's TOYOTA!!! Not Mercedes...not BMW...not Porsche...TOYOTA!!!

Now, can't we all just get along?

I'll see all you Lexus owners in my rear-view mirror! Ha Ha Ha!
let me guess, you are 16? i owned acura before and now lexus, and i can see from a very objective point of view that lexus is true luxury and acura is no where far from entry luxury. i even gladly admitted that when i owned the acura tl-s. acura has always meant to be values, they don't care about jacking up the price of the car and make it true luxury regardless of price, period. if you don't even understand that point, i feel sad about your life.

and don't try to troll this forum, you will find your way out of the door very soon. try to look for my gs4 in your rear view mirror, i'd love to see your taillights too
Old 01-18-04, 03:30 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Come on, Rominl, you're a moderator so you should be a little more understanding of our, shall we say, less astute new posters? There's no need to feel sad about someone's life because they have a different perspective on car brands than you. I see both your points (I, too, moved up from Acura to Lexus but I also see Regina's points about Acura's features and feel that they do produce a better car than almost every other marque out there), and think there's room to continue debating the original point of the thread without resorting to personal attacks.
Old 01-18-04, 03:56 PM
LexFather

regina_tsx, welcome to Clublexus.

I'll see all you Lexus owners in my rear-view mirror! Ha Ha Ha!
Yes, we are hoping you move over and get out the fast lane You mentioned some features Acura has, let me name a couple you can find on a Lexus.

1. Smart keyless technology
2. HIDs that swivel with the direction you turn
3. Laser cruise control (I think the new MDX may have this)
4. Rear parking cameras
5. RWD
6. V-8
7. Coach leather with coach cars, or top quality leather
8. Real wood, not simulation plastic
9. Optitron gauges
10. Electroluminicent gauges (the ones the new TL/TSX copied), this is 13 years old for a Lexus
11. A retractable hardtop
12. Moving rear seats
13. A fridge
14. E-shift (shifting on the wheels)
15. Hybrid technology
16 A host of other things....

Regina, this is not bragging, just facts. Benz owners can say they have TT V-8s and V-12s and we can't get upset, that is a fact. Benz's offer features and color/wood etc combinations that Lexus cannot compete with. The same could be said with BMW.

And when it comes to power, sure it may only be a 4 cylinder engine, but Honda has manluxaged to honk out every little bit of power from those 4 cylinders pushing it all the way up to 200bhp!
Sigh, th IS 200 did this years ago....U know why there is an IS 300 here and not an IS 200? B/C I-4s are not considered appropriate for a luxury car. The TSX is a damn fine car, but not a luxury car.

Though this brings something that I have been dwelling for some months. WIth the knock-off Kias, Hyandai's etc looking like luxury cars, you can get leather and many old " Luxury" features in almost any car now, you got Nissan making high HP cars that have more than GS 300s, 530s, you got BMW, Benz going downmarket, well luxury car makers are going to have to step up some.

Old 01-18-04, 04:08 PM
LexFather

BTW, I know the 30-40k market is called the entry-level luxury market. What is the sub 30k market called? Is there such a thing as a sub 30k luxury car? Then Kia's, Hyandai's, Maximas, etc all would be luxury cars.

I wonder what Bentley owners argue with, Benz owners?

Old 01-18-04, 04:55 PM
regina_tsx
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by rominl
let me guess, you are 16?
Ummm....no....28 years old, professionally employed, and formally educated with an annual household income of $85K (Cdn).

Maybe someday when I grow up (read: get old and don't wish to excited about my car anymore) I'll buy a Toyota - I mean Lexus!
Old 01-18-04, 05:06 PM
LexFather

mmm....no....28 years old, professionally employed, and formally educated with an annual household income of $85K
Single? Looks like your happy with your purchase. Go look in the gallery and tell me those are old people's cars And the cars are damn fine for some damn fine old people.
Attached Thumbnails Acura - What's wrong??-cinnebar3.jpg  

Old 01-18-04, 09:36 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by regina_tsx
Ummm....no....28 years old, professionally employed, and formally educated with an annual household income of $85K (Cdn).

Maybe someday when I grow up (read: get old and don't wish to excited about my car anymore) I'll buy a Toyota - I mean Lexus!
Even a Toyota Avalon feels more luxury than some Acuras. I don't see why a Lexus-Toyota connection is getting you hyped up. Toyota brand image and product quality is much more superior to Honda, so what are you so happy about
Old 01-18-04, 09:59 PM
LS400
Club Lexus Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regina_tsx won't be around to respond anymore, but allow me to summarize things: Acura/Honda vehicles are well-built cars. Lexus and Acura are on different levels.
Old 01-18-04, 10:01 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
BTW, I know the 30-40k market is called the entry-level luxury market. What is the sub 30k market called? Is there such a thing as a sub 30k luxury car? Then Kia's, Hyandai's, Maximas, etc all would be luxury cars.

I wonder what Bentley owners argue with, Benz owners?
As long as you bring it up, and I realize this is starting to get off topic, is Acura trying to find a different niche-price point and/or do they just not want to compete higher up? Not sure I see anything wrong with finding a new niche, and Honda knows a lot about motors, maybe they just want to generate better sales at a different "near luxury" market. Who knows.
Old 01-18-04, 10:42 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, we are hoping you move over and get out the fast lane You mentioned some features Acura has, let me name a couple you can find on a Lexus.

4. Rear parking cameras
5. RWD
6. V-8
9. Optitron gauges
10. Electroluminicent gauges (the ones the new TL/TSX copied), this is 13 years old for a Lexus
12. Moving rear seats
13. A fridge
15. Hybrid technology

Regina, this is not bragging, just facts. Benz owners can say they have TT V-8s and V-12s and we can't get upset, that is a fact. Benz's offer features and color/wood etc combinations that Lexus cannot compete with. The same could be said with BMW.

Sigh, th IS 200 did this years ago....U know why there is an IS 300 here and not an IS 200? B/C I-4s are not considered appropriate for a luxury car. The TSX is a damn fine car, but not a luxury car.

Though this brings something that I have been dwelling for some months. WIth the knock-off Kias, Hyandai's etc looking like luxury cars, you can get leather and many old " Luxury" features in almost any car now, you got Nissan making high HP cars that have more than GS 300s, 530s, you got BMW, Benz going downmarket, well luxury car makers are going to have to step up some.
I love it... Well put 1SICKLEX...

Shawn
Old 01-18-04, 10:43 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by LS400
regina_tsx won't be around to respond anymore, but allow me to summarize things: Acura/Honda vehicles are well-built cars. Lexus and Acura are on different levels.
Another one bits the dust... So sad... why can't we all just get along...

Shawn
Old 01-19-04, 12:18 AM
BigBalinGS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Acura - What's wrong??

Originally posted by msilverIS

What do you guys/gals think??

What do I think? I think ur a damn idiot that has no clue as to what the hell Acura is even about... I mean yea i'll give u that the RL is a waste of money... but as far as the rest of their lineup goes.... i dunno where u've been but they've all been selling so quickly for the most part they can't keep up with the demand. This coming from an Acura AND a Lexus owner. kthxbye... dumbass.

I used to love this board but for the most part i realize u guyz are just a buncha haterz that simply dont get it. I just hope you guys realized that if Honda wanted to take Acura to the Lexus/MB/BMW level; they could do it.... and would probably do it just as good if not BETTER. Honda has found a niche for acura that isn't quite as high as lexus but is in a position thats defintily luxury... call it entry-level luxury if u will. They found this niche thats allowing thier sales to increase not only annually but monthly... their ripping *** in sales for THIER goals and where they want to take the brand. You guys simply dont get it... they just dont NEED to make a V8 RWD TL... there are plenty of people out there that WANT FWD and a V6... and to prove it... they're selling a **** load of ***....

so lets get all the ignorant **** out here now to go put up Acura sales with Lexus figures and give the argument that it seems lexus is sellling more... u people need to realize its not on the same level... they can just produce cars that are just as good... for the masses... for cheaper and with higher long term value...

Last edited by BigBalinGS; 01-19-04 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 01:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LS400
thanks, you saved me another 5 mins
Old 01-19-04, 01:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Iceman
Come on, Rominl, you're a moderator so you should be a little more understanding of our, shall we say, less astute new posters? There's no need to feel sad about someone's life because they have a different perspective on car brands than you. I see both your points (I, too, moved up from Acura to Lexus but I also see Regina's points about Acura's features and feel that they do produce a better car than almost every other marque out there), and think there's room to continue debating the original point of the thread without resorting to personal attacks.
well to understand me too, i never go out and do that to people at all, unless of course, they started the attack. i welcome new members and would love them to stay, but if they come and attack members here that's the last thing they would ever do here. they get personal so i just return the same flavor in a firm tone, either stay objective or they are out of here. i agree there are still tons of room for nice discussions here but the direction he took wasn't bringing him anywhere.

btw, i don't even want to get into the 28 and professionally employed at 80k cdn a yr thing. to me money means nothing, you can make 100k and still be blnd. the mental age is what counts to me. i
Old 01-19-04, 01:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

4. Rear parking cameras
5. RWD
6. V-8
9. Optitron gauges
12. Moving rear seats
13. A fridge
15. Hybrid technology

haha, mike, you da man. how come your posts are always so comprehensive and to the point! i gotta learn from you. you have some excellent points there! i don't know, i very much appreciate the v8 and v12 produced by mb and bimmer, and i love their cars too.

do you guys see the new kia commercial? it's not a mb, it's not a bmw, it's not a lexus, it' not a jag, it's not even a luxury car -- or is it? by that time both me and my wife pretty much say the same thing, "you wish"... haha

and for acura, i have to again give big props to the new TL. if you look at the interior i can really say that they did an excellent job, it's very comfortable and a lot of nice features, in fact very luxury feel too. however putting together the exterior and mostly performance aspect of the car... it's lacking something there

Quick Reply: Acura - What's wrong??