Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura - What's wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 03:42 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Re: Acura - What's wrong??

Originally posted by BigBalinGS

What do I think? I think ur a damn idiot that has no clue as to what the hell Acura is even about... I mean yea i'll give u that the RL is a waste of money... but as far as the rest of their lineup goes.... i dunno where u've been but they've all been selling so quickly for the most part they can't keep up with the demand. This coming from an Acura AND a Lexus owner. kthxbye... dumbass.

I used to love this board but for the most part i realize u guyz are just a buncha haterz that simply dont get it. I just hope you guys realized that if Honda wanted to take Acura to the Lexus/MB/BMW level; they could do it.... and would probably do it just as good if not BETTER. Honda has found a niche for acura that isn't quite as high as lexus but is in a position thats defintily luxury... call it entry-level luxury if u will. They found this niche thats allowing thier sales to increase not only annually but monthly... their ripping *** in sales for THIER goals and where they want to take the brand. You guys simply dont get it... they just dont NEED to make a V8 RWD TL... there are plenty of people out there that WANT FWD and a V6... and to prove it... they're selling a **** load of ***....

so lets get all the ignorant **** out here now to go put up Acura sales with Lexus figures and give the argument that it seems lexus is sellling more... u people need to realize its not on the same level... they can just produce cars that are just as good... for the masses... for cheaper and with higher long term value...
All I gotta say is, I don't think Honda is satisfied with how Acura is doing now, at least not with their entire line-up. the new TL is promising, and the TSX is a great car. Overall the model lineup isn't bad at all, but everything's lacking something. the NSX is the ultimate sportscar but more people associate the NSX with Honda's extreme engineering rather than Acura's luxury image. The MDX was innovative, but after the initial surprise it's already losing its attraction. The RL is nothing like the Legend it replaced. People don't associate RSX with luxury. Etc. etc.

Maybe you're right that Acura don't NEED to make a RWD V8 TL. Just like they don't NEED to be a real luxury brand. If Lexus never had V8s and RWD then it would've been stuck like Acura now. So if "ENTRY-LEVEL LUXURY BRAND" is all Acura wants, then they're doing a damn great job at it. But that's not in any way a compliment for Acura, and Honda know exactly that they don't want to be stuck in the entry-level luxury image.

Hey if KIA or Hyundai wanted to make a RWD V8 car and sell it for 40k they definitely can. But who will buy it? There's no brand image and prestige to back the cost and trust behind the cars. I don't think Honda is incompetent that they can't produce V8s and RWD, it's just that they don't have their mind set to it. But trust me they will NOT make better luxury cars than BMW or Benz, let alone Lexus. If Honda's progress can't catch up to Toyota, then it's too early for them to think about surpassing others in the luxury field of automobiles. Nissan/Infiniti is much closer to Lexus now, because they got the ingredients right (RWD, V8s, world class designs). Before Honda/Acura shell out new cars, they should definitely think about what they NEED to make more than what they CAN make.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-04, 08:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Acura - What's wrong??

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
The RL is nothing like the Legend it replaced.
Amen. My 4 door Legend GS with 6 speed stick was an awesome car, not only in overall quality ("tank" solid comes to mind) but the interior was fabulous. I've not seen burled walnut done better (although there's a bit more of it in my Lexus GS). The heated seats had variable settings (my GS only has on/off). I had ZERO defects on the Legend (can't say the same about my GS although the warranty fixes were minor).

The RL on the other hand is just not that impressive. Apparently the quality in terms of reliability is still excellent, but the interior materials are not as good as my old Legend.

But as has been said, Acura has picked their niche, and is doing ok in it. The NSX is amazing, but it's kinda weird to have a gap of $50K in price between the RL and NSX. I can't imagine they sell more than a few hundred NSX's a year at this point, even though it's an awesome car.
Old 01-19-04, 08:28 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

BigBalinGS

DO NOT come onto this forum and disrespect it with that language.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 01-19-04 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-19-04, 08:57 AM
LexFather

haha, mike, you da man. how come your posts are always so comprehensive and to the point
Thanks dude. More than anything, it's to teach, not blast anyone. To this day, a lot of people still have a lot of misconceptions about Lexus. And Lexus is not perfect. But their motto is "the passionate pursuit ot perfection". I can live with that.

This is not an Acura bash thread, this is a comparative analysis. A lot of people want Acura to step up and be something that they are not (similar to some of us wanting 500hp stock GSs and manual LS 430s, etc). I say, Acura owners, accept it for what it is.

Besides, "value" are one of Acura owners main selling points. So would they step up and buy a 50k RL (the price to make it competative)? A 70k RL (the base price of a S 430, loaded LS 430)? A 50k TL (with the V-8, RWD/AWD they want so badly)?

Looking at facts, no one is buying the 45k RL or the 90k NSX. No one has for give/take the last 10 years.

Infiniti and Acura have similar problems with their flagship cars. They are very solid but in this even more ultra-competative market, they products do not stand out to the consumer (Q45/RL). Imagine Lexus or Mercedes with flagships that are basically laughed at by the general public. It would KILL the marques. The flagship is the companies "show". It is an example of what the company can do! And it is expensive to keep people wanting it (the age old what u can't have). The LS 430 effect trickles to the ES 330. The SC 430 trickles through the whole brand.

Very similar to what Grand Turismo did with the EVO, WRX, Skyline, Sylvia etc etc etc. You had tons of kids wanting something they could not have. Respectively, Mitsu and Suburu did the RIght things and brought the almost identical cars over. Now their dealerships are full of people.

Old 01-19-04, 11:22 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

haha, mike, you da man. how come your posts are always so comprehensive and to the point
Mike has YEARS of internet car chat forum post w****ing experience.
Old 01-19-04, 12:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks dude. More than anything, it's to teach, not blast anyone. To this day, a lot of people still have a lot of misconceptions about Lexus. And Lexus is not perfect. But their motto is "the passionate pursuit ot perfection". I can live with that.

This is not an Acura bash thread, this is a comparative analysis. A lot of people want Acura to step up and be something that they are not (similar to some of us wanting 500hp stock GSs and manual LS 430s, etc). I say, Acura owners, accept it for what it is.

Besides, "value" are one of Acura owners main selling points. So would they step up and buy a 50k RL (the price to make it competative)? A 70k RL (the base price of a S 430, loaded LS 430)? A 50k TL (with the V-8, RWD/AWD they want so badly)?

Looking at facts, no one is buying the 45k RL or the 90k NSX. No one has for give/take the last 10 years.

Infiniti and Acura have similar problems with their flagship cars. They are very solid but in this even more ultra-competative market, they products do not stand out to the consumer (Q45/RL). Imagine Lexus or Mercedes with flagships that are basically laughed at by the general public. It would KILL the marques. The flagship is the companies "show". It is an example of what the company can do! And it is expensive to keep people wanting it (the age old what u can't have). The LS 430 effect trickles to the ES 330. The SC 430 trickles through the whole brand.

Very similar to what Grand Turismo did with the EVO, WRX, Skyline, Sylvia etc etc etc. You had tons of kids wanting something they could not have. Respectively, Mitsu and Suburu did the RIght things and brought the almost identical cars over. Now their dealerships are full of people.
yeah i agree. i bought the tl-s solely for the value. for the value you can't beat that car at all

and OLT, you are so damn right, sick he *****s like no tomorrow
Old 01-19-04, 12:43 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DAMN...... I better keep this thread on the DOWN LOW. My girl just bought a Red TSX with beige leather this weekend and I must say it's very beautiful. She's even rubbing it in my face that her car came Xenon headlights and heated seats. Mine didn't.... LOL..
Old 01-19-04, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
DAMN...... I better keep this thread on the DOWN LOW. My girl just bought a Red TSX with beige leather this weekend and I must say it's very beautiful. She's even rubbing it in my face that her car came Xenon headlights and heated seats. Mine didn't.... LOL..
well let's see, does it have dual climate control? how about powered lumber support?

oh and congrats that she finally got the car!

Last edited by rominl; 01-19-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-19-04, 01:53 PM
freudy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well let's see, does it have dual climate control? how about powered lumber support?

Dual Climate - Yes

Powered Lumbar Support - No
Old 01-19-04, 10:50 PM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

BigBalinGS, I LOVE YOU TOO!
Old 01-20-04, 10:52 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by rominl

oh and congrats that she finally got the car!
LMAO. Actually, it does have dual climate control. It has a lever for lumbar support on the side of the seat that seems funny to use but at least she has it. Acura did do a really nice job on the car but IT'S NO LEXUS>>>>>>>>>
Old 01-22-04, 11:59 AM
markyd23
Questionable Taste

Lightbulb Lexus? are you kidding?

Lexus, yuck! They are made for middle aged Jewish Women, except for the IS 300. But hey, Everyone has differnet taste. Its what makes the world go round.
Old 01-22-04, 12:04 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Lexus? are you kidding?

Originally posted by markyd23
Lexus, yuck! They are made for middle aged Jewish Women, except for the IS 300. But hey, Everyone has differnet taste. Its what makes the world go round.
You can't be a ClubLexus member unless you're over 13 years of age.
Old 01-22-04, 12:08 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Default Re: Lexus? are you kidding?

Originally posted by markyd23
Dude, go lock up your BMX bike and come back when you can afford a real car.
Old 01-22-04, 12:10 PM
markyd23
Questionable Taste

Ha ha ha, Sorry bro, I do have a real car. ACURA TSX BABY!!! REPRESENT!!!

Quick Reply: Acura - What's wrong??