Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hottest Models

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 09:15 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

11/04/2003 - Updated 08:37 AM ET

Predicted reliability
These new models received the highest and lowest ratings in Consumer Reports' most recent reliability survey. Models are listed in alphabetical order by manufacturer, within each vehicle category.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...iablechart.htm
Old 01-16-04, 09:39 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, maybe this had something to do with the Lexus December to remember event? I don't seem to remember that many Lexus models on this list normally (especially the ES!!!?). Curious what the Jan list looks like.
Old 01-17-04, 02:19 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by doug_999
Um, maybe this had something to do with the Lexus December to remember event? I don't seem to remember that many Lexus models on this list normally (especially the ES!!!?). Curious what the Jan list looks like.
Nope, this is normal for Toyota and Lexus. Like just about everything else, they have consistently led shortest days supply categories for a while. Also, Honda has pulled clever tricks with limited production of the Oddyssey, Pilot, and MDX, explaining the excessive demand for these models.

I believe J.D. Power Magazine claimed an average 23 day supply for Lexus and 26-27 for Toyota. That ranks #1 and #2 overall, compared to the industry average of well over 80 a the time.
Old 01-17-04, 02:27 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by XenonES3
Nope, this is normal for Toyota and Lexus. Like just about everything else, they have consistently led shortest days supply categories for a while. Also, Honda has pulled clever tricks with limited production of the Oddyssey, Pilot, and MDX, explaining the excessive demand for these models.

I believe J.D. Power Magazine claimed an average 23 day supply for Lexus and 26-27 for Toyota. That ranks #1 and #2 overall, compared to the industry average of well over 80 a the time.
Valid question by Doug, good response. Every maker tries to do something near the end of the year for a lot of reasons. Don't know if anything was done financially but out here bimmer was advertising the old fives pretty hard and there has been a fair amount of advertising on fives and sevens since early December.
Old 01-17-04, 02:30 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

A recent J.D. Power Mag I saw had Lexus at 19/21 for "days of inventory". The 19 was the SUVs and the 21 was for the cars. (I remember the 19, the 21 was either that or low twenties). It was by far the lowest inventory of all brands. Bottom line: LEXUS VEHICLES SELL!
Old 01-17-04, 03:49 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Gekko
11/04/2003 - Updated 08:37 AM ET

Predicted reliability
These new models received the highest and lowest ratings in Consumer Reports' most recent reliability survey. Models are listed in alphabetical order by manufacturer, within each vehicle category.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...iablechart.htm
Oh my god, Lexus/Toyota OWNES ALL! Thats ridiculous. Look at VW's rating...another reason to stay away from the Phaeton.

James
Old 01-17-04, 07:32 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,467 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally posted by jet864
Oh my god, Lexus/Toyota OWNES ALL! Thats ridiculous. Look at VW's rating...another reason to stay away from the Phaeton.
Even more amazing to me is seeing MB's C, E, and SLK class in least reliable sections. But people still buy 'em. Someone I work with just sold an Acura Legend with 150K mi. that had been flawless for a new E320. Hope it does as well for her!
Old 01-17-04, 08:56 PM
asnatlas
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Hottest Models for Dec. 03

Originally posted by RON430
Did that get your attention?
LOL, you got mine... I was thinking to myself that " he posted this in the wrong chat" but after I got in and looked I guess you did post it in the right area I like those odds... Toyota/Lexus is 6 out of 11 more then 1/2...

Shawn
Old 01-18-04, 07:02 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by XenonES3
Well I am referring to the Wall Street Journal rankings that RON430 pointed to. Only the new RX330 has made that list and then recently the new LS430 made the list (must be that sports package - so sweet)- but for the most part, it has been dominated by the MB/Acura/Honda crowd (along with the Sienna). I really don't think that Honda purposely limits production to make their demand seem high. Something tells me they would rather have the sales.
Old 01-20-04, 11:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Reply to RON430....Hottest Models?

I don't doubt your WSJ source, but I'm not sure I agree with it. From a pure supply-and-demand perspective instead of total numbers, The Mitsubishi Evo, Subaru STi, Mazda RX8, Nissan 350Z, and Pontiac GTO are probably out the door before ANY of those models you ( and WSJ) quote. In fact, quite a few GTO's have been sold that haven't even reached the dealer. The car has not even been introduced nationwide yet, and already there is a large backlog of orders.
The Chevy SSR also had huge demand and very short supply.
While it is still a little early to prove it yet, later in the year I think you'll see the same thing with the 2005 Mustang, the Chrysler Hemi 300C, the Lotus Elise, and the C6 Corvette.
Old 01-20-04, 12:13 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

I'm assuming this ranking is for cars that sell in some sort of numbers. I'm also pretty sure the RX8 is not selling too well right now based on the ads I see for it (it is a sweet car however).

My 2004 prediction? The Hemi 300C will not sell. I have NOT seen it in person, but the pictures I have seen of it make it one of the ugliest cars I have ever seen. It just has to be better looking in person.