Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bangle on His Way Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 10:03 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by MSBoy
Yup, Bangle designed the E46 3 Series. He has a brain. He just decided to stop using it. Glad I got my E46 right before the demise!
The E46 is a big fav of mine. I was actually considering the M3 before deciding to mod my GS. Although I have to admit the new 5 (and somewhat the new 7) is growing on me, the E46 was instant. It is funny to think that these designs came from the same person.
Old 01-20-04, 12:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Yup, Bangle designed the E46 3 Series. He has a brain. He just decided to stop using it. Glad I got my E46 right before the demise!
omg, in that case he really did a pretty damn good job in throwing out his brain. i mean, the e46 is a pure success, it's just... GREAT. everything else, i mean, it's just..... GROSS
Old 01-20-04, 04:34 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
e46 m3 and e39 m5.... thats where my love ends...
Ditto man, after that its just a rim showcase (22s on the 745!! LOL)
Old 01-20-04, 08:41 AM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Ditto man, after that its just a rim showcase (22s on the 745!! LOL)
For real! This past weekend I decided to roll into a tire shop in my neighborhood to fix the flat spare I have in the trunk. A fairly young guy pulls into the shop and parks right next to me in his new 745i sitting on 22s. The dynamics of the senerio bordered comedy because I was thinking to myself, "Damn, that car looks lame!" And he was clearly thinking to himself, "Damn, my car looks lame, but everyone knows I have money!" LOL!

Last edited by MSBoy; 01-20-04 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-20-04, 09:59 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Wow I really cant believe that!! The E46 follow the BMW tradition of EVOLUTION as opposed to REVOLUTION, it took some of positive aspects of the E36, and simply improved them. On the other hand the new 5 and 7 look NOTHING like their forebearers!!

Bangle is not stupid, he did not want to mess up the bread and butter model during his first foray!! Imagine if the 3 looked like that back in 99 or 2k

At any rate, I think he has messed up the cars for long enough, its time to get the previous designers locked in a room with a 740i Sport and a 540i and see what comes out!! LOL
Old 01-20-04, 11:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Bangle-ized Bimmers

Much has been written....and noted....about the miserable I-Drives and the frumpy styling on the newer Bimmers since Bangle's designs came out, but if you look......and feel.......carefully, you'll notice much more than just this. For instance, compare the body and sheet metal solidness of the Chris Bangle designs compared to the previous generation cars. On the 525i, when you shut the door on the old one, it was like a bank vault. The new one, in comparison, feels like a piece of tin. Even more so comparing the old and new 740i.
Then look at and feel the hardware inside...you'll find more cost-cutting on the newer Bangle cars, too.
I truly want to say something nice about this guy, ( I don't like to put people down ) but his own products speak for themselves. Ultimately I blame BMW management for stubbornly not admitting (in the face of proof) that they made a mistake.
Old 01-20-04, 02:12 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

As a long time, royal BMW enthusiast, I think Chris Bangle should just go die.

He's ruined everything I love about BMWs.

Jon
Old 01-20-04, 02:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Baby ///M3
As a long time, royal BMW enthusiast, I think Chris Bangle should just go die.

He's ruined everything I love about BMWs. Jon
LOL, dont hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel!

I know alot of your fellow Bimmerphiles share your sentiment!
Old 01-20-04, 02:53 PM
LexFather

I want to say bangle got his hands on the 3 later. Look at the new front bumper with the triangle cutouts ala the new 6 series. The twisted grill.

I don't understand. IMO, the E36 and E46 are beautiful. As the E39 5 series. SImply marvelous. Those angel eyes=****. I have seen quite a few new 5s recently, it HAS to have the big wheels to look decent but I can't help but not see the BMW aggresion. The German solidity. It looks like a Kia. It looks Asian.

That is why I bought a LExus. If I want a German car, I want a German looking car. Now only Audi provides that.

Old 01-20-04, 03:07 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Yeap. We're only one step away from killing him.

This guy should be burned alive in the new 5 series, and then have his body run over by the 7 series.

To have mercy on him, he can then be buried in the next 3 series.

Jon

Originally posted by DGOT20s
LOL, dont hold back, tell us how you REALLY feel!

I know alot of your fellow Bimmerphiles share your sentiment!
Old 01-20-04, 07:35 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Yeap. We're only one step away from killing him.

This guy should be burned alive in the new 5 series, and then have his body run over by the 7 series.

To have mercy on him, he can then be buried in the next 3 series.

Jon
Spit fire, gangsta!!!

One good thing I can say about Bangle is that he is a risk taker. I can appreciate that in anyone. Without risk takers, there would be no such thing as Lexus. Only Toyota. And no such thing as Acura. Only Honda. In fact, there are so many things in life that we know and love dearly that came about as a result of a risk-takers. There are also, however, many risk-takers who failed miserably. Anyone care to name some they know of? The top 3 on my list is:

1. Chris Bangle
2. Sadam Hussein (sp?)
3. Mariah Carey

LOL! So risk-takers can be good and bad. Just wish someone at the headquarters in Munich would have just said NO to Chris Bangle.

Last edited by MSBoy; 01-20-04 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 09:04 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I want to say bangle got his hands on the 3 later. Look at the new front bumper with the triangle cutouts ala the new 6 series. The twisted grill.

I don't understand. IMO, the E36 and E46 are beautiful. As the E39 5 series. SImply marvelous. Those angel eyes=****. I have seen quite a few new 5s recently, it HAS to have the big wheels to look decent but I can't help but not see the BMW aggresion. The German solidity. It looks like a Kia. It looks Asian.

That is why I bought a LExus. If I want a German car, I want a German looking car. Now only Audi provides that.

wooo go audi
Old 01-20-04, 09:13 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

That, I have to give him credit for.

However, considering the fact that he's already screwed up the 7 and 5 series, that's a pretty big risk/loss to take.

He should've designed the 7 series like the 1996-2000 Merc. E class. Simply put, test the water first and if it doesn't fly or turn out the way he anticipated, he can always do a follow up design that's distinguishable from the previous one.

Jon

Spit fire, gangsta!!!

One good thing I can say about Bangle is that he is a risk taker. I can appreciate that in anyone. Without risk takers, there would be no such thing as Lexus. Only Toyota. And no such thing as Acura. Only Honda. In fact, there are so many things in life that we know and love dearly that came about as a result of a risk-takers. There are also, however, many risk-takers who failed miserably. Anyone care to name some they know of? The top 3 on my list is:

1. Chris Bangle
2. Sadam Hussein (sp?)
3. Mariah Carey

LOL! So risk-takers can be good and bad. Just wish someone at the headquarters in Munich would have just said NO to Chris Bangle.
Old 01-20-04, 09:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

If he wants to take risks he can wake up, eat a flaming taco, and take a 4 hour car ride. quit screwing with the bimmers design.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 01-20-04 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 11:25 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That, I have to give him credit for.

However, considering the fact that he's already screwed up the 7 and 5 series, that's a pretty big risk/loss to take.

He should've designed the 7 series like the 1996-2000 Merc. E class. Simply put, test the water first and if it doesn't fly or turn out the way he anticipated, he can always do a follow up design that's distinguishable from the previous one.

Jon
BUT, designing a car, testing it, then redesigning it significantly within a few years.... REALLY hurts a car, bc anyone who bought that design will lose sooooo much value on their car.... then people will say, "well bmw realized that their car was ugly," instead of saying that bmw is backing their car despite the critics...

for a car company to give up on a design, that is just something an american car maker would do... im sure there are many faithful bmw drivers who still buy their cars, despite the critics... i see more new 7s on the road than i do old 7s.....

Quick Reply: Bangle on His Way Out ?