Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bangle on His Way Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-04, 11:31 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

You're right.

However, I think the 7 and 5 series would be okay looking with just some minor tweakings.

The base design can be kept but the headlights/interior layouts should be revised.

Bangle really tried too hard to blend in his personal flavor with the traditional BMW designing philosophy. The result was a total chaos.

As for the number of the new 7 series. I am not sure. At least here in CA, the ratio of the new model to the older ones is more like 1 to 10.

Jon

Originally posted by EGainer
BUT, designing a car, testing it, then redesigning it significantly within a few years.... REALLY hurts a car, bc anyone who bought that design will lose sooooo much value on their car.... then people will say, "well bmw realized that their car was ugly," instead of saying that bmw is backing their car despite the critics...

for a car company to give up on a design, that is just something an american car maker would do... im sure there are many faithful bmw drivers who still buy their cars, despite the critics... i see more new 7s on the road than i do old 7s.....
Old 01-21-04, 04:50 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by MSBoy
There are also, however, many risk-takers who failed miserably. Anyone care to name some they know of? The top 3 on my list is:

1. Chris Bangle
2. Sadam Hussein (sp?)
3. Mariah Carey

LOL! So risk-takers can be good and bad. Just wish someone at the headquarters in Munich would have just said NO to Chris Bangle.

LOL thats a good one man, never thought I'd see those 3 in one list before!! I agree with you guys man, he should have chosen another car (maybe SUV?) to try his S&M styling tricks on. Kinda like Cadillac started the square angled trend with the currect Escalade, and it flew out of stores, so they trickled the square edged thing down to the remainder of the line. I'm quite sure they were going in that direction anyway, but if the Escalade failed, they could have come up with a alternate plan of attack.
Old 01-21-04, 05:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Bangle-zed bimmers?

Well, guys....there may be some hope yet at BMW. I hope some of you noticed...as I did.....no I-Drive in the new X3. Maybe someone in Munich is finally listening.
Old 01-22-04, 12:32 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bangle-zed bimmers?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Well, guys....there may be some hope yet at BMW. I hope some of you noticed...as I did.....no I-Drive in the new X3. Maybe someone in Munich is finally listening.
they just don't wanna offer i-Drive in something around that price range (X3, 3 series, etc.)
Old 01-22-04, 12:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Bangle-zed bimmers?

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
they just don't wanna offer i-Drive in something around that price range (X3, 3 series, etc.)
Rumor has it the next 3-series will have it.....let's hope not.
Anyhow, it doesn't look like a very expensive system to produce. There's only one real moving part....the control ****. Everything else is electronics. It's just a pain in the *** to use.
Old 01-22-04, 12:51 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe its because im 19, but i think one **** wouldnt be hard to use at all.... maybe i should go try the i drive...
Old 01-22-04, 11:22 PM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: Bangle-zed bimmers?

Originally posted by mmarshall
Rumor has it the next 3-series will have it.....let's hope not.
Anyhow, it doesn't look like a very expensive system to produce. There's only one real moving part....the control ****. Everything else is electronics. It's just a pain in the *** to use.
Not only to use ...

Just imagine ... in a few years, when people are getting out of warranty and the electronics stuff is going to fail, ...
it is not only that it will be very expensive to replace, but also probably not possible to replace the parts.
All electronics devices are integrated and you cannot just replace one part of it. Try to replace the car hifi with an aftermarket systems ...

Also, is BMW keeping all parts in stock for all these years ...?
Old 01-23-04, 05:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Bangle-zed bimmers?

Originally posted by HKGS300
Not only to use ...

Just imagine ... in a few years, when people are getting out of warranty and the electronics stuff is going to fail, ...
it is not only that it will be very expensive to replace, but also probably not possible to replace the parts.
All electronics devices are integrated and you cannot just replace one part of it. Try to replace the car hifi with an aftermarket systems ...

Also, is BMW keeping all parts in stock for all these years ...?

Yes, I agree....but if you think THIS is a complex piece of electronics, just ake a look at the new Toyota Prius.