Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Motor to Expand Lexus to include a Sporty Lexus Vehicles & $70,000+ Lux Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-04, 10:09 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally applaud the effort to bring more models to the line-up. Lexus is getting beat on the very low end and on the high end (where there is no car to even compete). While the IS handles great, it still is not completely up to par with the 3-series. And by handling, I just don't mean skidpad/slalom, i'm talking the FEEL of it... the steering, feeback, everything. Its close, but still not the 3. That, and I think we need serious sport packages on the cars. We need performance tuned suspension from the factory, especially on the IS and GS. I know the 04 LS has a sport-package optional, but I've yet to read from anyone how well the handling improves. An IS430 with factory TEIN suspension or something of the sorts would be a VERY viable competitor for the M3. Clements is also right about needing a coupe, which is what many people 16-30 want. At least there are pretty solid rumors saying that we'll get a IS coupe and convertible in next generation.
Old 01-21-04, 11:27 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Reply to WannanewLex:

Originally posted by mmarshall
You say you would want a stick-shift 5-series rather than the new GS. Does that include the new I-Drive hump-trunk Chris Bangle special? Many traditional BMW fans are spurning this car.
I am not saying that the Germans design better cars. Lexus will forever have the best designs, and I'm sure few would argue. I was referring mainly to driving experience and excitement. It seems the Germans just can't come up with good designs (oh, and by design I mean overall ergonomics) and can't get quality right. Lexus, on the other hand, has everything they need to build performance (money, experience, engineering talent) but for some reason choose not to. They could easily dominate on all fronts: quality, design, and performance. Sadly, they don't seem fond of exploring the last one.

At least make one performance car. So what if it's a financial/sales flop? Toyota can take it financially, and I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the Lexus image as long as quality was good.

But I guess the culture is just plain pragmatic and conservative. I understand why they don't want to mess with it. They're perfectly safe doing what they're doing now.