Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Test Drove The Cacillac XLR Today!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-04, 07:55 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Test Drove The Cacillac XLR Today!

Visited my good friend and salesman (where I bought my 03' Yukon) today, and next door they also have a Cadillac dealership. I have only seen 1 of these on the road (black) and a red one at the Auto Show. Initially NO test drives were being allowed, which is to be expected of a Limited production car that is barely hitting the market and of course the most expensive model in GM's history.

I am happy to say that this was an "extended" drive @ an hour both city and highway driving.

1. The car is gorgeous in person! It definitely has "presence" and is low and wide.

2. Interior was EXCELLENT to the eye and to the touch! Great NAV/Sound System/Command Center (touch-screen). Seats were comfortable yet VERY supportive. TONS of leg & head room! Keyless entry and push-button starter was awesome!

3. Acceleration in ALL gears was exceptional. Very smooth idle, ride, and tranny.

4. Retractable Hard-Top was top-notch and while up has considerable trunk space!

5. Well insulated w/ top up at all times.

6. Visibility was great.

7. ABSOLUTELY TONS OF STARES! I drove downtown thru Mckinney (popular/busy street). All kinds of pointing and neck-breaking.

Final thoughts/Bottom Line:

For Mid-$70's this car does not feel, drive, act like a GM or American product. It has Excellent levels of fit & finish, performance, looks and an over all 'presence' unseen by American cars (save the Viper). I can in all honesty say, after having also driven the 03' SL500 (their target car)and of course SC430 (weekend demo when it 1st came out) the Cadillac XLR DEFINITELY should give any discerning driver/enthusiast, PLENTY to think about before heading up to the local Benz dealer. Now of course....... there will always be buyers that MUST have that 3-pointed star on the hood if for not a status symbol alone.

But I gotta tell ya........
Black on Black w/ a Gorgeous set of 20' multi-piece, staggered, chrome wheels.......

Old 01-19-04, 08:25 PM
LexFather

I also think it's a great car. Not sure why a car based on the Vette costs 75k. That is a ridiculous price, IMO, for this car. It does have hella presence to me, in person. Interior is good for a Caddy but not near SC 430 or SL levels.

Old 01-19-04, 08:43 PM
jet864
Lexus Champion

Uh oh Domestic haters...more positive comments about the caddy. Still have yet to hear anything directly negative about the XLR minus the price, which is still far below the SL. I've loved this car ever since I saw the first concept images and being based on the Vette chassis only gives it more of a positive image IMO. So TX, after the Z and a few years to build a rep, you think the XLR could be a retirement vehicle for ya?

James
Old 01-19-04, 08:52 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why is there no manual transmission for it? why why why?
its a $70k convertible C6 vette with love it or hate it hard-edged body styling...
its going to be a total flop
Old 01-19-04, 08:53 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Nice writeup TXT, glad you enjoyed your test drive. I also think this is pretty nice looking car (I saw one in black with black multipiece 20s on TV), I just have reservations about the price.
Old 01-20-04, 03:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

The most impressive Caddy I've seen in a long time, and I' m sure it's fun to drive. I still have reservations with the styling and especially the interior as well as overall quality. For the price, I'll take the new C6 corvette with a manual transmission.

For a hardtop convertible, I' ll keep my SC430 for it's incomparable quality, sound system and luxurious ambience, at a more reasonable price.
Old 01-20-04, 06:54 AM
BigVIPness
The Green Grundel

I'm guessing one of the reasons its $70k is because they know people will pay that much for it and because after the SRX they need all the money they can get.

Beautiful car though.
Old 01-20-04, 10:28 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I was beside a black one on the freeway (85 S) in Atlanta back in September! Top down. It was definately sweet!

It was a younger guy, mid 20's, and I guess his girlfriend. She was very hot!
Old 01-20-04, 11:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the writeup TXSTYLE!!!

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
I also think it's a great car. Not sure why a car based on the Vette costs 75k. That is a ridiculous price, IMO, for this car. It does have hella presence to me, in person. Interior is good for a Caddy but not near SC 430 or SL levels.
I've got to agree with Sick on this one.
Old 01-20-04, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Domestic car haters?

Many of us on this forum don't post negative things about Cadillacs (and domestics in general) for nothing....there are good reasons for it. Too many times, we've seen and heard a lot of hype about Cadillac "finally" building world-class products, and what have we gotten? The same old squeaks and rattles, cheap hardware, poor build quality, and sloppy paint jobs all fresh in a new wrapper. We saw this with the Allante. The Catera. The Seville. The Escalade. The CTS. Now we're expected to believe that all of a sudden, Cadillac just waved its magic wand and "presto" ......we got Lexus-quality stuff and BMW driveability now. Well, I'm not quite that gullible....yet. Yes, the XLR looks...and maybe feels....promising, and the Type V may in fact eventually compete with the M cars. But my point is that Caddy this time is going to have to PROVE it.....with cars that don't break down every Friday night on a hot date, don't rattle like a can of marbles, and have paint that you can actually see yourself in....without a bunch of orange peel. That will not be determined on a simple test-drive or road test...it will have to be earned with time.
Old 01-20-04, 12:27 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

personally, I'm feelin this ride from every angle BUT the front.

Last edited by ebruce2; 01-20-04 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-20-04, 12:30 PM
Captain Bone
Lexus Champion

Nice car, no manual, high price.. I echo just about all of Sick's comments.. Unfortunately this gets a

-Anthony
Old 01-20-04, 12:31 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Its pretty nice, much better then their last try, you guys remember the Cadillac Allmente (<spelling?)
Old 01-20-04, 02:46 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by thisguy_06
Its pretty nice, much better then their last try, you guys remember the Cadillac Allmente (<spelling?)
Allante. Yeah, I remember that car quite well......My ex-girlfriends Mom had one.

jet864
Uh oh Domestic haters...more positive comments about the caddy. Still have yet to hear anything directly negative about the XLR minus the price, which is still far below the SL. I've loved this car ever since I saw the first concept images and being based on the Vette chassis only gives it more of a positive image IMO. So TX, after the Z and a few years to build a rep, you think the XLR could be a retirement vehicle for ya?

James
Well, if you guys know me, then you know I'm quite picky and tedious about things such as cars, my home, electronics, clothes..... well I guess everything!

James, I can in all honesty say that I would like to see a 1 yr. editorial and owner review of this car. I'm a firm believer in cars costing over $50k that a "demo/pre-owned" is smart spending. Now obviously I'm a ways off from retirement (34 this Summer) BUT....... I can in all honesty say that here lately, I have this thing for cars that can provide me with both Sport & Luxury and of course "presence". This Caddy will definitely be in my conscience for a future purchase.
Old 01-20-04, 03:33 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

I suggest that if you have the time and or interest, go and drive one... I'm sure you'll be impressed.
And actually as far as interiors go... The Caddy stacks up nicely against Benz and Lexus. Again you have to drive them all.
Any way you slice it, $75 is a lot of cheese for a car. Let's keep in mind some of the "technical advances" you are getting here.

And guess what? The #'s and stats don't lie people:
The numbers speak volumes. Compared with the SC and the SL, the XLR has the longest wheelbase by almost three inches--yet, thanks to snug overhangs front and rear, it's the shortest in length. The XLR is the widest and lowest, and it's a good 200 pounds lighter than the Lexus and 400 pounds lighter than the Benz. Engine output, 320 horsepower at 6400 rpm, is the best of the trio. At 24 mpg, the XLR delivers the best EPA highway fuel-economy rating, too.
The XLR's transmission, a five-speed automatic, is mounted at the rear for improved weight distribution. It includes a semi-manual sequential-shift feature that allows the driver to change gears simply by nudging the lever fore or aft.

The XLR interior is graced with superb leather buckets, handsome eucalyptus-wood insets, and patterned-aluminum accents. Almost every imaginable convenience is standard, including GPS navigation, heated and cooled seats, a voice-activated telephone, a spectacular Bose stereo with additional headrest speakers, and gauges designed in concert with famed Italian jeweler Bulgari. The only option is an XM satellite radio.
Like the SL500, the XLR features an adaptive cruise-control system that uses a forward-mounted radar unit to maintain a selected distance between you and the car ahead. And while a keyless ignition system is optional on the SL, on the XLR it's standard. In fact, the XLR is truly keyless--there are no key holes in the doors or the ignition. Simply pocket the key fob, and you can open the doors or start the engine at the push of a button. (Cadillac does include a key in case of a complete electronic failure--there's a small keyhole hidden in the bodywork.)
At the test track, the XLR proved true to its performance-car pedigree. Fastest to 60 mph (6.25 seconds), best 0-100-0 time, and second best on the skidpad (0.83 g) and in the slalom--despite relatively skinny all-season run-flat tires. Pushed hard on the road, the XLR makes thrilling noises as the Northstar nears its 6700-rpm redline, and the suspension returns a remarkable combination of handling quickness and fluid ride control. Credit the XLR's magnetic ride-control system, which automatically adjusts shock damping to handle changing road conditions and driver inputs.

For more go here: Three Kings: 2004 Cadillac XLR vs. 2003 Lexus SC 430 vs. 2003 Mercedes-Benz SL500 http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ux/index3.html

Obviously....... I'm not the only one impressed!

Quick Reply: Test Drove The Cacillac XLR Today!