Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If a company that makes Lexus can do this.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 07:00 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's nothing short of simply amazing.

Wasn't there a Toyota pickup with a million miles on it?
Old 01-27-04, 09:15 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A freind of mine had an older toyota pickup, i think it was an 86-88 or something, but he proclaimed any vehicle he would drive had to have the same inline 4 that the truck in that video had to to its unbelievable reliability. Thats just incredible after the car going though that that it could still run and drive... Would the fuel lines and gas tank have ruptured from all that abuse?
Old 01-28-04, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by SC400-V8
A freind of mine had an older toyota pickup, i think it was an 86-88 or something, but he proclaimed any vehicle he would drive had to have the same inline 4 that the truck in that video had to to its unbelievable reliability. Thats just incredible after the car going though that that it could still run and drive... Would the fuel lines and gas tank have ruptured from all that abuse?
Those 80's vintage Toyota pickups had drivetrains that would indeed run forever with oil changes. The problem was that all of the beds rusted out in EXACTLY the same place....the beltline above the rear wheel well. It would get a brown rust strip that ran along the weld line where the bed was welded on to the frames. It would get worse and worse with time until the bed literally fell off. This was because, in order to get around the 25% tariff on imported trucks at the time, Toyota imported the whole truck assemblies, minus the beds, from Japan. They would come off the boat with frame, engine, cab....everything but the bed. Technically this would exempt them from the tariff. Then the beds would be welded on at the Toyota West Coast storage facility.....with LOUSY welds that were prone to corrosion. These welds would rust out from the INSIDE, so no matter how many times you washed / waxed it or cleaned the salt off, there was no way you could stop it.

Other than this the trucks indeed were bulletproof.