Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota won't bring back Supra

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-04, 04:45 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Its all numbers!

Yeah, Ole Toyota is really playing it safe. They 're going to stick with trends and what sells basically going by "numbers" - in a business sense = Its smart, but for reputation and having a flagship sports car - they are losing touch with the performance market. Don't tell me- their idea is -If you want a sports car with power - buy a Lexus! Oh Geez - They got their heads screwded on too tight.. I would love to see a Lexus Sports Car -but I don't think thats really a right direction - Are they actually letting the Nissan market dominate the import sports car market with two models (G35 and 350Z)?!? Even Mazda Brought back their Rotary Car from the dead and revived it with concept styling and a new motor.. I can't believe Toyota is Wimping out!!

I've been looking for a Sports Car and waiting on the New Supra - and now I'm really mad!
It looks like a new C6 Corvette will be in my drive way after this Summer!

Toyota has been a disappointment with the No-New Supra and a flaky looking new-GS!
--I'm starting not to Like Toyota now.. They are getting on my freakin nerves with this Nickle and Dime BS!!!
and isn't Toyota one of the richest car companies in the world?!? *What-Gives*?!?

Sigh----

Last edited by 1QWKGS4; 01-24-04 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-24-04, 11:22 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are supposed to have a few performance vehicles out there guys; i've seen threads on this very forum describing them

anyone remember pics of the Fine-S? it didnt look good but those were drawings.. never know what it'll actually look like

Toyota has already stated that to bring a turbocharged car out would set them 10 years back from where they are currently... they will bust up the arena with hybrid-electric performance vehicles... the Fine-S had some kind of 6-cylinder, a supercharger, and an electric motor... supposed to make it very fast with great gas mileage...
Old 01-24-04, 12:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Toyota won't bring back Supra

Originally posted in the article
[BPress points instead to the Camry Solara, MR2 Spyder roadster and Celica, along with sport-tuned versions of some Toyota trucks, as filling the performance void.[/B]
Right, like the Solara, MRS, and the Celica can compete with RX8, 350Z, and G35coupe. They're barely enough for the RSX.

Those cars will do well in the lower-division sportscars (because Nissan don't have the Silvia anymore and it was never here anyways) but not having a flagship-type sportscar is just lame.

I agree with LEXISM, even if the Supra's back, it'll be some 3UZ-FE V8 tuned Supra not a V6TT or L6TT. It won't be as good as the MKIV Supra.

I with my stupid portfolio would go up more so I can grab a Supra ASAP
Old 01-24-04, 11:30 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm quite upset with this decision, but is it any big surprise? Judging by Toyota's history of brand identities it's hard to imagine the development of an exotic for a company carving an image of sensibility and practicallity. Already plans are underway to rid the "Toyota" brand (in the US at least) of the Celica, one of only two coupes in the line up. Instead its replacement becomes the next Scion. Nissan's long term sales of the G35 coupe should be some indicator of any future Supra replacement showing up as a Lexus. If Toyota begins to lose lots of potential customers to Infiniti's coupes then you can bet they'll come up with some kind of competition. After all, costs would be relatively low on creating such a coupe. They already have a chassis/powertrain combo that they could easily modify and pass off as the next great luxury coupe.
Old 01-24-04, 11:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Leets
I'm quite upset with this decision, but is it any big surprise? Judging by Toyota's history of brand identities it's hard to imagine the development of an exotic for a company carving an image of sensibility and practicallity. Already plans are underway to rid the "Toyota" brand (in the US at least) of the Celica, one of only two coupes in the line up. Instead its replacement becomes the next Scion. Nissan's long term sales of the G35 coupe should be some indicator of any future Supra replacement showing up as a Lexus. If Toyota begins to lose lots of potential customers to Infiniti's coupes then you can bet they'll come up with some kind of competition. After all, costs would be relatively low on creating such a coupe. They already have a chassis/powertrain combo that they could easily modify and pass off as the next great luxury coupe.
sounds like they'll reintroduce the next Supra when the SC330 is due.
Old 01-25-04, 04:22 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Who knows what Toyota will do... it is a shame that they've gotten rid of the Supra, but hey, maybe in a couple of years they may come up with a new one. My vote? A Supra in a similar shape as an SC430 but hardtop with a VVTi 2JZGTE
Old 01-25-04, 02:43 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus supercar

Everyone seemed to have forgotten that Lexus supercar with the 5.0 liter, 500 hp V10. We all read about it in the car mags during the summer. Its supposed to compete with aston martin, and even some lambroghinis.

I seriously have no idea when this thing is due either, the project was almost scrapper because of vibration harshness of the V10 engine, but last I heard, they tuned it differently and solved that problem and got the green light to proceed with the development process....

Who knows, maybe when I turn 26 I could pick one up used a year or two for like 60K.... interesting to think of, but also I have to wonder why I would when my SC400 has 310 ft.lbs of torque and I never use them all.
Old 01-26-04, 07:37 PM
ChrisFL
Driver

Default Re: Lexus supercar

Originally posted by SC400-V8
Everyone seemed to have forgotten that Lexus supercar with the 5.0 liter, 500 hp V10. We all read about it in the car mags during the summer. Its supposed to compete with aston martin, and even some lambroghinis.

I seriously have no idea when this thing is due either, the project was almost scrapper because of vibration harshness of the V10 engine, but last I heard, they tuned it differently and solved that problem and got the green light to proceed with the development process....

Who knows, maybe when I turn 26 I could pick one up used a year or two for like 60K.... interesting to think of, but also I have to wonder why I would when my SC400 has 310 ft.lbs of torque and I never use them all.
Any idea where you heard about the engine? I think I read once that Toyota was waiting for their F1 team to really do well before they release the car. Hopefully they'll officially announce it this year sometime.

I can see them using a high performance version of the SMT already in the MR2 Spyder, detuned F1 V10, could make for some serious peformance.
Old 01-26-04, 08:47 PM
Adam5oh
Driver School Candidate

That really sucks, boooo toyota. Sports car market is fickle?? Grow some freakin *****... one of the biggest automakers in the world and not a single sports car in its lineup. They talk about the matrix and corrola attracting young buyers but they are not sports cars, they are grocery getters. Nissan was in some serious trouble and stepped up and it paid off big. Even if I were in the market for a SUV or sedan, I would not buy toyota simply because they have abandoned the performance segment. Id much rather give my business to a company that will spend the time making cars that I can get excited about...