Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you think that Lexus is holding up its name like it use to?
Yes, Lexus is really doing a good job these days.
78.95%
No, Lexus should rethink what they are doing.
21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Traveling Back In Time. Lexus.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 11:29 AM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Traveling Back In Time. Lexus.

I have been looking at Lexus' History and how it all started lately. I have been thinking about what Lexus has been doing these days also. What do you guys think? Do you think that Lexus is holding up it's name like it use to. During the earlier years Lexus was just an amazing company. Now a days people don't seem to be interested in Lexus. People turn towards BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, etc. when looking at Luxury Automobiles. Lexus was created to get peoples' attention centered on Lexus. When introduced people were amazed with Lexus, but now it seems to be just another thought of the past. I personally love Lexus, but why doesn't the average person understand what Lexus is all about? People just want power and manual transmissions. I know that Lexus' sales and reliablity rating are high, but I don't think that Lexus' presence is like it use to be.

Anyways here is an article I put together from numerous sources on the internet.

Lexus was a thought that was made into so much more. Toyota wanted to show the world that they were able to make the best in Luxury Automobiles. For decades Toyotas held their own through their reliability, but Eiji Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corp., knew that Toyota was capable of so much more.

Eiji was the cousin of Kiichiro Toyoda, founder of Toyota Motor Corp. 1933, and they worked together since the beginning. Eiji was 18 years younger than his cousin Kiichiro. When Kiichiro, age 39, started Toyota Motor Corp. in 1933 his younger cousin was attending Tokyo Imperial University. Eiji's extended education was thanks to his Uncle Rashomon Sackichi Toyoda who had died a few years before. Sackichi wanted his nephew to have an education, so that both Kiichiro and Eiji would be capable of running the company that he dreamed about.

Kiichiro Toyoda died at the age of 58 in 1952. Now Eiji was the leader of Toyota. He would go on to fulfill his family's wishes of being the no less than the best. In 1967 Eiji was named President of Toyota Motor Corp. He had every intention to maintain Toyota's great name. He would continue to do the best that he was capable of. His entrance into the US market was far from great. The Crown was not a success at all. The car's performance was far from what Eiji intended. Eiji knew what had to be done. He had to stop sales and start over. He knew that this would cost him serious money, but he couldn't have the Crown represent what Toyota stood for.

The 1960s was when Eiji would do what he intended. He introduced the Corona and Corolla in 1966. These models represented the statements that Eiji Toyoda wanted to tell the world. He knew it all along. His small Japanese company was capable of standing against the rest. His entrance into the US market started it all. Today Toyota Motor Corp. sells their vehicles in more than 150 countries. Also Toyota Motor Corp. production lines provide jobs for people in more than 20 countries.

As you can see Eiji knew his company was able to create a Luxury Division capable of competing with "the best of the best". He started it all on an August day in 1983. He called for a secret meeting. Here he would propose a plan to have Toyota become a name well known in the Luxury Automobile world. Eiji knew that Toyota had the knowledge to move forward from where they were standing.

By the fall of 1984 the start of Lexus was well underway. Chief Engineers Shoiji Jimbo and Ichiro Suzuki were heading the team of technicians and designers. This group was to work day and night trying to come up with what Eiji Toyoda was asking of them. Eiji wanted a world class automobile. Jimbo and Suzuki were willing to deliver.

That same year Shoiji Jimbo, Ichiro Suzuki, and the team of technicians and designers were working to create a prototype. The project car was named "F1". The "F" stood for Flagship and the "1" stood for the car's newly renowned innovation. Work on the "F1" was laborious. Every aspect of the automobile was to meet the requirements that Eiji set down. The team worked with the knowledge that Toyota received over the decades of its existence. With the cognition that they had they worked to create something that would be sure to impress Eiji.

Now that the team was working on the prototype they wanted to see what else they need to do to create the perfect car for the American. They wanted to understand an American's needs, so that they could implement features that would attract these customers. Also dealerships were interviewed to see how the American did business. They made sure that every dealership that would sell Lexus automobiles was capable of completing the challenge of satisfying the customer.

By July 1985 the first prototype was created. This prototype took more than a years work from 60 designers, 1,400 engineers, 2,300 technicians, and 220 support workers. Toyota began testing the prototype "F1" as soon as it was ready for it. By the spring of 1986 testing was taking place on the Autobahn in Germany. It was obvious that there would be many tweaks needed for the "F1" to be a major contender in the Luxury Automobile world.

A year after the testing of the "F1" began the final design was accepted. Seven other designs were proposed, but the requirements were so great that it took eight times to get it right. Now that the F1's development was complete Toyota was out to show the world what they had made. They were sure that their "F1" was going to be a success, but there was really only one way to find out.

In January 1988, Toyota debut its new Luxury Division's "Lexus" name and "L" emblem at the Los Angeles Auto Show. A month later, in Chicago, the Midwest was introduced to the Luxury Division from Toyota. After that the word spread to New York and Atlanta. People all over America knew that Toyota was serious about making a Luxury Division to compete with the best. Orders rolled in as these car enthusiasts saw what the "F1" was all about.

As of November 1988 the "F1" was designated the name of "LS 400". The "LS" standing for Luxury Sedan and the "400" stood for the 4.0 Liter V8 powering the Flagship Sedan.

The first public appearance the LS 400 made was at the Detroit Auto Show in January of 1989. Here Lexus would show off the slick design of the LS 400. People were interested, but still questioning the presence of the new division. They doubted Lexus for they believed that there was no way that Toyota could make an automobile that could compete with the likes of BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Audi. Toyota was known to build quality and reliable automobiles, but they were also known to be for the lower class automobile purchaser.

On September 1, 1989 the first LS 400 was purchased. It was a huge step forward for Lexus. The public had both eyes fixed on Lexus. They were waiting for a flaw to show up in the LS 400. They soon realized that LS 400 didn't have flaws, but rather set standards that others had to follow. The value of the LS 400 was greater than any other models provided by other manufactures. The sales for Lexus increased while the sales for other Luxury Automobiles dwindled. The price and value of the LS 400 attracted the American customer. The customer service provided by the carefully selected dealerships set new standards for BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and other Luxury Automobile companies to follow.

From the presentation of Eiji Toyoda's dream of being a known name in the Luxury Automobile world in 1983 to the debut of the "F1" in the Detroit Auto Show there were never any compromises made. If there was something that had to be done it would be. Seven different designs were proposed for the final design of the "F1". Not until the eighth try did team of more than 3,000 designers, technicians, and engineers get it right. All flaws were deleted as these designs improved one after the other. This is shown by the customer satisfaction rating for Lexus in its first year of existence.

The LS 400 was the start of it all, but as you know Lexus' wide range of automobiles suit all kinds of life styles and does it in a way that no other can compare to.

Please feel free to correct any incorrect information. P.S. This information was from numerous online sites. I just put it all together into this article. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-01-04, 01:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I think Lexus is doing a bang-up job right now, and the next few years should prove even more interesting. Generalizations like "all people want is power and a stick shift" don't usually add much to a discussion like this. What people? You'd be SHOCKED to know how many BMWs are sold with an automatic, for example.

I don't think the Lexus brand name has ever had better recognition or prestige than it does right now. BMW and Benz must be fearing the future, for Lexus not only outsells them both but also bests them in every single J.D. Power survey of product quality or customer service. If (and this is a big if), Lexus can live up to their promises with all the changes and expansions in the works, they will vault head and shoulders above every other luxury carmaker. It will be a fun ride!
Old 02-01-04, 09:29 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up well

there doing great, and for a 15 year or so existence, there kickin major a$$
Old 02-01-04, 09:55 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

When I say everyone wants "power and stick shift" I mean the public in general. Nobody looks twice at Lexus Automobiles. When you see Super Sport Sedans Matches in magazines you never see a Lexus there. Nothing to compare with Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc. I think Lexus' Line up is great. Every model has it's unique style. The thing about Lexus is that you can only compare Lexus models to BMW's, Mercedes-Benz's, or Audi's average line-up. When the competeing makes start to make something outragous Lexus is left behind. I think Lexus should blow everybody away again. Do something different. They have been pretty quite lately. I don't think Eiji Toyoda would want this.
Old 02-02-04, 03:14 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lsportline43
When I say everyone wants "power and stick shift" I mean the public in general. Nobody looks twice at Lexus Automobiles.
Not to dog you too badly, but there you go again with the generalizations! There must be a lot of "nobodys" in the U.S. to make Lexus the best-selling luxury brand. And hopefully 1SickLex will pop his head in here soon because I'm too lazy to do the research, but there are plenty of car mag comparos of the 5-series, E-class, and GS. As I recall, for the first couple of model years of the 2nd gen GS it won due to a balance of performance, luxury, and quality. That balance still exists, and it's what Lexus is all about.
Old 02-02-04, 05:43 PM
Lsportline43
Lead Lap

You say that this is what Lexus is all about. This is not true. Lexus is the Luxury Division of Toyota. When Eiji Toyoda created Lexus he wanted it to represent everything Toyota was capable of. When the "F1" was created this was demonstrated very well. If you read up on the creation of the LS 400 you will see what I am talking about. The level of sophistication that was in the first LS 400 really showed the world what Toyota is capable of. Now there isn't much that shows this. Where is that spirit that was in the LS 400? Like I said before I love Lexus very much, but you must understand what I am trying to say. Toyota is capable of much more. Do you not agree on that? The current line-up is great, but I don't think it represents Lexus in the way Eiji Toyoda would want. Lexus needs to move ahead of the game. Just like they did in 1989. Lexus truly set new standards back then. Thank You for your input.
Old 02-02-04, 07:00 PM
jimxo
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Show me another car company that has done better since there inception only 15 yrs ago?

Lexus from every view point is doing it bettter than everyone else. Lexus 15 yrs from now may have cars that out perform MB and BMW in every way. Laugh like they did 15 yrs ago I had a BMW friend who said no one will every beat the Germans as the world luxury car makers- ha ha ha I wish I knew where he lived now so he could kiss my GS

Last edited by jimxo; 02-02-04 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 07:04 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

I would have to say, I wish I could go back in time to 1990-1992, when Lexus was just soooo ahead of it's time. The cars had such an impact on society in general. I also loved how they marketed alot of their cars as sports cars, such as the ES, and the SCs, although nowadays they do not market the ES as sporty at all, and the SC I believe they only put across as a prestigious hardtop convertible.

Aside from the trucks and the LS430, I actually don't much care for any of lexus's new designs, tho nice they are and certainly leading the class in value and quality without a doubt.

I seriously think it would have been awesome if lexus would have offered a "TRD" series much like Mercedes "AMG" from 1992-1995 that would have included the SC400 and LS400. The package that I dream of would have had a slightly sportier suspension and a supercharger that would bring the hp rating up to around 350 for both cars. Of course, it should be possible to simply make one of these aforementioned cars yourself!
Old 02-03-04, 12:11 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Lexus is going uphill and can't be stopped!?!
Old 02-03-04, 02:01 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lexus is always puching the scale....great work so far, a couple misshaps along teh way but great still overall...
Old 02-03-04, 08:22 PM
WhiteTiger
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC400-V8
I seriously think it would have been awesome if lexus would have offered a "TRD" series much like Mercedes "AMG" from 1992-1995 that would have included the SC400 and LS400. The package that I dream of would have had a slightly sportier suspension and a supercharger that would bring the hp rating up to around 350 for both cars. Of course, it should be possible to simply make one of these aforementioned cars yourself!
I would think that a SC could get you well past 350 hp with some other minimal modifications.

And some of the AMG's, etc. that are being compared here might well be over $100K from what I've heard.

My GS is nicely equipped (sig) with everything but On-Star from the dealer, including a 3.73 rear gear, HID's and 19" rims. And for the price I couldn't get anything comparable from BMW or Mercedes.

And I wouldn't change a thing re: quality or service, A+. I will really miss my GS when my lease is up, but I look forward to my next one anticipating even better vehicles in years to come.
Old 02-03-04, 08:31 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I too think Lexus is doing a great job overall, all of us would not be here if they were not!! I understand what Sportline is trying to say regarding the super car category, but that category does not generate very high sales numbers (I think Audi was slated to produce somthing like 1000-1500 RS6s) vs. the tooling and development of such models. Also the AMG thing is diff, because M/B has the ability to put one basic engine in 5 cars or so.

I think Lexus has a "steady does it" approach that has kept it going as well as profitable. i think SC400 V-8 is a little younger than me (25), but I remember when the SC was introduced in late 91, my last year of junior high, and trust me THE CAR WAS A SHOW STOPPER!!!!!!!!

if anything, I think Lexus will attack the ultra lux market, before the hi-po market, perhaps with a newer focus on a "L-tuned" type of line extension!
Old 02-03-04, 08:32 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Yes, that is true. Lexus detuned the V8 for its line to actually increase reliability... 350 hp and similar amount of torque would allow the SC400 to do 0-60 in the 5 second range easily, and could keep its reliability in check. Correct me if I'm wrong, but getting more power out of an engine stresses interior components and is more likely to cause failure.

Originally posted by WhiteTiger
I would think that a SC could get you well past 350 hp with some other minimal modifications.
Old 02-03-04, 09:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

besides having a bit more variety to compete with AMG and ///M cars, and the FWD ES300, they are doing fine. I say Lexus is the best thing that has happened to Toyota.
Old 02-03-04, 09:43 PM
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by nthach
besides having a bit more variety to compete with AMG and ///M cars, and the FWD ES300, they are doing fine. I say Lexus is the best thing that has happened to Toyota.
What's wrong with the FWD ES300?

Quick Reply: Traveling Back In Time. Lexus.