Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2004 Maxima vs. 2006 GS visual comparison

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-04, 11:52 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 2004 Maxima vs. 2006 GS visual comparison

I'm sure that this has been brought up, but since it's the first time visiting this, I thought I'd post these pics of the Maxima vs. 3rd gen GS for comparison. People think they look similar (and a lot of other cars on the road have similar styling cues), and I have to agree to a point, but I think the 2 cars are quite different enough that you won't mistake a Maxima for a new 3rd gen GS when it comes out. Much like I don't mistake a Saturn Vue (similar profile) for a Maxima.

Being a previous owner of 2 Maximas, and seeing the new 2004 Maxima model, I think the 2004 Maxima is rather bloated and plain. Look at one in person and you'll notice the slabbed sides are rather flat and uninspiring, and catch the car's rear end from the side and it looks out of proportion as it angles from the rear wheel upward too quickly to the bumper (as it's rear end is too short from the rear wheel). Also, some proportions of it look rather funky--esp. the front end with the large badge. The rear looks heavy as well.

Whereas the 3rd gen GS (2006), for being a midsize, looks rather sleek and sporty. From the angles I've seen of it, it looks great and sculpted. It has a nice low stance and the lines flow rather nicely. Granted, the 2006 GS will be about 25-40% more expensive than a Maxima (depending on your options), but it just plains works better for me--just my biased opinion

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Maxima vs. 2006 GS visual comparison-front-3_4.jpg  

Last edited by SeattleGS400; 02-01-04 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-01-04, 11:52 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Side view comparison

More. . .
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Maxima vs. 2006 GS visual comparison-side.jpg  
Old 02-01-04, 11:53 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Default Lastly, rear view

The rear views. . .
Attached Thumbnails 2004 Maxima vs. 2006 GS visual comparison-rear-3_4.jpg  
Old 02-01-04, 12:48 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Design trends, people, design trends. It's just the state of the industry at the moment. There are no massive design theft conspiracies going on.

IMHO, the GS and the Max look nothing alike. The GS looks good and, well, the Max does not.
Old 02-01-04, 01:04 PM
Lubs
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me the resemblance is uncanny. Many of the lines look so similar I would swear there is some component sharing going on.

That said, the Lexus is undoubtedly the nicer car. And we can't mistake who copied who here, the Maxima/Altima is a 2nd gen GS knock off. When the Maxima comes with RWD, maybe I'll start giving a ****. Not to mention a more reputable brand name, higher build quality, more luxury and more exclusivity. The Maxima is a nice family hauler, while the GS is in that nice medium between sport and luxury very few car companies have successfully wandered into.

The resemblance wouldn't stop me from getting an 06 GS (if I was going to buy). Only a legally blind person would mistake one from the other. You can just tell when you're looking at a Lexus and when you're not, IMHO.
Old 02-01-04, 01:10 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Wow. Lexus had better go back and do some SERIOUS redesigning before coming out with that next gen GS. Those pictures bring it to life--it doesn't just look similar to the Maxima, in some angles and on some design cues it IS the Maxima! Yikes!
Old 02-01-04, 11:07 PM
GSTRANCE
GS -Trance

Maxima=ugly as homemade soap
New GS=beautiful.....with some mods of course
Old 02-02-04, 08:12 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To see these two in person you will not think they look alike.

My preditiction: When the GS is released and at dealerships, many who think the resemblence is uncanny will change their tune.
Old 02-02-04, 10:23 AM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by looknow12
To see these two in person you will not think they look alike.

My preditiction: When the GS is released and at dealerships, many who think the resemblence is uncanny will change their tune.
Well said--my feelings exactly. I'm sure that when people see the two side-by-side, and unless they left their glasses at home, the 2 cars are like night and day. Single shots of a car do not make for a whole car viewed in person.

I must admit however, that when the design was intially released back in early Jan., the 2006 GS didn't quite appeal to me as much as the 2nd gen GS when it came out in 97, but it didn't take more than a day to realize how svelte, sleek, elegeant, and sporty the new 3rd gen GS design is.
Old 02-02-04, 12:05 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Hey I just noticed on the pics, Lexus put the gas fill on the passenget side on the new GS. Currently it is on the driver side, wonder why they did this since most Lexus models have the gas fill on the driver side?

As for comparision, in the pics they resemble each other but the GS is lower and I am sure in person the GS will look a lot better.
Old 02-02-04, 12:10 PM
SeattleGS400
Advanced

Originally posted by GS430 GUY
Hey I just noticed on the pics, Lexus put the gas fill on the passenget side on the new GS. Currently it is on the driver side, wonder why they did this since most Lexus models have the gas fill on the driver side?.
I actually horizontally flipped the Lexus picture, so I could get a similar aspect shots of the 2 cars to help w/ comparison. The flipped Lexus GS pics have the "L" emblem on the front switched backwards as a result of this. The gas tank filler is on the driver's side, so no worries on that
Old 02-02-04, 04:02 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by SeattleGS400
I actually horizontally flipped the Lexus picture, so I could get a similar aspect shots of the 2 cars to help w/ comparison. The flipped Lexus GS pics have the "L" emblem on the front switched backwards as a result of this. The gas tank filler is on the driver's side, so no worries on that
Ah you tricked me, good to know it's on the driver's side still. Thanks!
Old 02-03-04, 10:26 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I like the new GS alot... more than the 1st and 2nd gen, but theres no denying the uncanny resemblence to the Maxima. When I first opened the page I couldnt figure out which was which until I started seeing emblems!
Old 02-03-04, 08:22 PM
LexFather

It just totally pisses me off, how original the 2nd generation GS was and for Nissan to BLATANTLY rip it off for the new Altima and Maxima. At a glance, the profiles are identical. To the casual observer, they look like a Lexus. They want to look like a Lexus.

Now it's really funny hearing Nissan owners say WE copied the 6th gen. They do look similar in pics and at a glance. But in detail, the 2nd gen BLOWS away the Maxima, I am sure the new GS will extend this further.

But I cannot lie that I have been fooled quite a few times thinking I am looking at a GS and it's a ******* Altima or Maxima. And I can call out a car a mile away. Drats.

Old 02-04-04, 09:02 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I also think that it's profile looks JUST like a new maxima! It's lights are obviously different in style and shape, but the frame is about 90% identical. I would not be surprised to see maximas rolling around with GS head/tail lights in the near future.

Personally, I don't like how either of the cars looks.

Quick Reply: 2004 Maxima vs. 2006 GS visual comparison