Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Deciding on a new car, what are your thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-04, 10:15 AM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on a new car, what are your thoughts.

Guys, I have been here a while, and always liked Lexus as well. We had a RX300, but we had to sell it for a car due to a shoulder injury. It was a bit to hard to steer. Here is the deal. I currently drive a 03 Pathfinder Le. I thought I would like a SUV, but hate it. I am looking at 2 cars heavily, but concluded last weekend that the ACURA TL wasn't the right car.

The Acura was a nice car, interior and exterior, but I can always see the cheapness in it. Vibrations, panel was broken on dash already (6 miles on car already), etc. It was also a bit weak in the power from a start. I drove the 6spd.

Now the G35 is much better overall car for performance. Interior is OKAY. I wanted a good overall car for performance and luxury since I drive 100 miles a day. I also needed pretty good gas mileage. I can't think of anything Lexus has that would fit my bill. The IS300 is a good car, but a bit to small for my taste. Gs400 or 430 would be something to look at, but the gas on it would be pretty bad I am sure.

So tell me your thoughts guys.

Purchase time frame is within the next 1-2 months.
Old 02-02-04, 12:36 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Mileage between the G35 and GS400, 430 would be very similar. The TL may be a couple mpg better, but not by much. Take a look a good look at the GS before you make your decision - it's a fine car, and a good vehicle to use as a baseline in your comparisons (it'd likely be the cheapest of the 3 if you're considering used ones).
Old 02-02-04, 01:31 PM
Milla...

Well this is a Lexus site so more than likely you'll get a bias response. Because of that I never ask questions like that on a auto specific site you'll get no where but right back where you started. So with that 'll give you some honest ideas that does not include Lexus. Now I'm not up on all of the specs on autos so I'm just going to give some general impressions that I noted, again just to give you some ideas.

If the car has to be brand new.

Acura TL - Although it didn't sit well with you this is my first choice because of overall quality and overall performance, just remember its not an RWD V8 so I don't think we should exspect it do anymore than what its designed for. Each car will have its issues, you can't come to an honest conclusion base one isolated insident I learned that here in CL
G35 sedan - Overall a nice powerful car decent roomy and sporty, for me the interior is cheap and will age poorly with time. Also the ever haunting poor resale values.

Audi A6 - A car that I like very much particularly the interior you also have a varity of engines to choose from which is always nice, the 4.7 yummy. Reliability is poor on those but many people have no problem overlooking that due to many pluses the Audi has.

BMW 5 series - Pricey might be more than you wish to dish out at this time based on your comments, that is if I understood you correctly I wasen't sure. It sounds like the perfomance and size of a 5 series is right up your alley.

MB e series - Same as comments above.

You also have those others like Saab, Volvo, and VW there may be some aftermarket goodies that my bring those to your personal performance exspectations at a reasonable price. Don't rule them out.

Be careful If your to critical with these cars you'll end up with nothing because theirs no such thing as a perfect car, that why many who are rich have multiple cars of different types.

So take your time do the research and make your decision, as you know cars are not investments they get old they break down and you'll be looking to dispose of it after a while, so don't take this car buying business tooooo seriously make it fun. Theres things about Lexus that I don't really care for but its the car that came closest to all that I wanted and thats about all there is to be expected out of luxury cars.

Please excuse any misspellings I haven't the time check it right now.

Last edited by Milla...; 02-02-04 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-02-04, 03:26 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

What you described ("a good overall car for performance and luxury") IS the GS430. Barring that, I think the TL is head and shoulders above the competition if you're willing to take that minor step down in quality.
Old 02-02-04, 03:36 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you mind a 2003?

540i 6MT
Old 02-02-04, 04:09 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

What about the Nissan Altima? If you go for the 3.5 SE you are getting a powerful car (245HP) with decent leg room (43.9 front) and respectable gas milage (21 city - 26 highway).

Based on what you want, I think it's a very worthy consideration, especially since it starts at $23k!!

Other worthy considerations would be:

Lexus ES (beautiful ride all around starting at $32k)
BMW 525i (ugly rear end, but otherwise fair looking. starting at $39k)

Based on what you said though, I think the Altima is the best consideration.
Old 02-02-04, 06:37 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some have been pleasantly surprised by the Saab 9-5 and Consumers Reports recommends it. Take it for a spin.
Old 02-03-04, 05:26 AM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Too many Altimas in our house already!

Originally posted by MSBoy
What about the Nissan Altima? If you go for the 3.5 SE you are getting a powerful car (245HP) with decent leg room (43.9 front) and respectable gas milage (21 city - 26 highway).

Based on what you want, I think it's a very worthy consideration, especially since it starts at $23k!!

Other worthy considerations would be:

Lexus ES (beautiful ride all around starting at $32k)
BMW 525i (ugly rear end, but otherwise fair looking. starting at $39k)

Based on what you said though, I think the Altima is the best consideration.
Old 02-03-04, 05:26 AM
SilverBullet
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the feedback!
Old 02-03-04, 06:06 AM
Beancountr
Driver School Candidate

Hey. I'm a new guy here but thought I would chime in.

Everyone has brought up good alternatives but I drive one that no one has brought up.

Why not a Volvo?? I currently have an S60 AWD and absolutely love it. IT has the sport and premium pkg on it. Full leather , 17 in rims and sport suspension.

Surprisingly, the ride isnt harsh at all and the inside is pretty luxurious. There is no overkill of wood trim but it is tasteful inside. It has good power with 208 hp and you can't beat the AWD in the bad weather. If oyu are doing highway driving for your 100 miles a day then you can expect mid to high 20's in gas mileage. The AWD starts at around $33k I guess. Mine fully loaded was $37.5k but negotiated a lease with a price of $33k. Right place, right time.

Just my .02.