Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

If you needed one car for <$50k...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-04, 07:31 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you needed one car for <$50k...

Okay, the lexus is now sold (well, I have the deposit, and the rest is being wired next week, so it is more or less sold). I also am getting serious interest in my D90 since I have dropped the price on it slightly.

Once both these cars are gone I am thinking of also getting rid of my GTi daily driver, and just picking up once nice vehicle to cover all of my needs.

The problem is I can't honestly think of ONE vehicle that would do it all for me.

My question is if you had a $50k budget, and wanted something that would work in all 4 seasons (and yes it does snow here some) what would you pick? It doesn't HAVE to cost $50k, I have even considered a new STI or something like that, I just can't seem to set my mind on one thing. Any suggestions?

I am half tempted to buy a cheap 4wd used truck for daily/high mileage use, and then putting $40-$50k in a sports car, but I can't think of any one specific sports car in that price range that really stands out to me either ... So let's stick to the original question.

1 vehicle, useful in 4 seasons. Keep in mind I am single now, and need to have something nice enough to take dates out in

-Ethan
Old 02-06-04, 07:44 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Default Re: If you needed one car for <$50k...

Originally posted by Ebanks
Okay, the lexus is now sold (well, I have the deposit, and the rest is being wired next week, so it is more or less sold). I also am getting serious interest in my D90 since I have dropped the price on it slightly.

Once both these cars are gone I am thinking of also getting rid of my GTi daily driver, and just picking up once nice vehicle to cover all of my needs.

The problem is I can't honestly think of ONE vehicle that would do it all for me.

My question is if you had a $50k budget, and wanted something that would work in all 4 seasons (and yes it does snow here some) what would you pick? It doesn't HAVE to cost $50k, I have even considered a new STI or something like that, I just can't seem to set my mind on one thing. Any suggestions?

I am half tempted to buy a cheap 4wd used truck for daily/high mileage use, and then putting $40-$50k in a sports car, but I can't think of any one specific sports car in that price range that really stands out to me either ... So let's stick to the original question.

1 vehicle, useful in 4 seasons. Keep in mind I am single now, and need to have something nice enough to take dates out in

-Ethan

The RX 330 yo!
Old 02-06-04, 07:44 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can think of a lot of cars that would fit the bill until you say it needs to be useful in 4 seasons. The only one that comes to mind given that requirement is....

Last edited by Technics; 02-06-04 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 07:53 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Technics
I can think of a lot of cars that would fit the bill until you say it needs to be useful in 4 seasons. The only one that comes to mind given that requirement is....

this is well over 50k....i am currently looking at one too 52k MSRP

Last edited by GS400kid; 02-06-04 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 08:00 PM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GS400kid
this is well over 50k....i am currently looking at one too 52k MSRP
Really? Man talk about dealer markup. Audi's website says starting at $46,370 but of course the dealer decides the final price.

Well, for a little over 50k, the S4 is what comes to mind.
Old 02-06-04, 08:06 PM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Technics
Really? Man talk about dealer markup. Audi's website says starting at $46,370 but of course the dealer decides the final price.

Well, for a little over 50k, the S4 is what comes to mind.
well after the options i added up on Audi's site, $51420MSRP, this is what i really want for now...
Old 02-06-04, 08:17 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Four seasons. How about this example, FX45 with 3000 miles and $40k:
http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...rc=&cid=&row=6
Old 02-06-04, 08:18 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

S4 is really the only nice car that has come to mind for me too... I just can't think of anything else However, the new body style just came out making it near impossible to find a used one, and I have sworn myself to never buy a brand new car again!

Too bad RS6s are like $85k because this discussion would already be settled!

-Ethan
Old 02-06-04, 08:19 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by gs400998
Four seasons. How about this example, FX45 with 3000 miles and $40k:
http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...rc=&cid=&row=6
Those FX45s are sharp IMO.. I didn't realize the depreciation was hitting them like that!

-Ethan
Old 02-06-04, 11:05 PM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

If you can live without the luxury:

Otherwise I'd go with the new Legacy GT, 250hp, as fast as the S4 (around 5sec 0-60), much cheaper (around 30K) and very nice on the inside.

Old 02-06-04, 11:42 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Do they offer the STi without the gawdy wing?

-Ethan
Old 02-07-04, 12:03 AM
IsraelRX
Pole Position

Yes.

But its part of its charm. It looks goofy anf rice at first, but its part of what the car stands for (Rally heritage) and fits well with its charecter.

Old 02-07-04, 08:08 AM
LexFather

Ebanks, I am with you. Whereas before, only a handful of cars were intereting or could be recommended, there is a lot of stiff competition out there. Through in modifications to whatever you buy and it can get downright mad!

Maybe get something to roll about now until the new GS next spring?

Old 02-07-04, 08:59 AM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

The first big decision you have to make is whether you think a sport-ute suits your needs (questionable on the date thing?) or if you need a car. Here are some suggestions for both:

Sport-utes:
1) Acura MDX. Looks good, performs well, loaded with features for a very fair price.
2) Lexus RX330. Rock-solid reliability, smooth ride, Lexus prestige.
3) Volvo XC90. Kind of funny-looking, but if the STi is in your ballpark then it's not!
4) Infiniti FX35. You can't get a new 45 for the price you're talking, but the 35 is nice too.

Cars:
1) Acura TL. The new bodystyle is really nice, again loaded with features at an unbeatable price, FWD makes it an all-season car.
2) Lexus ES330. Like the RX, you get all the best of Lexus but in a non-performance shell.
3) Infiniti G35x. The 4WD version is quite tempting as an all-season performer.
4) BMW 330xi. I've sworn off Bimmers, but lots of people like 'em.
Old 02-07-04, 10:07 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Lexus ES 330 Loaded with Navigation/ML for $35K. And BANK the $15K Change.

Quick Reply: If you needed one car for <$50k...