Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Police give a record $216,900 speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 02:57 PM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That truly is a dumb law. As dumb as some of our laws can get here in the US, I doubt that anything like that would ever be implemented here. Some idiot with absolutly nothing to do came up with that one.
Old 02-11-04, 03:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's why we see a lot of rich European guys entering the Gumball. Because in U.S.A speeding ticket mean nothing to them and they laugh about it.
I think this law in Finland will make the rich think twice before they step on the gas pedal.
Old 02-11-04, 04:14 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

So the end result is that you have a bunch of low-income "poor" people with nothing to lose driving around like maniacs.
Old 02-11-04, 05:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Gekko
So the end result is that you have a bunch of low-income "poor" people with nothing to lose driving around like maniacs.
Or vice versa. Good call Gekko.
But then the rich got all the money in the world for the ticket , attorney and higher insurance+ a fast car or SUV.
Old 02-11-04, 05:47 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by amlin423
It reminds me of basketball stars who really couldn't possibly care less about a 500 dollar Technical or a 25k or 50k fine for swearing, post game interviews no shows, tardies...etc..etc..I bet it would make them think twice before they act so immaturely if the penalties were a percentage of their income.
That is a very good point, I know I would think twice about speeding if the fine was proportionate to my income
Old 02-12-04, 03:16 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

At least the "rich" probably have INSURANCE! There are a lot of "poor" people out there who drive around with NO INSURANCE and NO ASSETS/INCOME and could care less if they crash into your car!
Old 02-12-04, 03:48 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

At least the "rich" probably have INSURANCE! There are a lot of "poor" people out there who drive around with NO INSURANCE and NO ASSETS/INCOME and could care less if they crash into your car!
Good point Gekko. I've never though about that. Around here in Atlanta we have a lot of people driving around with drive out tag for years(the dealer tag is worn out) and no insurance.
Old 02-12-04, 04:50 PM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GS4fun
IA rich guy getting a ticket for $500 will not feel as much pain as the struggling guy getting the same ticket.
Wayyy too much money for a ticket. That is utterly RIDICULOUS!!!

Also, two weeks back I mailed out $515 for my latest speeding ticket -- and my most expensive
Old 02-12-04, 07:21 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

>"Also, two weeks back I mailed out $515 for my latest speeding ticket -- and my most expensive ."

$515?????? How fast in what speed limit?? Any other charges?
Old 02-13-04, 07:37 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

>"Also, two weeks back I mailed out $515 for my latest speeding ticket -- and my most expensive ."

$515?????? How fast in what speed limit?? Any other charges?
110 in a 65 -- clocked by Georgia State Patrol
Old 02-13-04, 05:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

I don't believe anyone should pay any fine for speeding. There's no 'victim' or damage done. Now if someone's speeding and causes an accident or hurts someone, slam them. And the lawsuit will take care of slamming a rich person more.

There's growing resentment in Britain against the increasing amount of speed cameras everywhere because it's clear they're more aimed at 'revenue generation' than safety.
Old 02-13-04, 05:50 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I don't believe anyone should pay any fine for speeding. There's no 'victim' or damage done. Now if someone's speeding and causes an accident or hurts someone, slam them.

Bit, sorry to say..that's the stupidest thing i have ever you say. Speeding fines are intended to minimize the amount of speeding on the roads. If speed limits were not in place, i can't imagine how many deaths on highway would be experienced compared to what we have today.

If someone's speeding and causes and accident..i'm sorry its too late! Speeding fines are like seat belt fines...they are there to try to protect the public! (of course revenue is a nice side benefit).

If you're family got hurt or killed by a speeder on the highway, you would be OK with them getting a ticket then??? Sorry..i think that would be too late....

Your reasoning is slightly backwards here. Its ok for people to speed by school zones and run over school kids...AS LONG as they don't hit no one...they should be allowed to continue?

Last edited by LS4fun; 02-13-04 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-13-04, 09:05 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default the law

The law should be applied to everyone equally. Fining someone an exhorbinant amount of money because they have it is absurd. The penalty for breaking a law should be uniform for all people. If you can't afford the fine, don't break the law. If you can afford the fine, that's nice for you, but your arrogance will catch up with you when the DMV suspends your license. Either way, a person should not be subjected to a higher penalty because their means differ. Perhaps therein lies an opportunity for creative sentencing. A guy with bookoo bucks pays the fine or goes to tell kids how he got to where he is.
Old 02-13-04, 10:15 PM
Buttercup
Pole Position

I think a law implemented here would be good (less gas guzzling, less need for people to donate blood, etc), but it'll be too much of a hassle. The % income law doesn't mean low income people don't have to pay for tickets. A person who does charity isn't entitled to be treated relatively easier on the street.

If you want everyone to experience the same pain, put them behind bars for a day or two.
Old 02-14-04, 02:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GS4fun
[B]Bit, sorry to say..that's the stupidest thing i have ever you say. Speeding fines are intended to minimize the amount of speeding on the roads. If speed limits were not in place, i can't imagine how many deaths on highway would be experienced compared to what we have today.[/img]

Do you observe speed limits all the time? Does ANYONE all the time? Most people treat them as a warning. Many places in the country have speed limits DELIBERATELY too low for the conditions just so they can trap people and fine them.

I didn't say we should have speed limits, I just said I don't think people should be fined JUST for going too fast. 'Reckless driving' could still be used though.

I think Police should do something more useful than sitting on the highway or on a side road waiting to collect a few dollars.

If someone's speeding and causes and accident..i'm sorry its too late!
And a speed trap is not going to prevent that from happening.

Speeding fines are like seat belt fines...they are there to try to protect the public! (of course revenue is a nice side benefit).
While a seat belt could save my life is someone hit me, I do not believe my obeying the speed limit is the safest way to get around. I'm not saying I drive aggressively usually with traffic around, but heck, if the road's empty, most speed limits are absurd.

If you're family got hurt or killed by a speeder on the highway, you would be OK with them getting a ticket then??? Sorry..i think that would be too late....
Yes I would, and they'd get more than just a ticket if they hurt someone.

Your reasoning is slightly backwards here. Its ok for people to speed by school zones and run over school kids...AS LONG as they don't hit no one...they should be allowed to continue?
Someone who exceeds the posted speed limit in a school zone is a fool. Speed traps aren't going to change his or her behavior.

Quick Reply: Police give a record $216,900 speeding ticket