Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Police give a record $216,900 speeding ticket

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-04, 02:31 PM
LexFather

don't believe anyone should pay any fine for speeding. There's no 'victim' or damage done. Now if someone's speeding and causes an accident or hurts someone, slam them. And the lawsuit will take care of slamming a rich person more.
Bit for president in 04!
There's growing resentment in Britain against the increasing amount of speed cameras everywhere because it's clear they're more aimed at 'revenue generation' than safety.
Yes, I've read this. And in Washington DC. Car and Driver had a GREAT article on the cameras. ALL THEY DO IS GENERATE REVENUE. It did not reduce speeding. At intersections at traffic lights, they don't prevent accidents. If I remember correctly, accidents WENT UP with the cameras.

Traffic safety and teaching is the key. I think there should be serious discounts to this with mods to make their cars handle better, to those in cars less likely to have an accident and for those that attend all driving schools/seminars.

There was a town here in GA, they had 1 damn street in their city, they went from 2 cops to like 18 cops in 1 year and raised hundreds of thousands of revenue by giving tickets on this street. Only until the press stepped in, did the government and it was disbanded.

Old 02-14-04, 08:02 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Bit for president in 04!
ROFL.

At intersections at traffic lights, they don't prevent accidents. If I remember correctly, accidents WENT UP with the cameras.
And here's why. When people know the cameras are out there, if the light goes yellow as they get close to the intersection they're worried about getting the ticket even if they might legally be able to go through because they're not sure if they can safely stop, so rather than risk the ticket they slam on their brakes, skid maybe, and the person behind them slams in the back of them. So no ticket, just an accident. And I am not making this up, it happens.

Traffic safety and teaching is the key. I think there should be serious discounts to this with mods to make their cars handle better, to those in cars less likely to have an accident and for those that attend all driving schools/seminars.
I agree totally. Atlanta seems to have the worst combination of really dense traffic and often negligible driving 'skills'. You REALLY have to have your antennae up here to avoid accidents as people pull out of nowhere without looking, change lanes without looking or signalling, or cut you off because "it's all about them".

Now if we could just tax stupidity... oh wait, we have the lottery for that.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-14-04 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-15-04, 01:33 AM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a little excessive isnt it? I dont care how much money he has or how fast he was going, unlessit was like mach 1...
Old 02-15-04, 05:26 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna

Now if we could just tax stupidity... oh wait, we have the lottery for that.
That's a good one.
Old 02-15-04, 11:17 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i know that the president of nokia got a ticket in finland, although i think it amounted 400,000 dollars....
Old 02-15-04, 01:19 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by EGainer
i know that the president of nokia got a ticket in finland, although i think it amounted 400,000 dollars....
and i'm sure he can afford to pay it.
Old 02-15-04, 03:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS4fun
and i'm sure he can afford to pay it.
How much can YOU afford for a ticket? How much do you think YOU should pay? Being a Lexus owner (didn't you have two?), you must be 'rich' right? I'm sure someone considers you rich. So maybe you should be paying, what, $5000 for your next tax collection, I mean speeding infraction?
Old 02-15-04, 05:11 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

How much can YOU afford for a ticket? How much do you think YOU should pay? Being a Lexus owner (didn't you have two?), you must be 'rich' right? I'm sure someone considers you rich. So maybe you should be paying, what, $5000 for your next tax collection, I mean speeding infraction?
That would be fine....because i rarely ever speed.

I value my life and those of others too much to get cheap thrills by speeding.

Also i don't consider myself rich.
Old 02-17-04, 07:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by amlin423
I actually agree with GS4fun. A lot of movie stars or athletes just dont give a crap about parking in front of a fire hydrant or handicap spaces because it's "only" a 300-500 dollar ticket.

It reminds me of basketball stars who really couldn't possibly care less about a 500 dollar Technical or a 25k or 50k fine for swearing, post game interviews no shows, tardies...etc..etc..I bet it would make them think twice before they act so immaturely if the penalties were a percentage of their income.
Count me in with GS4Fun, too. I fully agree. A fine makes no sense at all if Bill Gates and the local garbageman both pay the same amount for the same offense.

Having said that, I'll say one thing about this guy who got the ticket. He would make a good racing driver.....always heading for the Finnish line. (Couldn't resist that one).
Old 02-17-04, 09:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I value my life and those of others too much to get cheap thrills by speeding.
I really don't believe the two are related. Reckless driving can certainly endanger people, but it's possible to drive recklessly at 5mph. Speed limits are often arbitrary or meaningless. NO one in Atlanta drives 55 on the highways. The average speed on the beltway around Atlanta and two major interstates running across it is probably 75. There are relatively few accidents considering how many zillions of people go on those roads each day. People aren't trying to get cheap thrills, they're just trying to get to work and back usually. So what should we do to make them all drive 55? Would you be in favor of cameras on the highway with radar and just have the system send out hundreds of thousands of tickets, perhaps even daily?

Also i don't consider myself rich.
I'm sure you don't, but I'm sure someone does. Someone who can't afford a Lexus for example.

Everyone's idea of 'rich' is always someone who is wealthier than themselves.
Old 02-17-04, 10:38 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

wow!! that's lots of money for the speeding tickects.
i think we should(in US) come up with new speeding tickects law.
i propose some laws here.
"People with income of less than 100K a year do not have to pay for the tickect, instead we will send all of your tickects to those who have an income of more than 1 million dollars a year and make them pay for your tickects. people who have income of 100K to a million will pay for the tickect as before. College students will receive 187% of regular tickect fine instead of paying whenever they caught speeding inorder to use as the educational finicial aid."
Old 02-17-04, 11:49 AM
brendanlim
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by ISinnXL
"People with income of less than 100K a year do not have to pay for the tickect, instead we will send all of your tickects to those who have an income of more than 1 million dollars a year and make them pay for your tickects. people who have income of 100K to a million will pay for the tickect as before. College students will receive 187% of regular tickect fine instead of paying whenever they caught speeding inorder to use as the educational finicial aid."
That won't work ... but I'd love to speed to pay for my college! That'd turn some current situations around. Also, bit, if you're wondering why I'm broke, read the page before this
Old 02-17-04, 05:46 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

I really don't believe the two are related. Reckless driving can certainly endanger people, but it's possible to drive recklessly at 5mph. Speed limits are often arbitrary or meaningless. NO one in Atlanta drives 55 on the highways. The average speed on the beltway around Atlanta and two major interstates running across it is probably 75. There are relatively few accidents considering how many zillions of people go on those roads each day. People aren't trying to get cheap thrills, they're just trying to get to work and back usually. So what should we do to make them all drive 55? Would you be in favor of cameras on the highway with radar and just have the system send out hundreds of thousands of tickets, perhaps even daily?

Let me clarify a little. When i mean speeding..i mean driving WAY over the speed limit. Yes, let me say i occasionally (ok often) drive over the speed limit. I guess you can say that anything over the speed limit is speeding...but i'm talking to about >25mph ...lets say 85 mph, 95 mph, 105 mph, 120 mph on highways....that's what's i find reckless...
Old 02-17-04, 05:48 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Let me clarify a little. When i mean speeding..i mean driving WAY over the speed limit. Yes, let me say i occasionally (ok often) drive over the speed limit. I guess you can say that anything over the speed limit is speeding...but i'm talking to about >25mph ...lets say 85 mph, 95 mph, 105 mph, 120 mph on highways....that's what's i find reckless...
Old 02-17-04, 06:07 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

did i read this right you consider 85mph reckless

Quick Reply: Police give a record $216,900 speeding ticket