Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My struggle with Acura and multiple transmission problems, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 07:38 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all,

Thank you all for the support and the interest you have shown thus far in my story.

Gs400998: Glad to hear you chime in on this issue, you know exactly what I'm talking about. The question is WHEN i finally get rid of this car (it's a given that it's gunna be gone soon, but my goal is to have the means of explusion be a buy-back from Acura w/ $6000.00 of my money) my next vehicle will most definitely be a Lexus, MB, or BMW. A GS430 sounds like a fabulous choice, though I require my vehicle to get me thru some sketchy winter sludge during the winter season, so I question the GS's ability to do that for me, nonetheless it's been one of my favorite cars of all time.

0I33I:

I need one more tranny to blow out to qualify for illinois lemon law... it's unfortunately different for each state, as you know.

mahrdibac:

so you know what i'm talking about too... i am not in the position to keep taking monetary hits on cars b/c of manufacturer defects.... if this were my decision to get rid of my car a year or two ago... i wouldn't have felt so bad, but i stand to lose over $14,000 if i trade in this POS.

DGOT:

I saw that movie... gene hackman, mary elizabeth masterantinio -- Class Action?

rominl:

i'm not looking to take down Honda/Acura of North America.. but I'm looking to get about $4000.00 more for my TL-S than they're willing to give me. $4000.00 x all the cars affected is not going to put them under, and not all those affected are going to chime in.

bluelex:

Honda never built a good auto tranny.. but the TYpe s trannies were particularly bad... that's unacceptable, despite their awesome heritage and reliablity track record.

DGOT:

I'm with you buddy, and trust me... i do not want to give them another penny of my money even for a required scheduled oil change.. but at this point for me in particular, i can't lose $14,000 by going to another marque just to get out of this lemon, i am at least better off getting a new TL, and then selling THAT for a little under MSRP or Edmund's true market value to recover my cash ... THEN going over to my old friend, the Lexus dealer and picking up a nice GS or LS.
Old 02-12-04, 07:59 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Peter
Thank you for your post. It certainly sounds like you might have gotten a lemon and/or something else in the car is causing the transmission failures. I am looking at the 2004 Consumer Reports buying guide and as far as I can tell, Honda/Acura transmissions are just about perfect.

Also in case you are not aware, Toyota has an engine sludge problem on their V6 engines. They claim it is due to owner neglect but just like Acura they are extending the warranty. Maybe Toyota owners with engine failures should post their stories on Acuraworld?
Old 02-12-04, 08:08 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Peter- did you think about trading your car on a preowned Lexus? If you get a less expensive car, maybe that would ease the pain a little.

I think we are all pushing to see you get out of that bad situation!!

Oh yeah Class action was the movie!
Old 02-12-04, 09:33 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by doug_999
Peter
Thank you for your post. It certainly sounds like you might have gotten a lemon and/or something else in the car is causing the transmission failures. I am looking at the 2004 Consumer Reports buying guide and as far as I can tell, Honda/Acura transmissions are just about perfect.

Also in case you are not aware, Toyota has an engine sludge problem on their V6 engines. They claim it is due to owner neglect but just like Acura they are extending the warranty. Maybe Toyota owners with engine failures should post their stories on Acuraworld?
Wow, the sarcasm was laid on a bit thick.

Potential problems w/ the tranny in Acura's can cause the car to suddenly downshift into 2nd gear at highway speeds and effectively cause the wheels to lock up.

Sorry if I offended you w/ my thread.

Once again, i need to re-iterate to those who feel I'm trying to "take down Honda," simply... that I am not. I want to make more people aware of the issue. Doug, as an advocate for your fellow Lexus owners, i'm sure you were at the forefront of informing people about the engine sludge issue. Thanks for your support!

Last edited by PeterUbers; 02-12-04 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-12-04, 09:35 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Peter- did you think about trading your car on a preowned Lexus? If you get a less expensive car, maybe that would ease the pain a little.

I think we are all pushing to see you get out of that bad situation!!

Oh yeah Class action was the movie!
DGOT,

That's a great question, and yes, I did. However, I'm in a position now where I am still trying to negotiate with Acura to get into a new car for as little money as possible. Many people have gone the route of trading in their TL's and CL's per the tranny problem and have laid the issue to rest. I'm gunna be a little more outspoken, and put up just a little more fuss.
Old 02-12-04, 10:12 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

Read these two stories, and you'll come closer to realizing why anyone would worry about driving one of these:

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/sho...ghlight=tranny

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...light=la+times

The second link is a mention of an owner losing control on the highway after his TL-S's tranny bit the dust.
Old 02-12-04, 11:03 PM
LexFather

Peter, don't mind doug, he just hates his GS.... We hope everything works out for you dude. And the TSX has an open case with the NHTSA for trannies too.

Old 02-13-04, 01:16 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

I WON!

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...6&pagenumber=3

Honda called today, accepted my offer. I'm going to be in a 2004 Acura TL no navi...
Old 02-13-04, 01:31 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats...now it's time to get into a Lexus
Old 02-13-04, 02:07 PM
LexFather

Congrats Peter, do think the cross posting had some to do with it? Your a better man than me, no way I'd drive another of their products again. Your a forgiving guy. Best of luck to you and your new TL.

Old 02-13-04, 03:22 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by PeterUbers
Wow, the sarcasm was laid on a bit thick.

Potential problems w/ the tranny in Acura's can cause the car to suddenly downshift into 2nd gear at highway speeds and effectively cause the wheels to lock up.

Sorry if I offended you w/ my thread.

Once again, i need to re-iterate to those who feel I'm trying to "take down Honda," simply... that I am not. I want to make more people aware of the issue. Doug, as an advocate for your fellow Lexus owners, i'm sure you were at the forefront of informing people about the engine sludge issue. Thanks for your support!
ahhh you read the sarcasm eh?

Seriously, you didn't offend me at all. I just don't understand:
a) Why you posted your issue here
b) Why Mike (sicklex) encouraged you to post it here

The people on this forum tend to love their Lexus vehicles (yea there are some who don't - guilty as charged) - and posts like yours just keep the "we hate Acura" flame going. I'd like to keep this a "car chat" forum and not a "bash everything that is not Lexus" forum. Just my HO.
Old 02-13-04, 04:06 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

Doug,

While I respect your opinion, I also feel that I am not bashing acura, just how they are treating this problem. For the record, I've resolved my case, and they've agreed on my terms (sort of).

Without these forums and the very valid, somewhat controversial issues people raise from time to time, I would never have had the insight/intelligence to pursue this line of resolution for my problem. I would have assumed i was the only one affected, and just bit the bullet like many non-computer literate or non internet-savvy people are doing right now.

Informing is different from bashing. I respect Honda as a company, though I feel they have made some poor choices regarding this tranny issue to protect themselves. Am I diminishing the quality of these forums, no.

Thank you for your input, nonetheless.

Old 02-13-04, 04:29 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

For the record .. the NSX is a kick *** car!
Old 02-13-04, 05:38 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Doug_999- I disagree with you, I think Peter did a great thing by posting here, and SICK did a good thing by encouraging him to do so for one simple thing: the sharing of information. Its makes us all that much wiser. Although this is a Lexus site, perhaps someone on here has been seeing 01 and 02 TL type S's pop up for great prices and was considering one as a second car, or worse yet for his wife, etc.

I also think that we can decipher the line between a bad tranny in a model or two and a crappy marque. I have not seen anyone bash on this thread thusfar!!

Peter- I'm glad Acura finally did the correct thing, to you for your persistence, enjoy your new TL they are sharp looking cars. I hope and pray you do not encounter any of your previous issues!! Now go buy a Lexus 1.18 scale model or something!! LOL
Old 02-13-04, 06:59 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by PeterUbers
I WON!

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...6&pagenumber=3

Honda called today, accepted my offer. I'm going to be in a 2004 Acura TL no navi...
Congrats. I hope Honda isn't going to sell your TL to a new owner.

Quick Reply: My struggle with Acura and multiple transmission problems, please read.