Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

My struggle with Acura and multiple transmission problems, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 06:41 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My struggle with Acura and multiple transmission problems, please read.

Thanks to 1sicklex, I've decided to inform as many people as I can about the current transmission problems Acura TL's and CL are experiencing. I will even go so far as to say that previous gen. models of the accords have also experienced more than normal amounts of tranny failures, but I can only attest for my knowledge about Acura's.

I'm currently on my third transmission, and I have only 37,000 miles on the ODO. If you're not aware, the TL Type S and The CL Type S has been plagued by these tranmission problems since the inception of the Type S badge in '01 for the CL. The 2002 TL-S was particularly burdened by many many failures. Acura has chosen to respond to this by extending the warranty on the transmission only from 4yr/50k to 7yr/100k from date of new purchase.

My tranny failures have left me stranded both times in the middle of the night on the highway or in very bad parts of the city of chicago. Both times I feared for my life and my passengers' lives. Luckily, nothing bad has ever happened, and I pray nothing bad will happen with my current tranny which is experiencing some funny symptoms as of late.

Here is my story, I'm a former ES300 owner, a car that was problem free from day 1. And i beat that car into the ground and it continued to take it. I wish I would have purchased a Lexus ES300 in '01 rather than this god awful piece of machinery .. or excuse for machinery, the Acura TL Type S.

I would LOVE for you to give me your input on this situation.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=68286

another link to remind everyone how prevalent the problems really are:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=126

Thanks for your interest.
Old 02-11-04, 07:18 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Peter, thank you very much for your honesty, its not easy to come into an open forum and post an issue about the car you own.

I researched these awhile back and these tranny problems really surprised me. I had a 95 Accord that ran like a top for the 45k miles I put on it, and the 30k miles that my lil bro put on it after that!! (bought it wilth 40k too!! LOL)

I like Acura cars, the Legend Coupe being my fav, and the new TL has been catching my eye lately, I hope they have remedied these gremlins!!

Good luck man
Old 02-11-04, 07:47 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

DGOT,

Thanks for your support. I think the new TL looks to be a fabulous vehicle, and if they truly did remedy those gremlins, I think it's a great buy in the FWD market. However, I'm soured by Acura quality, probably for the remainder of my car buying days! I'll gladly look to Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes when I'm ready to antee-up again and purchase another sedan.

For the record, I am not bashing Acura, nor am I bashing TL-S and CL-S owners that do not have feelings consistent w/ mine regarding the tranny issues. I'm using the power of the internet to inform would-be buyers of Acura TL's and CL's to make a wiser choice based on their knowledge of the tranny problems.
Old 02-11-04, 07:55 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Hey man, you are more than welcome to join the Lexus fold!! We'd be glad to have ya!! LOL
Old 02-11-04, 08:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

peter, i agree, we need to voice out. i really hate the fact that honda doesn't seem to TRY to admit the problem let alone trying to fix it. that's why i sold my tl-s without a second thought. last thing i would want to see is me or my wife in an accident which honda claims as normal

i just can't believe the problem is only 2% imho
Old 02-11-04, 09:06 PM
PeterUbers
Driver School Candidate

The problem has to be much more than 2% ...

By whatever tactic, Acura has found a way to make the right people believe it's only 2%. This simply cannot be the case when you note the extreme prevalence of tranny failures documented both online, and by anecdotal testimonies of both owners AND dealership personnel.

I am very ready and willing to sell my TL-S and get another car... money is not the issue. The issue is principle this time, and I'm not willing to back down until I see something worthwhile by way of change come about.

I am the sole driver of my TL-S, and I refuse to put another member of my family or a friend behind its wheel. Therefore I take my own chances driving this car.

All I am asking for is top street value for my car ($23,000) and the '04 TL at invoice, $29,600, plus a couple thousand for my time dealing w/ two tranny replacements. Acura refuses this, and wants me to pay them $11,000 plus my used TL-S to get into a new TL. I told them I could just sell my car on the street and put that same money into another car. .. what are they doing for me? Nothing.
Old 02-12-04, 08:21 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My sympathies, Peter. Even IF the failure rate is only 2%, that's a HUGE number of vehicles and an unacceptable number for modern manufacturing!!!!! I'm stunned!!!

And this from a mfgr that was basically bulletproof back in the day when I was driving Hondas and recommmending them to anyone who'd listen..............appalling. You'd think they would have learned a lesson from the Audi example...............
Old 02-12-04, 08:27 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by PeterUbers
All I am asking for is top street value for my car ($23,000) and the '04 TL at invoice, $29,600, plus a couple thousand for my time dealing w/ two tranny replacements. Acura refuses this, and wants me to pay them $11,000 plus my used TL-S to get into a new TL. I told them I could just sell my car on the street and put that same money into another car. .. what are they doing for me? Nothing.
I have to be totally honest, after 2 tranny replacements, I would not want to give a marque my business!! They are not doing anything to compensate you for your loss of time, safety, etc etc.

may I suggest a trip to your local Lexus dealership? if not, those Infiniti people have a certain coupe thats nice as well!!

Flat out, Acura does not deserve your money!!!
Old 02-12-04, 08:59 AM
Technics
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, I'm very surprised to hear this, especially from Honda/Acura. I'm glad you've decided to share your experience though. As others have said its probably best to get rid of this particular car. My old Accord had 156k on it with the original tranny and it never skipped a beat.

Hopefully Acura can resolve these gremlins with the TL, once that's fixed they need to convert it to a RWD platform. The technology is there, maybe too much. Just needs some refinement.
Old 02-12-04, 09:02 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

like rom said the fact that a billion dollar company won't admit they have a slight problem that could impact people's lives is very disheartning...i liked my honda prelude and had 3 honda 4 that one and never had a problem with any of them bt these newer acura's seem 2 have something noone can fugure out.. i guess honda doesn't make them like they used 2...yet they sell like hot cakes and always will so guess thats why they don't care by the way the new TL is awesome looking...
Old 02-12-04, 09:31 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well i have a feeling that honda doesn't want to admit the problem (if there is one, which is very likely imho) because this can severely damage the company's financial situation. in case you guys don't know, the same tranny is used in

tl, tl-s, cl, cl-s, mdx, prev gen accord

if you look at just how many of these cars honda sold, and they have to do a full recall (honda already said before the tranny issue isn't on a certain batch or vin, it's random i believe), how much it's going to cost. i say it will cost more than what it did with the recall nissan/infiniti just issued not too long ago.

heck, do you see how many accords there are on the street?
Old 02-12-04, 09:36 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by rominl
if you look at just how many of these cars honda sold, and they have to do a full recall (honda already said before the tranny issue isn't on a certain batch or vin, it's random i believe), how much it's going to cost?
This reminds me a movie I saw a long time ago. This lawyer uncovered the fact that there was a lifethreatening defect in a car, and when he dug deeper, he found that the company never issued a recall because it was cheaper to just pay all the potential lawsuits than to repair each vehicle!

Not that this situation is the same, but I'm sure its cheaper for Honda to repair the trannys that come in (think how many people are out of warranty, or dont know its a defect and fix it on their own!!)

Funny thing is, I dont hear many MDX or CL, etc tranny failure stories!! If anything, with its greather weight, and more complex drivetrain, I'd figure the MDX would be a greater candidate for failures!
Old 02-12-04, 02:48 PM
KevsGS
Driver

i had owned a 2001TL. it was my first new car. i loved it......until about 24k miles... the tranny was done. i was still under warranty however and it was replaced at no charge. the ride was never the same. when the mechanic took me for a ride in it after he had replaced the tranny he had told me that he could foresee a lot more problems with the S type. well even though mine was not an S it still worried me a little that this may/could happen again to a "new" car. so i thought about selling. hunted down a gs400 and never looked back. i may have lost a little (a lot) in the trade but my mind is at easy now. i do have to say though....the TL looked sweet all hooked up!
Old 02-12-04, 04:23 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

2 words: lemon laws.

In california if something breaks 4 times within the warranty period then the dealership has to buy your car back.
Old 02-12-04, 04:31 PM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

PeterUbers,
Sorry to hear that the A/T failed so many times in your Type-S. I have a 02 Type-S so is faimilar about these A/T failures reported at TL Forum. If you decide to change to another manufacture, why not consider the GS4.

Quick Reply: My struggle with Acura and multiple transmission problems, please read.