Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Crown - Is that the LS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-04, 01:58 PM
eblue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota Crown was the top (second to Centrury?) of the line then and geared towards the domestic (Japan) market and most of Asia where roads and parking lots were/are narrower than America's. This was the evolution of the model line post war Japan. They never took off in Europe mainly because they were not small enough-and more importantly not sporty enough.

My guess is the LEXUS was a reaction to the fantastic success of the ACURA division of Honda in the United States aside from the S-Class of MB; and that the LS was really a take off from the large car specs of the then American big car colossus- CADILLAC. Large dimensions; soft ride and luxury pretensions. As an experiment in 1989, Toyota was not sure that Lexus would be a success- all they know is they had to sell more big premium cars in the US.Litlle did they know that their cars have shaken up the whole car world.

So I'm not quite sure how the Celsior brand has watered down the Crown in tems of stature. But it seems like that they've realized the market truly accepts the Lexus brand and is strong enough to relegate the Crown as a Toyota and uplift the Celsior further as the Lexus (soon)
Old 02-17-04, 04:47 PM
panos
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My uncle in Europe since has a 1972 Toyota Crown. It is as small as a 1980s Corolla and has a 1.6 liter engine, solid rear axle, decent looking original paint, etc. Still tools around in it, but he has a 2 liter Toyota Avensis for "real" trips.

Last edited by panos; 02-17-04 at 04:48 PM.
Old 02-17-04, 05:55 PM
Shaffer
Pole Position

Thats strange. I remember the USA Toyota Crowns of the early 1970s being about the size of a 92-96 Toyota Camry. Not really a small car. Perhaps the cars in Europe were different?

Originally posted by panos
My uncle in Europe since has a 1972 Toyota Crown. It is as small as a 1980s Corolla and has a 1.6 liter engine, solid rear axle, decent looking original paint, etc. Still tools around in it, but he has a 2 liter Toyota Avensis for "real" trips.
Old 02-17-04, 10:13 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
[B]I had an earlier post about this topic, and have extensively studied both cars. If you do some good research, you will find out that the Crown has both a smaller wheelbase and a smaller size all around than the LS430. /B]
Thats only on the Newer model.............
Old 02-17-04, 10:20 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by eblue
Toyota Crown was the top (second to Centrury?) of the line then and geared towards the domestic (Japan) market and most of Asia where roads and parking lots were/are narrower than America's. This was the evolution of the model line post war Japan. They never took off in Europe mainly because they were not small enough-and more importantly not sporty enough.
The older ones before 1989 were smaller......... since then the cars are not small. Im so glad the cars did not stay small........ I hated that look.
Old 02-18-04, 09:38 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Yeah, it'd be like comparing an ES250 to an ES330. You guys remember that thing? It was a "Lexus" too.
Old 02-19-04, 10:22 AM
Lvangundy

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All.../01/index.html

A little timeline from Toyota about the Crown.

Old 02-20-04, 11:57 AM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

The redisigned Crown probably is the 06 GS.
No alloy suspension components though
Old 02-20-04, 07:55 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

The new crown is not the new GS. The new GS will be synonymous with the new Aristo(Toyota's corresponding model). There are tons of posts about it as it was shown at the Detroit Auto Show. Just do a search for it. . .
Old 02-20-04, 11:27 PM
{-.-}
Lexus Champion

My Favorite crown
Attached Thumbnails Toyota Crown - Is that the LS?-majesta1516.jpg  
Old 02-21-04, 09:57 PM
Sal Collaziano
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a quick look at the next GS, look at the images on top of this site: http://www.lexusinsidenews.com

Originally posted by LexusLuver
I know the former GS is based on the Artisto platform sold in Japan, but never read anything from NAIAS about what the platform will serve as the next GS. I have also noticed near identical proportions w/the 06 GS and Crown, thats why I say it could be based on the Crown
Old 02-22-04, 09:19 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

All lexus's share some components, some more than others. But follow that link and you can see actual pics of the actual upcoming GS. . . actually actual.
Old 02-22-04, 10:16 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by dj.ctwatt
All lexus's share some components, some more than others. But follow that link and you can see actual pics of the actual upcoming GS. . . actually actual.
In addition...

The forthcoming GS will be known as the Lexus GS in Japan, since Toyota is going to open domestic Lexus dealerships there. Thus, the Aristo nameplate's days are numbered.