Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How reliable r M5s???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 09:35 PM
fireballs gs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking m5..

my friend has a m5...
a m5 was made to give hel
he gives it hel
you more than likely won't find one that has not seen a rough time
he has been through a few clutches
seen one the other day 35k...69k miles..not too bad...
but....i would hate to see a regular service bill for that thing.
My friend has a 1998 gs400 as well...
guess which one he likes better
Old 02-20-04, 02:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Wow, there's expensive and then there's THAT!!!! Makes JP tails seem like a bargain in comparison eh?
oh yeah you bet. just look at the mods for the e46 m3. i thought about getting that car, but the prices for mods are just insane. the AC strut bar is like 800 bucks, the AC front lip (just a lip) is like 1200? i forgot the price for the rear exhaust diffusor, but it's not pretty too
Old 02-20-04, 05:52 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Damn this thread has me M5 FIENDING again!! God I love these cars!!!!

C'mon let us all DROOL together!!

Old 02-21-04, 06:04 AM
flat6
Driver School Candidate

Awe man...an M5 isn't a fun car...this is a fun car. Grin. And dead reliable to boot. I've got 85K on mine and she's just hummin'

sean
Attached Thumbnails How reliable r M5s???-p-car.jpg  
Old 02-21-04, 10:49 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are not bad looking BMW's.
However, I feel more at home in my Lexus.
Old 02-21-04, 11:12 AM
GS400kid
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by flat6
Awe man...an M5 isn't a fun car...this is a fun car. Grin. And dead reliable to boot. I've got 85K on mine and she's just hummin'

sean
sorry is this a Carerra????i dont know much about porsche
right now i can get one if this body style Carerra sthg...AWD??? its 98 with less than 25k miles whole thing looks new, and i can get it for 28k hehe, since its red i dont know if i want it
Old 02-21-04, 06:00 PM
flat6
Driver School Candidate

GS400kid,

This is a 2 wheel drive Carrera. The best place for information on Porsches, and the '95-'98 body style (commonly known as the 993) are the forums at www.rennlist.com. The 4 wheel drive versions are called Carrera 4's and there's a wide-body version, called the Carrera S, Carrera 4S that was made from '96-'98, though they command a premium.

Most decent 993s are priced in the 30s, I'd be wary of one thats less than that, esspecially if the ask is sub-30.

The 993 is the most intoxicating car car in the world, particularly with the Euro suspension, an RS clutch & flywheel, and a chip from Rennsport systems in Portland, OR. (mine has all of these "mods").

Good luck in the search, let me know if you would like more help.

sean
Old 02-23-04, 12:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by Gekko
If you want reliability, get a Lexus or you will regret it.
Generally true but Infiniti and Acura products are also up there in Lexus' reliability range.
Some Acura TL transmissions, hovever, have been failing.

Stay AWAY from Mercedes, BMW, and the Cadillac Catera/CTS if you want reliability.
Old 02-28-04, 04:05 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

just get a 540i 6 speed most bang for your buck if you get a later one like 98-2000 your price range would be apx. 15-25,000. my brother had a 540 auto those suckas haul. we had 4 bmw's 97+ each one after 100,000+ miles the cooling system would need work couple hundered dollars and then thats it nothing to crazy. but the m5's are known for having a very restrictive exhaust. if you change the exhaust you could easily pump 400+ hp's in that baby. my uncle got a red conv. 03' m3 SMG 0-60 in the 4's so fast!! my brother now has a clk hes selling it to get either a m5,745,x5 or escalade(baby comin').

-abboushi
Old 02-28-04, 04:06 PM
abboushi
Lexus Test Driver

oh and FLAT6 your porsche is very sexy!! very very sexy!
Old 02-28-04, 07:26 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

I am not certain as to what problems an M5 would have. But After owning a 530 and having multiple issues, I then got rid of it for an E320. After multiple issues with my E320, I now own a GS300. I will see what happens from here. I am a huge German car enthusiast, but they are putting out too many shoddy products. And for this amount of money, I have very little tolerance for problems. Only other german auto that I will purchase will be a Porsche. Porsche puts ALOT in there autos and they seem to be much more reliable.

Last edited by iloveGS300; 02-28-04 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-28-04, 07:34 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

the lip on the rear wheels of this car looks like its 6inches or so.....
Old 02-29-04, 09:55 AM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Originally posted by rominl
oh yeah you bet. just look at the mods for the e46 m3. i thought about getting that car, but the prices for mods are just insane. the AC strut bar is like 800 bucks, the AC front lip (just a lip) is like 1200? i forgot the price for the rear exhaust diffusor, but it's not pretty too
Yeah, but this is mostly true if you insist on having AC-Schnitzer or Hamann mods. AC-Schnitzer is the most expensive of them all though. What is nice about AC-S is that they manufacturer the most quality parts that I have seen from any after-market manufacturer. They absolutly, under no circumstances use fiberglass for their exterior mods (like bumpers, lip spoilers, roof spoilers, side skirts, etc..). Instead of fiberglass, they use ABS plastic and there is a clear visible and physical difference. ABS is far more durable and can withstand a far greater amount of stress under pressure than fiberglass. It is truly quality stuff. That's what BMW uses also for its front and rear bumpers.

My point is, you are going to pay a lot of money in mods for a BMW if you insist on going with AC-S or Hamann. These are the premiere after-market vendors for BMW. In fact, AC-S is to BMW what AMG is to MB. Hamann, on the other hand, is pretty much just namebrand. They charge priemium prices for their mods because they've established a good name, but all of their stuff is that cheep fiberglass stuff.

I decided to go the AC-Schnitzer route for a few things on my Bimmer and yes they are almost painfully expensive, but I will also say, for the quality product that extends beyond just look and feel, it was well worth it. I got the following AC-S products:

ACS full carbon fiber interior trim (approx $1300)
ACS carbon fiber/leather shifter (approx $200)
ACS pedals (approx $200 without dead pedal)
ACS sports side view mirrors with memory (approx $650)

So admittedly it's real expensive stuff, but when you look around the interior and have your hand on that shifter, it all just screams quality and therefore, for me, it's very much worth it.
Old 02-29-04, 10:03 AM
MSBoy
Lead Lap

Guess I should have mentioned in my last post that the other popular BMW aftermarket vendors are not as expensive as ACS and Hamann, but they are probably more expensive than the Lexus aftermarket vendors. What sux about that is they are not of the same quality as ACS but still they are high-priced.

Henry, I forgot what the ACS //M3 CF diffuser goes for, but it is super expensive... but look at the quality of the cf and the craftmanship of the unit and IMHO, it looks like it's worth even more than what they're asking.

Last edited by MSBoy; 02-29-04 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-01-04, 12:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by MSBoy
Yeah, but this is mostly true if you insist on having AC-Schnitzer or Hamann mods. AC-Schnitzer is the most expensive of them all though. What is nice about AC-S is that they manufacturer the most quality parts that I have seen from any after-market manufacturer. They absolutly, under no circumstances use fiberglass for their exterior mods (like bumpers, lip spoilers, roof spoilers, side skirts, etc..). Instead of fiberglass, they use ABS plastic and there is a clear visible and physical difference. ABS is far more durable and can withstand a far greater amount of stress under pressure than fiberglass. It is truly quality stuff. That's what BMW uses also for its front and rear bumpers.

My point is, you are going to pay a lot of money in mods for a BMW if you insist on going with AC-S or Hamann. These are the premiere after-market vendors for BMW. In fact, AC-S is to BMW what AMG is to MB. Hamann, on the other hand, is pretty much just namebrand. They charge priemium prices for their mods because they've established a good name, but all of their stuff is that cheep fiberglass stuff.

I decided to go the AC-Schnitzer route for a few things on my Bimmer and yes they are almost painfully expensive, but I will also say, for the quality product that extends beyond just look and feel, it was well worth it. I got the following AC-S products:

ACS full carbon fiber interior trim (approx $1300)
ACS carbon fiber/leather shifter (approx $200)
ACS pedals (approx $200 without dead pedal)
ACS sports side view mirrors with memory (approx $650)

So admittedly it's real expensive stuff, but when you look around the interior and have your hand on that shifter, it all just screams quality and therefore, for me, it's very much worth it.
tell me about it ron. you know me, you know i put the best on my car. i really like AC stuff so man if one day i get a bimmer, i can only imagine myself start stealing money to mod my car, haha

Quick Reply: How reliable r M5s???