Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler 300C Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-04, 12:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Chrysler 300C Hemi

Anybody have a chance yet to drive the new rear-drive Chrysler 300C with the 345HP Hemi? This car may compete with the next GS430. Of course, Chrysler's build quality traditionally is a long way from that of a Lexus. I've seen this car in shows and magazines but have not actually gotten behind the wheel yet. Here in the East we usually lag a little behind California in getting new models, so maybe you guys on the West Coast have had a chance to try it out.
Old 02-24-04, 04:18 PM
thisguy_06
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

i wasn't even aware of it being out yet, interesting car. I'd like to see somebody thoughts on the car too.
Old 02-24-04, 04:53 PM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget that the Chrysler/Dodge/Eagle/Jeep group all belong to Mercedez(Daimler). It is Daimler-Chrysler now, and many of the new models share Merecedez components, not that they are that great in the first place. The new Pacifica gets many of it's parts from the ML, as well as the new Crossfire(which is an SLK beat with an ugly stick). . . well it's not that bad. But the 300C has great potential, having sourced its parts from the E class. A word of caution tho, this being ClubLEXUS and all. My family almost acquired a CLK430, but upon closer inspection of the car we noticed strange quality lapses. The chrome trim piece on the rear was slightly crooked, and when I played with it, the piece fell off!!!! This has happened frequently with different trim pieces and exterior parts on many different models we have investigated. Perhaps it was just our unlucky experience. . . sort of off topic. . . so anyway be careful of MB quality as well as Chrysler. Before MB took over, many parts were(and still are?) sourced from Mitsubishi, in which they have part ownership. I remember a Caravan we had many many years ago had many issues with the engine, as did my uncle with his. Once his sliding door fell off when it was opened too quickly on a hill!!! So their quality has been. . . dodgy. . . in my opinion. The newer Chrysler's, however, look very tempting. Very, very, tempting.
Old 02-25-04, 07:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, it is no secret that M-B quality has taken a nose dive, especially over the last 5 years. The poor quality control that was first evident when the ML-class debuted in the late 90's has now spread pretty much through the M-B line. Strangely, though, at the same time, Dodge-Chrysler quality in general has improved. The Neon is still sub-par as reliability goes, but many other Chrysler products that were formerly below average are now better than average in reliability, according to Consumer Reports and J.D. Power.
The 300C's reliability, of course, is unknown, but it is a really classy car....and finally it has the rear-drive, full-size, and V8 of the original. No doubt it will be a temptation to some Lexus drivers. It does more justice to the original 300 of the '50's and '60's than this year's GTO does to the original GTO's.
Old 02-25-04, 07:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I should also add that even though Dodge-Chrysler products are somewhat better now than in the past they are still several steps below Lexus quality-wise.
Old 02-25-04, 08:59 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Yes, it is no secret that M-B quality has taken a nose dive, especially over the last 5 years. The poor quality control that was first evident when the ML-class debuted in the late 90's has now spread pretty much through the M-B line. Strangely, though, at the same time, Dodge-Chrysler quality in general has improved. The Neon is still sub-par as reliability goes, but many other Chrysler products that were formerly below average are now better than average in reliability, according to Consumer Reports and J.D. Power.
The 300C's reliability, of course, is unknown, but it is a really classy car....and finally it has the rear-drive, full-size, and V8 of the original. No doubt it will be a temptation to some Lexus drivers. It does more justice to the original 300 of the '50's and '60's than this year's GTO does to the original GTO's.
You mean the RWD Grand Prix right?
Old 02-25-04, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Bean
You mean the RWD Grand Prix right?
Well, yes and no....the new Goat does look more or less like a Grand Prix, from the grille back to the windshield, and it is in the same general price range as the Grand Prix GTP Competition Group. But the Grand Prix is a wholly domestic Pontiac design, with a front-drive 3.8L V6.....supercharged in some versions. The GTO is a reworked Australian-GM Holden Monaro with a MUCH larger engine than ANY Grand Prix.....essentially a Corvette 5.7L V8 detuned very slightly from 350 to 345 HP.
If GM will build enough of them......(and that so far doesn't look very promising)........the GTO could put the supercharged Grand Prix right out of buisness.
Old 02-25-04, 10:33 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Well I've at least seen the car in person at the autoshow. IMHO - it is one ugly car. Makes the new Audi front grills look REALLY good. I swear I have not seen an uglier front end on a car - ever.
Old 02-25-04, 11:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
Well I've at least seen the car in person at the autoshow. IMHO - it is one ugly car. Makes the new Audi front grills look REALLY good. I swear I have not seen an uglier front end on a car - ever.
Never seen an uglier front end? Check out the BMW Isetta, the Messerschmitt KR200, the Citroen DS/ID 19, the 1995-1999 Taurus, or the Pontiac Aztek.....you'll change your mind REAL fast.
Old 02-25-04, 11:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

And let's get back to topic here....the 300C. We can start another thread if we want to discuss other vehicles.
Old 02-25-04, 12:25 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking @ other conceptual vehicles, imo gm sure thinks and talks a lot.
Old 02-25-04, 07:34 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by mmarshall
Never seen an uglier front end? Check out the BMW Isetta, the Messerschmitt KR200, the Citroen DS/ID 19, the 1995-1999 Taurus, or the Pontiac Aztek.....you'll change your mind REAL fast.
Trust me, I've seen all of those - and they don't compare to the 300C.
Old 02-26-04, 03:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by doug_999
Trust me, I've seen all of those - and they don't compare to the 300C.
Well, I guess vehicle looks are a personal matter........I agree, though, that the 300C is better looking than the new Goat. I'd like to see them do 3 different versions of the car myself if they really want to bring back the car's 1960's nameplates ....a 300C for the sport-sedan / high-performance crowd, a luxury New Yorker for the older easy-riding crowd, and an entry-level Newport which would give you the same basic car but keep the cost down.