Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I drove a supercharged Jaguar today (my thoughts)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-04 | 09:54 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Default I drove a supercharged Jaguar today (my thoughts)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2461810851

that one. not the very car ,just identical in every way. Black on black, supercharged '03 s-type.

I am so saddened by the reliability of these cars, because they are great to sit in and ride around in. I was pleasantly surprised by the peppy supercharged 400 horsepower V-8, the creature comforts were all there, the design was beautiful to be sitting inside of in real life. The car was a stunner for sure. However i did have a few complaints.....

The GM green indicators all over the dash for the radio, climate and dash were less than desireable. The trunk space is a bit on the slim side. A bag of clubs and a small cooler is all you can manage to stuff in there. My final complaint is the black cloud that follows Jags on their reputation of reliability.

Back to the good stuff. I romped it to see what it had and it reminded me of my SC in a strait line drag, though faster by a bit, as my SC is an early model. Not too indifferent in the twisties, however a bit more sloppy and boaty compared to the SC. Overall i fell deeply in love with the car while i was inside of it, and as i walked around it, however once i was away from it, the above complaints set i and never looked back. I do miss the interior though. It was very sweet. Jag has always had a great interior.
Old 02-26-04 | 06:03 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Agree with what you said. I' ve test driven the V8, but not the supercharged version.
I would love to drive one for a weekend getaway, but probably not a great car to own.

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-27-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-26-04 | 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Jag reliability, while still not up to Lexus-Infiniti standards, is much better than it used to be (say, 10 years ago).....one of the benefits of having Ford take over the management. The plant in Coventry was extensively modernized and upgraded, yet today's Jags still retain much of the old-world interior that made them famous. The X-class, though, is somewhat of a disappointment ....it has the benefits of AWD, but the Ford Mondeo platform has obvuiosly cheapened it some.

I agree with you, though.....the S-class is NICE, and, dollar-for-dollar, is the best line that Jag makes.
But I'm not sure I agree, though, that the supercharged version is worth the extra dough over the standard versions.......you do get more power and a different suspension, but for a WHOLE LOT more money.
Old 02-26-04 | 06:35 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

While I agree that Lexus does have a slightly better interior and better reliability, Jag has come a very long way from where they were.
My family has owned 3 Jaguars in the past, Currently we own a 99 Jaguar XJR. Beautiful car with a wonderful sounding and powerful supercharged engine.
I love to take that thing out and romp on it. The previous Jaguars which we have owned were a 1970's XJ6 with a dropped in ford V8 smallblock, and then a
1991 XJ6. Both beautful cars but had some extreme maintanence problems. The Older jaguar had engine trouble so we swapped in a for 350 SB and the newer XJ6 was always in the shop
for Computer problems. It was one of the first cars that came with a computer that told you when you were almost out of wiper fluid or something, very problemsome.

Compared to the previous Jag's my family has owned, the XJR has never let us down. It has been in the shop once because the computer messed up, which they fixed under warranty.
Other than that, the car is fast, reliable and comfy. I would rate the reliability of the newer Jags made by ford as 5000x better than the older ones.

If you are looking at getting a supercharged jaguar, look into the XJR's. they are a beautiful car, with some of the best looking stock wheels.

I'll post a pic of it when I snap some new pictures of my car with my new suspension drop.
Old 02-27-04 | 04:21 PM
Murph
Pole Position

I've talked to a few Jaguar owners and they all say the XJR is the epitome of the big cat...fast , ferocious and eats everything in its' path. i have my eye on this one. They don't seem to hold their value so they are around for low dough. 0 - 60 in 5. something

I'm thinking... http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...lor=&cardist=9

Spring fever you know

Murph
Old 02-27-04 | 05:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

the seats on that xjs look just like a lexus inside
Old 02-27-04 | 05:52 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Ahh memories. I had a black 01 S-type 3.0 for about a year, I loved the car but it just wasn't me. My IS is all me. See the diff? My mother bought the car from me so it's still in the fam, she loves it and hasn't had a problem with it. Knock-on-wood.

MY biggest complaint was the brakes. I had to replace them once, and my mother has had to replace them too. For 3 years brakes twice?? I dunno maybe I am weighing too much on it. But its a very nice car, and even without the sport suspension it handles fine for a big luxury car IMO. The steering in the thing is like effortless but very responsive. I don't think that if anyone were to buy one that they would be making a mistake.

Here is a pic of it with my car (before all the mods) and my sis's car.
Attached Thumbnails I drove a supercharged Jaguar today (my thoughts)-jag-bimmer-lex-008.jpg  
Old 02-27-04 | 06:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

nice driveway (speaking of the cars of course)

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-27-04 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-27-04 | 06:50 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by O. L. T.
nice driveway (speaking of the cars of course)
Why thank you, thank you very much. lol It is straight A T L cribs over here!
Old 02-27-04 | 07:17 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

I figure i could keep the Lex, and one of the E36's and buy the Jag, i might get some of that cribbage action goin' on but they are mine.. all mine... mine i tell ya. (and that's what i'd say if anyone tried to touch them).
Old 02-28-04 | 11:05 AM
southernsc
Lexus Champion

im not a fan of jags, i got a s-type 3.0 in the family, its my stepmoms car, it always brakes down or has a hundred minor problems happening to it all the time. also the seats feel like wood, but very nice suspension
Old 02-28-04 | 11:19 AM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by O. L. T.
I figure i could keep the Lex, and one of the E36's and buy the Jag, i might get some of that cribbage action goin' on but they are mine.. all mine... mine i tell ya. (and that's what i'd say if anyone tried to touch them).
LOL too funny! You'd have O.L.T. Cribs going on.