Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

OMG OMG...Toyota reveals the hybrid supercar at the Geneva show!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-04, 06:30 PM
LexFather

There’s a revolution underway at Toyota, borne of a single purpose: to make Toyota’s line-up more attractive to more people in more countries around the world. Autocar can exclusively reveal that this revolution will be crowned by the launch a flagship supercar, which will look like this.

Codenamed TXS, the new V10-powered supercar is being developed in Japan and is a clear signal that Toyota is readying itself for a major shift in philosophy on its performance cars.

This is no pie-in-the-sky project like the Toyota-badged, but Italdesign-Giugiaro penned, hybrid MTRC concept car revealed at this week’s Geneva Motor Show and first shown in our news pages last week.

Instead, this is a proper Toyota-developed machine, a striking rear-wheel-drive mid-engined supercar in the classic mould. Autocar’s sources say the TXS has already been granted provisional production car status to take on rivals like the Honda NSX and Nissan Skyline, as well as the Lamborghini Gallardo and Ferrari 360 Modena. Toyota bosses are waiting for the F1 programme to provide success before commencing production.

Details about the new two-seater remain scarce, but it’s likely to receive a new, naturally aspirated V10 engine from the company’s production car division. Using the same cylinder bore spacing as the 4.3-litre V8 used in the Lexus LS430, the modular alloy-block unit displaces 5.4 litres and is thought to run the VVT-i variable valve timing system used on a variety of Toyota engines to allow a redline over 8000rpm. Given Toyota’s reputation for delivering engines with high specific outputs, it’s entirely probable the TXS will end up with a Lamborghini Gallardo-challenging 500bhp.

This would make it the most powerful roadgoing Toyota ever and, along with an estimated 370lb ft of torque from the new V10, help provide the basis for similar levels of performance to Sant’Agata’s mid-engined star. With a weight of ‘under 1350kg’ (under 3000 lbs.) and a manual six-speed ’box, expect spectacular performance – as in 0-60mph in sub-4.0sec and a 190mph-plus top speed.

Good news for British enthusiasts is that the Toyota supercar’s Japanese origins mean right-hand drive production is assured. Obviously, it is too early to talk prices, but, unlike most Toyota models, affordability won’t be among the TXS’s strong points. Predictions range anywhere from £70,000 all the way up to £120,000. ($127,450 to $218,486. Bear in mind, however, that cars tend to be much more expensive in Great Britain than they are here in North America.)

Old 03-04-04, 06:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts
Wink

REPOST !!
Old 03-05-04, 03:54 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to post one more pic that shows the "content" of the car.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 03-05-04 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-06-04, 12:39 PM
Skulinex
Lexus Test Driver

Coolie, hey thats the same house that designed the first gen GS300 GS 300
Old 03-07-04, 09:03 AM
ForNgoods
Lead Lap

This same thread appeared in the s2ki.com forum and it seems the popular opinion over there was this car was fugly.... i love the look myself but find it so suprising so many ppl. over here like the look and so many over there hate it. To every man his own i guess...

Khang
Old 03-07-04, 10:16 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I wonder if this will lead to a production car.

that's what I'm thinking too.
Old 03-08-04, 08:27 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

This concept really caught my attention when I first saw it. They just need to get rid of the three-across seating. This is not one one of those huge trucks they race in DAKAR.

It seems Toyota is getting more serious about performance, with rumors of an in-house Lexus tuner and the upcoming Corolla XRS, the first "performance" Corolla since the RWDs of the '80s. Not to mention TRD will soon have an S/C for just about every engine in the Toyota lineup.

Toyota is just waiting until they win some F1 races (disappointing start to '04 this weekend, I might add...they need to get it together...they're running out of excuses faster than they're qualifying) to start bringing performance models to market.

Once Toyota sees some measure of success in F1, I think we'll see the follow-up to the Supra/rumored Toyota supercar out not long thereafter.
Old 03-11-04, 12:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,377 Posts

Brick,

This is the LS forum.... posts about non_LS car stuff belong in car chat. Moving your post there .

I think there is also already a thread on this topic... if I find it I'll merge yours with it.
Old 08-23-04, 01:53 AM
LexFather

Old 08-23-04, 02:58 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

OH OH OH!!
Must be the truck for the Concours D'Elegance show.
Great find, Sick!! Drroooolllingg....~~~~
Old 08-23-04, 04:47 AM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nice camera phone shot
Old 08-23-04, 09:35 AM
talgrl626
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, coool! i'm sure that brought a lot of attention..
Old 08-23-04, 12:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

Details about the new two-seater remain scarce, but it’s likely to receive a new, naturally aspirated V10 engine from the company’s production car division.
Look at the silver one in the picture with the door open next to the red one....it looks to me like there are three side-by-side deep-bucket seats in it, not two.
Old 08-23-04, 12:45 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by mmarshall
Look at the silver one in the picture with the door open next to the red one....it looks to me like there are three side-by-side deep-bucket seats in it, not two.
No speculation needed. I think you may have missed the AutoSpies pic taken at the Concours D'Elegance show.

Old 08-23-04, 12:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yeah...you're right.....but it was hard to tell from some angles. That center "seat" is just a hollow between arm rests.

Quick Reply: OMG OMG...Toyota reveals the hybrid supercar at the Geneva show!!!!