Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Atlanta International Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-04, 10:18 AM
ATL_GS400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Atlanta International Car Show

The International car show is coming to the ATL. March 10-14 Maybe we can get a look at the New GS?

http://www.accessatlanta.com/events/...nts/index.html
Old 03-09-04, 12:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Re: Atlanta International Car Show

Originally posted by ATL_GS400
The International car show is coming to the ATL. March 10-14 Maybe we can get a look at the New GS?

http://www.accessatlanta.com/events/...nts/index.html
Lexus has already announced there will be an AWD version of it....but not necessarily on the 400. I think it is just the 330 for now. Anyway, that will help cure its marginal snow traction.
Old 03-09-04, 03:31 PM
LexFather

WWW.SELOC.NET. We are meetng up with the Acura crew and gonna go to the show together. Confirmed SC 430 TT will be there, I hope the GS will be too!

Old 03-10-04, 04:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
WWW.SELOC.NET. We are meetng up with the Acura crew and gonna go to the show together. Confirmed SC 430 TT will be there, I hope the GS will be too!
I don't see why the GS wouldn't be there.......hasn't at least one new version already been displayed at the Detroit show?
Old 03-10-04, 05:43 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

While you're at the show, check out the Chrysler 300C. That promises to be a NICE car.
Old 03-10-04, 07:31 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

As a Massachusetts resident, I visited the Northeast International Auto show about a month
ago (Providence, RI) and I was hoping to see the new GS. Naturally it wasn't there. In fact, Lexus alltogether wasn't there, nor was BMW. Pretty much every other company was displayed. In case
your wondering, here in the northeast we really don't see anything special. No new concepts, only
ones from previous years. What a joke!
I did however see the new Chrysler 300C and Dodge Magnum. Very nice. These cars are
definitely more upscale than the models they replace. Quality actually resinates from these cars.
They'll easily be one of the best values in their classes especially with those power and
performance figures.
Old 03-10-04, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Default Reply to JLSC4

I agree with you on the auto show circut.......FAR too much is held back for the Detroit show that could and should be introduced earlier, in other places. The traditional argument for the Detroit introductions is that it is the center of the industry. It WAS...no more. The buisness gets more and more globalized every year now. Several years ago Lincoln-Mercury packed up, left Detroit, and moved its headquarters to Irvine, CA.
Southern California, without question, is now the largest auto market in the country. The huge Washington, D.C-Baltimore area, where I live, is second only to California...this area sells SIX TIMES the number of new vehicles as the Detroit area does. We sell more new cars in this area than either New York or Chicago.....primarily because of the high income here.....like Southern California. Detroit is pretty much a blue-collar town with some auto-industry corporate headquarters that is living on its past glory. But.....that Detroit show is so permanently entrenched in the auto world that it is almost impossible to break into that mold.....even if it no longer reflects reality.
Old 03-13-04, 08:19 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Sadly the new GS was not there.

The impression that stuck out with me, as it does every year, was quality. To sit in and scrutinize the best of the best from numerous automakers gets me thinking. After looking at many flagships from various companies I was ready to get back to the Japanese vehicles, namely Nissan, Acura and Toyota/Lexus, where I felt at home. I still don't get the quality feel in anything else but a Japanese luxury vehicle. The new Audi A8 was close. Seeing such different vehicles back-to-back made me really appreciate many Japanese makes (not all). I can't, for the life of me, see why some folks furiously dislike Japanese cars.

It's easy for me to look at the Lexus as something I would much prefer, quality-wise, to a Mercedez or Bimmer, but if I were a passenger I would choose MB or the Bimmer long-wheelbase version for rear seat comfort alone.

I was able to sit in the VW Phaeton and speak with a representative about it. It was on display and roped off; the representative was showing it to only 2-4 people at a time. It was a welcome, relaxed change in pace. It's hand-built and luxurious but I don't see anything that really differentiates it. I saw many shared parts and design themes between it and many other VW's. Not sure if that is good for other VW's or bad for the Phaeton. At any rate, the VW rep. said that the Phaeton is a showcase car for future VW's.

There was a personally-owned Lamborghini Murcielago (among other vehicles) in a section that showcases wheels. The car was not roped off and you could peer inside but it was accompanied by a security guard that wouldn't allow anyone to touch the vehicle unless you wanted a swift hand slap

Two pictures: One we've seen here on CL before, the Toyota FTX which look big but is bigger in person. It is HUGE! Everyone was walking up to it saying "WOW, that thing is BIG". Second is a Saturn concept vehicle. Yeah, a Saturn! It looks awesome!! Maybe I think it looks so good because it's coming from Saturn whom I expect to have, well, ho-hum looking vehicles.

I could have spent three more hours alone in the showroom sitting in all the cars, I love it!
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta International Car Show-ftx.jpg  

Last edited by LexRX; 03-13-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-13-04, 08:22 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

The Saturn
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta International Car Show-saturn.jpg  
Old 03-13-04, 08:25 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

I can't resist, more pictures Bear with the pictures, they are not as clear as I'd like. The show doesn't have the best lighting for pictures, and I wasn't carrying my tripod around the show

The guarded Murcielago:
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta International Car Show-butler.jpg  

Last edited by LexRX; 03-13-04 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-13-04, 08:27 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

This crazy H2 had a gun fixed to the hood. Obviously not a real gun, but it did serve a purpose - it had a camera built into the fixture.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta International Car Show-butler2.jpg  
Old 03-13-04, 08:30 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Spyker

Part of the Ferarri/Maserati of Atlanta dealer booth.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta International Car Show-spyker.jpg  
Old 03-13-04, 08:34 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Custome TL from Acura. I could easily tell it had custom wheel and brakes. The seats looked excellent too, I like the color. I sat in the new TL and they have some very comfy seats.
Attached Thumbnails Atlanta International Car Show-tl.jpg  
Old 03-13-04, 10:11 PM
LexFather

First we had a mini-meet with the Acura CL guys and some Supra cousins at Andretti Speedlabs, we ate and hung out for a minute. We caravaned to the show together, I think 9 of us.

Just got back. Nice show. I had a hook up with the tickets so our SELOC crew got in for $5. I (and some of us, Jamiecbr900, Bitkahuna) knew AAP, they had their booth with the SC 430 TT. It was INCREDIBLE. THey let us get up close and personal with the car.

The Lexus booth, IMO, was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, but man, it was PACKED with people compared to Infiniti, Acura which were next and across to it. The TL concept does look bad-*** in person. 21" wheels. I hope Lexus steps it up soon, as it was a bland display.

The BMW display was okay, the Benz better (with an E55 u can sit in) but IMO the Porsche, I SHARTED when I saw the Carrera GT. Incredible. Then the good stuff was last for us.

The Murchialgo with rims, the GT2 with rims, the 530 with the AC Shiztner kit, the Gallardo, a 52 Maybach, what wonderful cars.

Old 03-14-04, 01:39 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

That TL is sweet!

Quick Reply: Atlanta International Car Show